Marriage

palomita

Aug 23, 2002
Hi I am a U.S. Citizen and I am a woman. I am looking forward to getting married in the Dominican Republic. And I needed to know where would I go to get the Single Status Affidavit. I have looked for Hotels in the Dominican Republic to help me and have gotten no response. Can someone please help me? And is there anything else I would need? Thank you in advance, palomita.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Go to US Citizen services at the US Consulate, (I think this is only available between 1pm and 3 pm Mondays thru Fridays, but you better call and check first before coming to the Consulate) - take your passport, fill out their one page form, and hand them about $50 or $60 US to pay for a cursory glance by a consular officer at the document you just filled out, and then they will apply their stamp.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is in the archives as this subject has been brought mant time. Palomita just hit the search button with single avvidavit as the keywords. You can also get your single avvidavit done by a lawyer or Notary Public in the states, but it has to be in Spanish and will probably cost you around the same. I had mine done here in Canada for $35 Canadian and had no problems. Also take your birth certificate with you just in case they want it.

S

Stephen

Single Affidavit

You can also have it done by the consulate office in PUERTO PLATA. I had mine done there 2 years ago.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
CORRECTION! I went through this is May. The consulate no long issues this piece of paper. Was a bit upset because they use to charge $55 and it ended up costing me a lot more. Part of that was because we were running late, the elections and having someone else do something that we could have.

We were at the consulate at 7 in the morning and they told us they no longer handle this. So we then went to the civil office to get the license and the sign said that I needed one. Mistake 1) there was a notary and lawyer right next door to the office. The lawyer had the notary type up the letter (3 times because of mistakes) and then I singed, he signed, the notary signed. Then he claimed that it needed to be legalized. To this day, I cannot figure out why this needed to be done since this piece of paper was only used locally and was turned over to the civil office. I know on my wife's birth certificate and our marriage certificate they do not usually "legalize" it at the JCE but if you are going to use them in the US or for immigration then it needs those have to be legalized. (Side note: if you are going to use the papers in court there are like 3 extra steps to accomplish prior to be admitted in court in the US)

I would suggest that you start at the place where you are going to pick up your marriage license, and ask them. Also bring your passport you will need it for the license and for the letter as it is refernced in the letter, like they would a cedula for a Dominican.

Jerry