Value of peso

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
One local (Puerto Plata) exchange house was offering RD $18.25 to the US $ on Wednesday. I would think anything from RD $18 20 - RD $18.50 would be the rate for BUYING US $1.00 as of today, but I haven't checked it!!! - Grahame.

Last edited:

james

Jan 14, 2002
I got 18.45 for checks on Saturday at an exchange house/cambio in Sosua without bargaining.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
It won't be $20 when you arrive in early September. But the way things are going, it will reach that mark early next year. I had been predicting $20 by the end of the year, but the government always shores up the peso just before the main tourist season to lower the rate versus the dollar to make a vacation here look like a good value for tourists.

However, their attempt to lower the peso this past week by injecting $50 million US dollars into the economy (their traditional way of doing this) failed as the effects of this artificial lowering lasted only a few days and the peso climbed back up to it's current exchange rate. I heard it was already going over $18.50 in some places,...and climbing more.