Age discrimination in the DR?

CorletoLovesDR

Jul 8, 2002
Hi Everyone,

Just out of curiosity, has anyone noticed how in most help-wanted ads in the dominican newspapers it is pointed out that employees are needed to be between 18 and 35 years of age? A couple of my siblings in the DR are now in their 40's and are having a hell of a time finding a job because of their age. They are both experienced professionals, one an accountant and one an architect.
Doesn't that constitute age discrimination? I would like to see any opinions on this matter from people on this discussion board.
Thanks.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
My personal opinion on this is that the employer should have the right to ask for whatever they are really looking for, this would stop a lot of wasted time on both sides. If their looking for a 22yr old, good-looking female, I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to ask for this. The reality is, if an employer is looking for a certain type of person, then they are going to interview and waste peoples time until they get what their looking for.

I sometimes think the whole discrimination issue has gone to far.
Especially when people from other countries/cultures try and impart their moral values...

tgraf12

Aug 15, 2002
I guess if i was a 22-y/o, I'd agree with you, but I'm not. It's fine to say it's gone too far if you're not an older professional out there looking for a job because you have to survive, but if you're a qualified professional who has to flip burgers to survive because of such discrimination, it's a bit of a different story. I'm still within the range of employability for the most part at 36, but it's beginning to get a bit dicey even for me.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is it really age that is the problem, or is it that older persons have higher salary expectations than younger ones?

richard

Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
My personal opinion on this is that the employer should have the right to ask for whatever they are really looking for, this would stop a lot of wasted time on both sides. If their looking for a 22yr old, good-looking female, I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be able to ask for this. The reality is, if an employer is looking for a certain type of person, then they are going to interview and waste peoples time until they get what their looking for.

I sometimes think the whole discrimination issue has gone to far.
Especially when people from other countries/cultures try and impart their moral values...

At least they are being honest as to what they want. In Canada and I am sure the UK and US older people waste their own time and money chasing after jobs when the employer isn't interested in them at all. One look at them or by reading their experience in their resume the employer knows he doesn't want them. As Ken writes further down people with experience want higher wages and many employers anywhere want to train people in their own system.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
There is a basic difference between working in the DR and working in the US. In the DR people don't change jobs very often, and most of the time once you join a company it is expected that you will remain loyal to that company for many years. For this reason employers would prefer to hire younger people, since they're expected tenure in the company is longer because retirement is further away.

On another note there's the issue of obsolescence (or something like that). Most of the things that a 40 yr. old learned in college are no longer relevant in today's business environement, so unless they work hard on staying on top of things chances are most of their knowledge would be outdated. I know what you're going to say "oh, but what about they're experience?!?!?". Well, the fact is that a lot of the skills that were developed on a previous job will not be transferable to a new company.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that if you're 45 and you have a impresive resume chances are that you will be at least considered seriously for the job.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If I were in my 40s, job hunting but being turned down because I was over 35, I'm sure that I would also feel there is age discrimination in the DR. However, being well over 40, one of the things that I like most about the DR is that "mature adults" are not made to feel old as they are in the US. When I visit the US I immediately start feeling old, and when I look at the people there in my age bracket, they look old.

But in the DR I don't feel anywhere near my chronological age, and I am not treated as though I am "old". People accept me for who I am and what I can do, age has nothing to do with it.

For a number of years I worked for Hotel Gran Bahia in Samana, supervising a group of young Dominicans. We had a great relationship and I never felt they considered me "old". Now I live in Sosua, don't have a job, but spend an hour or so each day in the gym. The others(much younger) who are regulars at the same time treat me as one of the group.

In a country where a man 90 years old can be considered a serious candidate for president, it is hard to make a case for age discrimination.

N

Not registered

Only when you are in that position will you understand

Age discrimination has a powerful effect on the wrok force not only in non hiring, but in productivity, well being and incentive for workers to produce.

Age discrimination can be obvious, such as a bank hiring a pretty, inexperienced 25 year old woman as a teller instead of an older woman with a strong background in similar jobs. But it's the subtler forms of age discrimination that may have the most powerful effect on cutting short the productive years of people willing/needing to work--the executive who is moved to a smaller office when he passes 60, the 50-year-old professional who knows hard work won't bring any more promotions, the vacancy filled by a younger staff member before older workers even know about it, and the new boss who makes life so miserable for the 50-year-old secretary, he inherits, that she quits.

Age discrimination is sometimes allowed to continue with surprisingly little protest because of long-held assumptions that it is right and proper for older workers to move aside to make room for younger workers who need to support families, that older workers are less competent, and that there?s no mileage in training them for new jobs.

In fact, for a variety of reasons, older workers have been leaving the labor force. The percentage of men 45 to 54 in the work force declined from 1990 to 1996 and for men 55 and older,work in third world countries has been primarily self employment or family owned business (To a greater percent). The percentage of women 40 and older in the work force hasn?t changed substantially because the dramatic rise in the number of women needing to support themselves and family has offset the increase in early retirements.

When age 60 arrives or any option to cease work is offered, what prompts the employee to leave--a negative work climate that sees older employees as less valuable, the desire to be free, or a belief that family assistance or a pension, plus some savings will provide a livable income? The answer is probably a combination of the three, but some employment experts think ageism plays a larger role than most people are willing to admit.

It is remarkable to note that most posts in SUPPORT of age discrimination are from those who either are self employed or are past the age when one would reasonably be expected to be employed, thus the plaque of age discrimination has no effect or meaning to them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are Employees Pushed out in DR because of Age?

CorletoLovesDR started this thread with an observation about the age specifications in employment ads, and the problems being experienced by siblings in finding employment because they are in their 40s.

