Allegro Bavaro name change

TNJ1996

Aug 8, 2002
I was just informed through my travel agent/Apple Vacations that the Allegro Bavaro Resort in Punta Cana has changed it's name to Occidental Allegro Punta Cana. Supposedly this occurred with the majority of the Allegro resorts in the Caribbean/Mexico, etc.

Should I be hopeful in thinking that this may improve the former Allegro Bavaro??????? We're staying there in September, and we have heard mized reviews, most unfortunately negative.......

I'll keep my fingers crossed!!!!

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
I wouldn't count on any changes

Allegro was purchased by Occidental Hotels over 2 years ago, so if no changes have occured in that time I wouldn't expect to see any changes at all coming with the name change.

Overall I feel that Allegro Resorts hotels were pretty decent, so I wouldn't worry too much. I've stayed at two different Allegro Hotels, one in Mexico and one in the DR, and they were both pretty good.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Get ready DR...

...The Musicqueen is coming!!!
Ok...it looks like I'm finally getting the vacation I was promised...
Sat. Aug 24 through Friday Aug. 30

Allegro Bavaro Resort in Punta Cana!!!

I have seen the mixed reviews also, and after spending a wonderful week last year at the Barcel? Bavaro Beach, I'm a little worried about this resort, but getting a paid vacation for the first time after 12 years with this company, I can't complain!!!

My youngest son is joining me, as is my youngest brother. Please, if anybody has been there lately, let me know what to expect before Thursday, so I can try and change hotels.

Also, I need some info on what these two young people can do during the daytime...excursions and such...adverture things!!!

I know what I plan to do all week...Beach during the day, with all the activities included, and DANCING all night!!!

Thank you for any info you guys can provide me with!!!

Unfortunately, I will have to postpone the plans I had to meet some of you in SD, Santiago and POP...But I plan to be back for the Merengue Festival in October...!!! So, please wait for me!!!

Thanks again!!!

Music Queen check out their website for info, name may be changed but website is still Allegro, we were thinking out it for January but have decided on one of three locations Allegro Papagayo in Costa Rica or the Fiesta Palace or Grand Paradise Bavaro in Punta Cana.
Here is link
http://www.allegroresorts.com/allegro_s/bavaro/

By the way most Canadian tour companies rate it 3 star +

Last edited:

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Thanks, Wud...I've already checked out their website...but photos are limited, and info is the same as in every other resort....
I'm a littel scared 'cause my daughter and I stayed at Barcel? Decameron last year as a last minute getaway, and the place was terrible...from service, to rooms, to the beach...I didn't like anything there...and I don't want my son's and brother's first trip to DR to be unpleasant...
But I guess everything is a little better in Punta Cana...maybe we'll be lucky and have a good time anyway!! I always try to make the best of things...Thanks for the info...
Also, if anybody knows of any day trips, like 4x4 trips and such...please let me know...got to keep the guys entertained!

TNJ1996

Aug 8, 2002
Jojoncho-Man, I feel like I have been in the dark with the name change/buyout! At least now I can research more about the resort since I noticed on the Web that some call it Allegro Bavaro and some call it Occidental Allegro Punta Cana. Since most reviews I read have been trips in the last year, I won't get my hopes up!

Musicqueen-there is that Manati Park that might appeal to your kids. I know there are animal shows there and swimming with the dolphins...never been there so can't say how it is. Also, isn't there some Kids Club at the Allegro Bavaro? Also, not familiar with it, but remember running across it when researching the hotel....

Hlywud-It's good to here that they get good ratings. Here Allegro Bavaro is rated 4 stars by Apple Vacations, which is good, I think. After all, I can't imagine them promoting a place that was bad. Last year, went to the Caymans and stayed at an all inclusive which was rated 3 stars by Funjet and we really enjoyed ourselves(Beach Club Colony)! So hopefully, with the Allegro rated better, we won't be disappointed....

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hi folks,

I have not been inside the resort for a while but the comments I hear from people who have been there several times indicate that the resort must be pretty much run down.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Musicqueen,

I have several friends who work in the travel industry and this is not a resort that they would recommend in Punta Cana. Occidental Flamenco is the sister hotel and if you want night life this is the spot. Lots of tours to do in Punta Cana, Safari Big Truck Trip, ect., check with the hotel travel desk or service desk for their brochures. You must take the trip to Saona Island and Altos Chevon, absolutely beautiful.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Hey...great news...(at least for us!!!)
We have been switched over to the Melia Caribe Tropical in Punta Cana!!! I looked at their website and it seems wonderful...5 stars...and read some reviews that also are very favorable!!!
Now, does anybody know if they have a club (disco) there at the hotel? I know there are some good ones around...like Mang?, Pach? at the Riu Resorts, and even Are?to...which I loved the last time I was there, even though I can't remember where it's at...(I know it's in Punta Cana, at least, and that there was a very tall, handsome bartender there that told me his name was Robert and he was from Santiago!) See, I don't need any help in that department...
But please let me know about other ammenities in the hotel, if you've been there...
Thanks!

vanessa

Feb 6, 2002
I have been going to the Allegro Bavaro twice a year for about 10 years now, and have absolutley no complaints!!!! As an Allegro vacation club member we can vacation at any of the Allegro's and now any of the Occidentals...But I cant imagine going anywhere else!!! The resort is beautiful, not huge like some of the others in Punta Cana, but big enough to have a great time and very clean.The staff have always been great! The food is pretty good, with different themes every night and a good selection and the specialty restaurants are great!
The first few times I was there, there were no other hotels for miles...just the small village of Cabezo de Torro, now there are hotels on both sides (Natura and Sunscape) so the beach has become a little crowded....
I wouldnt call the resort run down at all! They have made many changes and improvements over the years, our unit was remodled a few years ago and looks great. The disco was renovated and now has a sports bar upstairs.....I will admit the last time I was there the music in the disco sucked!!!! It seemed that all the DJ wanted to play was Techno!! We did manage to convince him to throw in some Merengue and Bachata, but he did so begrudgingly!! (I woke up with a headache every morning and didnt know wether to blame the music or the partying!)
Anyhow....to get to my point, I wouldnt hesitate for a second to recommend the Allegro/Occidental Bavaro. I've been there as a family with my nephews, many times as a girls trip and also as a couples trip...and I've always had a great time!

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
MusicQueen...

OK, you go have fun now, while the rest of us work. Just don't come back saying you fell in love with some animator...you know we'll be all over you. Which actually doesn't sound like a bad idea! Ciao

Apple

TNJ1996 said:

Hlywud-It's good to here that they get good ratings. Here Allegro Bavaro is rated 4 stars by Apple Vacations, which is good, I think. After all, I can't imagine them promoting a place that was bad. Last year, went to the Caymans and stayed at an all inclusive which was rated 3 stars by Funjet and we really enjoyed ourselves(Beach Club Colony)! So hopefully, with the Allegro rated better, we won't be disappointed....
Apples ratings are 1 star higher than any travel company rating in Canada, it is a 3 star in our brochures. Nothing wrong with 3 stars, been to a number and had good results, they are basic and not a lavish.
But the Musicqueen has been upgrades to another resort, she will enjoy it I am sure, we will awaither reports.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
AB...Sorry...can't promise I won't come back in love...I LOVE EVERYTHING DOMINICAN!!!

I'm leaving the office right now...to finish getting ready...Tomorrow we leave Miami at 2:00 p.m. on a charter to PUJ...I promise to keep notes for a great report...and pictures, of course!!!

Thanks for all the good wishes...!!!