Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Questions asked (by tourists) of Banff Park staff
(Yes - sad but true!!)

"How do the elk know they are supposed to cross at the Elk Crossing signs?"
"At what elevation does an elk become a moose?"
"Are the bears with collars tame?"
"Is there anywhere that I can see the bears pose?"
"Is it o.k. to keep an open bag of bacon on the picnic table or should I store it in my tent?"
"Where can I find the Alpine Flamingos?"
"I saw an animal on the way to Banff today - could you tell me what it was?"
"Are there birds in Canada?"
"Where does Alberta end and Canada begin?"
"Do you have a state map of Jasper?"
"Is this the part of Canada that speaks French or is that
Saskatchewan?"
"If I want to go to B.C. do I have to go through Ontario?"
"Which way is it to the Columbia Ricefields?"
"How far is Banff from Canada?"
"What's the best way to see Canada in a day?"
"Do they search you at the B.C. border?"
"When we enter British Columbia do we have to convert our money to British pounds?"
"Where can I buy a raccoon hat? ALL Canadians own one, don't they?"
"So, eight kilometres away... is that in miles?"
"Canadians are on the decibel system, you know."
"Is that two kilometres by foot or car?"
"Where do you put the animals at night?"

Tourist: "How do you get your lakes so blue?"
Park staff: "We take the water out in the winter and paint the
bottom."
Tourist: "Oh, I get it."

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
I've got a question. But it's a serious one.
When do the leaves start falling up there? Here in Atlanta they start mid-late October. Just wanted to get an idea how far ahead Canada is in leaf falling.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Depending on the weather, here in Calgary, it's usually about mid-September. I've been told there's nothing more beautiful than an autumn on the Atlantic coast of Canada...my husband was awestruck at the autumn in Calgary...leaves of red, orange, and yellow was something he'd never seen before.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
leaves falling

Here on Vancouver Island the leaves fall off October and November. In northern Alberta They are gone before the end of September. In Southern Ontario Around the same time as Atlanta.
In my travels I've noticed they are long gone in Chicago and New York before they disappear in Vancouver. In Calgary where Trina lives you can get snow during any month of the year, go from -30 degrees in January to +40 degrees overnight and the leaves turn colour on a Monday and are gone by Friday.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Jim,
We celebrate Canada's Birthday on July 1st. Which we call "CANADA DAY" I don't understand your question about being mad. Explain?

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
There is nothing more beautiful on God's Earth

than the autumn colours in Northern Ontario. Timing depends on the first frost date and weather conditions however the Ministry of Natural Resources post "Autumn Colour" dates in the media. Many areas of the province have special train or bus tours so tourists can enjoy the splendour of the maple reds,birch and poplar yellows and oranges set against a backdrop of evergreen and sky blue.
A visual delight for sure that doesn't last long enough IMHO. Yes it is a definite sign of winter just around the corner but I can't imagine living in a country where you wouldn't see this display year after year (of course I do have the luxury of spending the "white" months in the very green and brown Dominican Republic).

And Jim.....why should we be "mad" at the Americans? We kept the best part of the continent for ourselves!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Coming in out of the Cold

Actually Jim we northerners keep the states of California, Arizona and Florida economies going. In the winter over 3/4 of the US is colder than where I live in the frozen North of British Columbia. Many winters we don't get any snow. We don't hate you guys, we feel pity because of all your tornadoes, heat waves, floods, blizzards..etc. Come on up Jim to where the weather may be a little colder but less deadly.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Jim, yes we have a fourth of July. It happens every year the day after July 3. I'm pretty sure (jeje) every country in the world has a fourth of July.

Last edited:
Jim H.

We are not mad at the Americans at all, yes we have a fourth of July as Trina said, and as Bob S mentioned we keep a lot of states economy going. But I must be fair and say that we do have a lot of American tourist who visit Canada, some cross at Windsor, next to your ballywick and have snow ski's on top their cars in Mid July and want to know how far t is to the ski resorts. Our beer is much better than yours, or whiskey is supreme, our air here in southern Ontario is full of the pollutants from Detroits incinertors, we have much in common with you northern yanks.