The color orange.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
Is anaranjado the color or the fruit? I have seen it in some Spanish material as the color. But then I saw the color listed as something else once.

Mainer, Confused

Lyse

Jan 2, 2002
It's the color, the fruit is naranja. Maybe for the color you saw "color naranja"

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
The workbook that I use for my kids by McGraw-Hill publishing has the color as anaranjado. I thought I had heard differently, but couldn't remember the source.

Thanks so much,
Mainer

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
What about mamey? My dictionary lists this as a white blossomed tree, but I often hear the colour orange described as mamey. Is this DR slang?

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
We have the Jumpstart Spanish CD, and it calls the color orange naranja. I think that is where I got confused. I make flashcards, and the kids have to match the Spanish name to the English.
Thanks for clarifying this one.

Jane J.
Are there a lot of phrases/words that are used differently in the DR? This is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

Mainer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, there is slang, just as there is in the US. For example, you have words in Maine that aren't used in North Carolina. But don't worry about it. Just continue what you are doing to get the basics. You can't get the rest without a lot of experience using the language. And even then, if you are like me, you will never be able to stop learning.

Your children, on the other hand, are likely to surprise you with the speed they pick up the language once they are playing with Dominican children. They will soon be way ahead of you in their ability to converse in Spanish.

With respect to slang, you hear much less of it when you are conversing with people with a good education. They are also much easier to understand since they speak slower, more distinctly, and are less inclined to run their words together.

The important thing when you are here is to speak Spanish at every opportunity. Don't hold back just because you aren't able to express yourself as well as you can in English. You only learn through much use and making frequent errors. Your best friends will be those Dominicans who correct your errors; this is something you should encourage them to do. You are much less likely to repeat a mistake if you know you have made it.

Remember your children when they learned English. You have to go through the same process in learning Spanish, even though you are an adult.

PS: I have always appreciated the advice of the person who told me to always speak good Spanish, not the Spanish used on the street. A small example: I always say buenos d?as even though most on the street say buen d?a. (Educated Dominicans more likely to say buenos d?as.)

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hi mainer,

Sure there is slang, but once you have the basics down, this too will follow. Slang can be wonderful - if you have a sense of humour.

Ken, buen d?a is slightly less formal, but entirely correct. I agree with you in that nothing is worse than the person who has no grasp on the basics and spouts out his co?os and leaves his esses out, etc. But for those of us who like to relate to the people "on the street", from our presumably white towers, colloquialisms and informal-speak is not a crime. There is a difference between speaking correctly and talking down to people.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It is definately true that your kids will pick up the language and slang quickly. I had the advantage of attending olegio Carol Morgan where English is the main language but on the playground you heard many different languages. Within a couple of months I could cuss in Spanish, Dominican, french and German...but the good news is that within 6 months I could carryon a pretty good conversation.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J. said:
There is a difference between speaking correctly and talking down to people.

I agree. You don't have to talk like a campesino in order to have a positive relationship with one.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, Do you wash and sterilize your hands after having a conversation with one of "those" people?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Nope.

bullanim.gif

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Good call Mondongo!

It is not to hard to tell when the code phrase;"Well Educated"is used to say;White,Rich Dominican by someone who is;"Mal Educado"! CRISCO

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jane J.

You had me wondering, so I looked up mamey.

Mamey Sapote
(Pouteria sapota)

Comes from the tropical lowlands of Central America.The fruit is large, round and has a thick, brown skin. The flesh is firm, with a pleasant peach-apricot flavour.

http://www.capetrib.com.au/mamey.htm

Mama is a peach in Japan.
mk

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Why, thank you, mkohn!

(Every time I see the title of this thread, I imagine a new book by Alice Walker. :) )

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My turn.
Naranja is a fruit and a color. I wud say that anaranjado is a shade of orange.
Mamey is oftentimes used for orange since the fruit is pretty orangy. There is also alittle town known by the name of Mamey. Its real name is Mamey de Los Hidalgos. They make good yogurt there.

Knock knock:

Who's there?

Orange.

Orange who?

Orange you gonna ask me in?

HB;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hear yuh!

I have heard "Oh rang je Cr?" --> Orange Crush, for years...And laughed all the time..

Yet, when I asked for a "Siete oop" they looked at me like I was from Mars.--> Seben oop is the preferred name!! Go figure!

HB:classic:

Last edited:

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
For Jane J.

The color Purple.

The same book calls it morado on one page and violeta on the very next one. Same topic with different worksheets. Go figure.