A quick trip to an AI in Playa Dorada

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My kids went up to the Club Dorado in Playa Dorada last week, and me an 'Ma went up on Sunday.

Kids had a ball.

The first thing I have seen under the new Hotetur management was a drive for cost cutting. All the rugs have been removed from the rooms. About thirty jobs went, too.
No soap, just a freaking bottle that is supposed to give you a squirt when you want to wash your hands.
No fridges in the rooms!
Outside control of the A/C. They give you this song and dance that there is an automatic control of the A/C when you enter-leave the room. Bull. Europeans are not A/C addicted like we are, and they wouldn't know if the A/C was on or not, especially if the fan was blowing air into the room.
My kids were really pissed at this situation and complained a great deal, finally being moved to another suite to sleep....
Ma smelled a rat right away and after five minutes, called the Front Desk. "I didn't leave my house to have to work!. Either we get A/C or we are out of here!" "Please advise."
Well, within five minutes the compresser cut in, and we were like a meat locker for the next two days.
The toilet paper sheets are reduced about 1/4. There are only three towels, two bath, one hand in the room.

That said, the people were great, the place quite full, the food was AI but varied. Breakfast was the best, but I must say that the draft Presidente was ice cold! All you could take....

We only had four meals in the two days: dinner Sunday, breakfast and dinner on Monday, and breakfast this morning.

I was able to get in a round of golf with Bush Baby. My old friends at the POP Golf Club put us in a VIP class and we enjoyed it completely.

I did find the hotel to be very clean, and of course, the service people more than just nice. They were excellent and actually made up for what might have been lacking in creature comforts.

It is difficult to judge. We have been going to this place since it opened. It was wonderful to be able to take a flock of people there and cook, clean and set up house for a couple of weeks, all in the security of Playa Dorada. We had kids on the floor-the wall to wall was THICK!, but it was great.
With the shift to AI, we are limited to how many we can have. Takes some of the fun out of it. Except for the golf course, it is making Punta Ruc?a much more attractive for next break we take..

HB

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
The first thing I have seen under the new Hotetur management was a drive for cost cutting. All the rugs have been removed from the rooms. About thirty jobs went, too.
No soap, just a freaking bottle that is supposed to give you a squirt when you want to wash your hands.
No fridges in the rooms!
HB

Hardly sounds like even 3 star accomodations. But, what are the hotels to do? The tour companies that bring the majority of clients to most hotels pressure, pressure, pressure the hotels to charge less in order to compete, but don't reduce their own portion of what the client pays. Consequently, even when fulll, the hotels barely make any money after providing room, meals, and drinks.

Seems to me that many of the hotels in the DR are in a downward spiral.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Got that right. And it is a shame....

Cooks do a wonderful job re-inventing. I have to say that I enjoy some of it. They had some Batter fried Coliflower...I had to really controllthe urge to do about a hundred pieces. I might be pregnant??? Ho Ho HO!

But, jeez, the people there are so nice and hard working and you could eat off the floors.

HB:)

RE: Three star...You know, Ken, that in Europe, the Three Stars don't even have a fan in the room? At least not in the two I stayed in in Mallorca a few years ago. And they touted the fact that they were "THREE STARS" !! So, as I see it, the Europeans don't know the difference if the compressor is on or not.!! I think that is going to come into play in the newer hotels.

Dominicans who build the hotels HAVE to have AC but the Euros don't..Interesting, huh?

Last edited:

Supatramp

Nov 3, 2002
Hello there,
I'm sorry, but I have to take exception to this derogatory talk about Europeans. I know you Yanks think you know it all, but let me tell you that after 6 visits to the DR, this European(Scot) well knows whether the a/c is on or not.
David.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dude a Scotsman wouldn't know if there was toilet paper

Actually, my point was that in Europe, A/C is pretty much for 5 star hotels. At least it was like that at the places I stayed in Mallorca.. And, of course, they don't have the heat we have here.

If you have been here 6 times, I would imagine you might know a thing or two. Generally speaking, however, I think that they were trying to fool with us and the compressor. The 'noise' was there but not the icy cool feeling.

By the bye, why would a Scotsman spend that much bandwidth?

And only one post, mon! Give us more of yur wisdom, please...

Hb, a Spalding out of Clan Murrey!! Poorest of the poor if I am to believe the ancestors!!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Single Ply Sh** Tickets

HB,

We didn't work our way to the top of the foodchain to have to put up with anything less than double-ply.

I don't care if this is a Thirld World country, give me double-ply or give me death!

Does the golf course stack up with Playa Grande?

BYOTP

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Ok....I'm now convinced! If Rob doesn't yank the thread I'm going to post a trip report AND why DR tourism is in serious trouble re: Europe and African tourist trade!!!
It may not seem like it's DR related but having read this report from HB I think it's a NEED TO KNOW........
Watch for it .......

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MommC: With baited breath.
Actually, I am going to try and organize a move to clean up the country. Might as well do something..

HB

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Better late than never

I hardly ever read this section cause I hear enough about hotels during my work week.I feel the urge however to put in my 2 centavos worth
Hillbilly
You hit the nail on the head they were messing with you and Europeans really dont notice the dfference contrary to our poster supatramps assertations to the contrary.Unfortunatly Hotetur is a low budget operator who deal mostly in Brits and other Europeans who scour the teletex for the cheapest possible all in deal.We are the only place in the Carribean that they can have a 14 day holiday for 699 sterling,thats air all you can eat and drink and lodgings.Hey dont look for the Royal Family and company to show up ok,The quality has to be affected its a real shame.Some of us do remember the better times.Only when torists are willing to pay a fair price will the quality come back
.Johnny Honda
Dreaming of the good old days:confused:
Oh yeah look at Hoteturs other propertys,example Villas Doradas and you know what I mean by low budget

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
Euros and complaining....

I believe that many of them would notice but not complain...figuring that no A/C is part of the all inclusive......

In Europe, the tip is fixed and included in the price....

That's why the AI's are always full of Euro ' cattle' feeding at the trough together! Got there 15 minutes late......Oh well....too bad!

And if the beer is part of the package...who cares!

And if I've offended anyone....I'm in big trouble with my French wife and Australian-born kids....

goneglobal

Dec 6, 2002
I forgot...lets run the numbers....

At 699GBP....+ taxes.....first there's the travel agent's %, then the airlines....and the ?, and ?

Like Hillbilly, I've stayed in a few over the years...as a walk-in and it was always a strange experience for me.....they are everywhere on this planet...always like an island on the landscape, culturally speaking.

But hey! like Hillbilly, I love a good island every now and then...