Juan Dolio hotels

P

pedroA

Would like to visit during the last 2 weeks of Sept. in JuanDolio.
Have not been to the DR since 1995.
Is 'La Marena' hotel still open? If it's not, what else is close to it?
What about Playa Esmeralda, has anyone ever stayed there?
Also, we're leaving from Montreal and all charter flights
in Sept. are landing in LaRomana (for about $700cdn return).
I've checked alternatives with AA with stops in Phili or Miami
and those are more than $1000cdn.
Any other ideas, suggestions ?? Are flights out of Toronto going to LasAmericas? Tks for the help.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Marena Beach Resort is closed for renovation!

Not sure when they will be re-opening. Also Punta Garza is closed. So if you want inexpensive you'll be looking at the guest houses like Flor di loto ($20-25 US /night)- 809-526-1146.
Don Pedros (approx $25 US / night), Villa 2000 (slightly higher but air-conditioned with refrigerator in room and security safe also) or Naito (the mini-market on the corner by Punta Garza) now has rooms to rent.
Then there are the AI's of course such as Talanquera, Decameron,Colonial Tropical,La Cappella, Best Western Metro, Melia Juan Dolio, Coral Costa Caribe, Playa Real, and also Plaza Real which is not all inclusive. Most of the AI's also rent to the general public by the night or week however I have no idea of rates.

PGerace

Feb 16, 2002
Hotel Playa Esmeralda

Saludos! I stayed at the Hotel Playa Esmeralda in Guayacanes about 1 & 1/2 years ago. From what I remember it cost about $45 US for the room. It had air conditioning, swimming pool, meals included, and was right on the beach. It was clean and the staff was friendly. There is a fishing village at the other end of the beach where you could meet local Dominicans and have great meals of freshly caught fish and vegetables. If you wanted to enjoy the night life there was a local disco within walking distance in Guayacanes or you could go to the hotels in Juan Dolio with a taxi or juajua. They have a website too.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
pedroA said:
I've checked alternatives with AA with stops in Phili or Miami
and those are more than $1000cdn.
Any other ideas, suggestions ?? Are flights out of Toronto going to LasAmericas? Tks for the help.

You can check with www.belairtravel.com as they have air only and packages ( sometimes the package may be worth it for the cheap air fare and they do sell Juan Dolio) - the main reason I recommend this site is that unlike AT for example if you are incorrect on the available date they show you dates that ARE available not just "no flights".

That said I think until at least late October/early November it is slim pickin's for other than La Romana and the ubiquitous SJU/POP since the tour co's all seem to really be pitching LRM as the airport even if the package is Hamaca, or Juan Dolio.

You really have to read between the lines to make sure - once Canada 3000 prior to going bust was selling "SDQ" flights for MORE than La Romana and it was the same plane going to La Romana and you were on your own to get to SDQ or Boca Chica etc.

I called and asked them how they did that, they were not amused to be found out. It was nearly $50 more and no ground transportation so a rip-off to be sure.

On occasion there is a cruise line doing cruises from SDQ itself and then there are flights to meet that cruise into SDQ airport and air only is sometimes available.

Otherwise unless you only travel for a few days and there are AA websavers ( which are often no great deal out of YYZ) you are looking at the $1,000-$1,400 AA from Toronto to SDQ. I go to SDQ airport 6 or 7 times a year and he best has been around $900 CDN.

P

pedroA

Tks everyone for your feedback. I checked Belair Travel and
they have AI specials for last 2 wks of sept.