Dual citizenship and social security?

Favorite Son

Aug 20, 2002
If your a dual citizen say US and DR, and your of the proper age which social security to you get. At my age I have a certian amount of Qtrs for US social security and could work in DR for 20 years easy. At that point can you double dip? I am not trying to be greedy just curious?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Son, do you honestly believe that there will be one cent left in either country's social security system to pay you back when you are ready to collect???

Come on down, they need more rubes like you to pay into the new system coming in the DR.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
20 years is a long way away! I somehow think we aren't going to have enough tax payers to cover the burden...

As for the DR system, forget it!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
You don't even need to have dual citizenship (U.S. and D.R.) to get two social security checks. Any foreign resident in the D.R. can be a beneficiary (Art. 5 of Law 87-01). I believe the same is the case in the U.S. A green-card holder who works and pays into the system will get his monthly check upon retirement.

Favorite Son

Aug 20, 2002
Thanks, for the input. I agree both social systems will be broke, but in that case all the countries do is print more money, which devaules your payments. It is still beter then Lucent, Enron, webvan or world com stock options!!!