What about the person who is working and desires to continue to work? Is there a practice of terminating employees in the Dominican Republic solely because they have reached a certain age?

(Considering everything we have learned about DR job security in recent threads, seems to me this is a tough environment, e.g., many employees of the government are pushed out when the administration changes, the professional schools are graduating more than can successfuly be absorbed, people over 35 who must seek other employment are discriminated against, the unemployment rate is high, etc.)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I have two observations:

1. Do not compare the US to the Dominican Republic, simply because the demographics are very different. This is a "young" country. Over 50% of the population are under 18, and the remaining can't be too far out, therefore there are always more candidates within the youth.
  2. I don't think that there is a particular discrimination. If a job requires certain skills, habilities or agility that are hard to find when you are 40, then chances are the employer will chose a younger person.

I've recruited personnel for my employer on some ocassions, we once hired someone almost twice my age to substitute somebody 5 years my junior. She was an excellent employee, but that was because of her personality not her age. It is not strange here to find 40-50 year olds that are afraid of computers, yes, afraid. In that case not because of a limitation inherent to their age, but because of their lack of interest and training. That is not something likely to happen with a young that just graduated.
    [/list=1]

Just my two cents.

N

Not registered

PIB

Age discrimination is not an issue if the prospective or current employee is as competent as the "older" person, it is when a person over 40 (By US law) is either denied promotion, not hired, laid off etc. and they ARE as capable of the same work skills.

The few exceptions are in demonstrated fields such as aviation, military, police work etc., where there is demonstrable proof that physical and or mental skills have deteriorated or will before the useful life of the employee is attained. This is especially true in fields such as aviation where an airline would be financially repressed to continually hire pilots at 50 years old when their (the pilots) skills would likely have a life span of only a few years after the airline expends over a million dollars in training.

There are exceptions to every rule, thus we have lawyers :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Originally posted by Pib Just my two cents.

Pib, the "two cents" you contribute when the spirit moves you always has great value for me. Your two cents, including in this thread, always make much sense.

tumbs.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pib, not on the point of this thread, but related to your observations.

The young fellows that use the gym in Sosua that I do like to have me there. They tell me it gives them hope that they, too, can get to be my age and still work out. Reason is, they all say that when a Dominican man gets to be 50, he thinks he is on the way out.

I'll take their observation more seriously from now, given your comments about this being a country of young people (even though it is a very old country).

I might also mention that one of the young fellows was talking with me the other day about his job in Cabarete. I am certain he is a valuable employee and has no reason to fear losing his job, but in the course of the conversation he mentioned that every employed Dominican has a fear of losing his job because it is so difficult to get another one.

N

Not registered

Re: PIB

Pib said:
I was positive that the OP was about "age discrimination in the DR, not about the US.

And you are correct the original post was about age discrimination in the DR (Good memory.) I DECIDED to carry it further by stating an opinion backed by studies that have showed how AD has affected the population worlwide, of that I AM POSITIVE

Janice:alien:

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
In the Us many donimican that are returning in the fucture are well educated here, most middle age and with great retirement accounts, income about 1 million dominican pesos a year, they have no need of jobs, but they might want to keep bussy, and apply for those jobs that discriminates against the aged... they would hve the resouces to make changes .... the ads might show some changes.. it takes money to create changes...within a system that permits age ,sex and race . discrimination.young good looking white women..

D

Dubld

Qisqeuana-young good looking white women what? Do you think that's who gets the best jobs? Just curious, being part of that group (or so I am told).

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
I was there n 1985 when such a requirement was posted for a secretary. I founded to be outraugeous! There was no speed or brains requirement. My uncle also said this was justified, who would want to look at a unactrative secretary. this was also sexist.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sad but true!
Lots of ads in the papers have these requirements...20-30 female...

HB:(

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Nobody protests when modeling agencies seek the young and attractive because it is part of the job.

The problem comes from each person's interpretation of what the jobs is about from the job title, and the employers' discretion in advertising what the job requirements are. They aren't going to say they want someone that looks cute because they like to look at cute girls, or that they want someone who at least potentially will provide sexual favors.

As an owner of companies, I protest that I cannot hire based on MY criteria. It's my company, and I'll run it the way I want to, as I am the one that will win or lose based on my practices.

I go further. I think discrimination should be allowed, period. All types.

Robert is correct. Being up front about what they are looking for prevents wasting everybodys time.

An employer is going to select as he pleases regardless of what the laws say. For those over the hill in employability, that's life. If you don't like it, start your own company. Then you can make the rules and live or die by the consequences of your decisions.

You CANNOT force wisdom or decency down peoples' throats through regulation.

If an advertisement says they want a young and attractive female, there is a reason. Obviously there is some feature that the employer feels can only be done by such. Maybe it is visual, maybe sexual, maybe financial, whatever. If you are older and think you can do the job, and can/will provide tje features the employer wants, it's up to you to convince.

It is sad but true, so accept it and do what you can. If you are a 40 year old applying for a job where the employer wants a pretty young thing, maybe you need to add that you have excellent oral sex technique, or a cute young daughter that will be willing to "help out" when needed. Oh, you say what? Yes, its rude and disgusting. Much of life is. Accept it, don't apply, and get over it.

Maybe it isn't visual or sexual. Maybe it's attitude, ability to mold, pay expectations, longevitiy, who knows. Don't expect the employer to tell you which. You always have the option of making a list of all possible reasons and adress each, explaining why this doesn't apply to you during the interview.

If it were me, I'd go as far as to lie and then say I did what I had to do to get this interview, just like I'll do what it takes to fulfill the commitments of this job should I get it.

The employer wants what they want and no complaint or regulation is going to change that.

For example, you want to be young and pretty. Can any regulation change what you want?

Last edited: