Are we doing enough?

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
I was just thinking as I often do about the most vulnerable and distressed of the Domincan population the children. I think that I was reading a reply a few days ago that Robert had giving to someone about the number of registered members that this site has I was thinking what a difference with the combined wealth of us all that we could make in the lives of those children of the DR that need help the most.

I was thinking and would welcome any feed back on the idea of
adopting a Dominican child via "World Vision" or some other organization committed to helping the children of the DR.

What does everyone else think about doing the same if they are not already doing this? Does this sort of help really make a difference? or is the overhead for such operations just too high to make a difference? All comments are welcomed I posted in this section because perhaps it is a debatable topic with all that we get from the DR are we doing enough to contribute to the DR?

Isaac

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
love da DR said:
I
I was thinking and would welcome any feed back on the idea of
adopting a Dominica child via "World Vision" or some other organization committed to helping the children of the DR. Isaac

Better yet adopt a Dominican child since this is a Dominican Republic board - the country of Dominica can get their own message board, eh?

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
Simple mistake I meant "La Republica Dominicana"

RickToronto by the way thankyou for your thought provoking insights on this issue, I will reflect upon your copious contributions for many days to come.

Thankyou for taking the time to announce to the world your particular thoughts of helping the children of the DR in such a positive way.

Isaac, uhm getting one step closer to being "perfect in spelling" and running away to the DR!!

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You want to help Isacc?

Then collect all the childrens clothes you can find! Church group,family,friends,rummage/garage sales.Bring all the clothes with you next time.Drive outside of Santiago,stop where you see poor children and give the clothes to their parents yourself.No 50%administrative fees,no expensive advertising campaigns,no "BullShit"!100% of what you collect goes to the kids! CRISCO

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
Chris you make a good point.

Your post got me thinking, I will start looking into ways that I might be able to make a susbstanitive contribution to the DR.
Carrying many bags of clothes to the DR on my next trip would certainly make me indistinguishable from true Dominicans lol.
But seriously I will look very closely at what I can do here in the States and when I visit, that wayI can always keep my mind on the DR and at the same time be doing something helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Isaac, oh yeah oneday I'm running away to the DR.

marion harshman

Jan 2, 2002
There are very good orphanages in the country. We worked with one in Puerto Plata teaching art and sewing. Devote you time to teaching a useful trade and this will be a terrific contribution.
MarionHarshman

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
One of the better ideas to pop up on this BBin some time.

rick you
mutley-ani1.gif

Dominicites and Dominimites??? Wonderful thinking!! Thanks!

uquakmeup.gif

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Isaac, great post. We spent a month in Puerto Plata this summer and I found myself wondering how to "really" help. We went to Luperon which has a Compassion International office in town and I saw a mom reading a letter from someone in the states (a comapssion sponsor) while her little one toddled around. This made me feel like in that town at least there is a presence to help the kids get to school and get some of the basics they need to survive.

Cris Colon: the clothes idea is great. Give me more good tips like that one. I agree with you about giving 100% to the kids.

I went to a missions debriefing last week for our trip and one of the emphases was "make a relationship, keep a relationship" with the people we met while in the DR. Don't come down for a short time with lots of promises. Make a commitment to go back, to keep in touch, to build a relationship! My pastor said "Plan on your grandkids meeting their grandkids!" I thought this was a great idea and it helped me to focus on the people I had met. One girl was Damalbi. She is 7 and she is deaf. Soon enough I will have my pictures posted of this little girl. And I really hope to visit again before she turns 8. Just to give her a hug and encourage her mom and be a real friend.

I think the goal is not to make little americans (read: with all the BS privileges that US kids have) out of the kids but to give them what they need to survive, thrive and learn to provide for their own future.

Amity

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
pictures of Damalbi

As I said, I would post some pix (well, my brother did...thanks, bro).
http://www.xach.com/tmp/dr-damalbi/
We had a 24 hour stay in Luperon. We spent about 3 of them with this girl. She is in our hearts forever. She had made up her own signs to communicate. We taught her and her mom the alphabet and some basic sigsn used in signed English, such as tree, church, and some of the Spanish signs we know. It was so exciting for all of us, and she dragged me around pointing at things wanting to know their signs. She had old, broken hearing aids that an adult had given her. They didn't fit or work.
Anyway, this is Damalbi!
My brother said he is finishing up the scans tomorrow, so I will post a link of the entire trip.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I think this is a great post.

With all the baggage limitations to DR, how can one take or send clothes and used toys to children there?
Are there any exemptions for donations?

Ccarabella

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
My understanding was that at the current time that there can be difficulty importing used clothing due to the problems that were encountered with the used clothing business importing clothing from Haiti that was intended to be given away and that subverts the tax system here. I only caught it in passing, perhaps someone can fill us in on that?

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Children

I have plenty of friends in Canada who have children's clothing in excellent condition, baby clothes etc. that they would love to put to good use.

Maybe someone can organize a drive, collect all the clothing. Then we could speak with a charter airline representative about getting the stuff shipped for free or a mininmum charge(Airlines would love the publicity).

Then someone on the Dominican end with ties could see that the things get through customs without too much hassle.

Perhaps the local orfanage or churches could distribute the goods.

Count me in.

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
Fred that is an excellent IDEA!!

I only wonder as was previously pointed out if the "ban on the importation on used clothing applies to just textiles from Haiti", or all other countries aswell. The nexy time I am by the Dominican Embassy in Wash,D.C. I will see if they have any useful guidannce also.

I guess the other question would be who would be willing on the Dominican side to help out?

Isaac

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Puerto Plata Contacts

Our church in Puerto Plata, la Iglesia Biblica Cristiana, would be a good point of contact.

As of TODAY, I am organizing a missions trip for my high school Spanish students for next April. This would make an excellent focus for the trip. We can take clothing from the DC area, and spend a week to 10 days in country sorting and distributing. Depending on baggage restrictions, kids can pack a carry-on and back pack and we can use luggage from our thrift store to bring down clothes in lieu of personal checked baggage. (I have done this before for trips to Venezuela.)

The drop off point for clothing would be in Ashburn, VA...within reach of the Beltway! If any one is interested in dropping off clothes from the MD, DC and VA area, email me and I can give you the address of our church, or go to www.cfellowshipc.com.

Would any locals on this board help with the idea of bringing down school supplies as well. What would be MOST useful for a school aged child in the DR?

Mainely Missing Maine-Girl

mainer2

Sep 2, 2002
Hopefully you can expidiate your research on this subject, will be coming in about one month, already have one suitcase of kids clothes. Would hate to lose them at Customs.
Mainer2

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
MainGirl...I have some new and used children and women's clothing I would be willing to donate...I know you mention DC and VA as drop off points...I live in Boston area....so let me know if you will be driving up I-95 to Maine so I can gather up some of those clothes for you to take with you...

mondongo

PS Is your organization officially registered with the IRS? That yould help the donors possibly get some tax deductions.

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
I think that we can do some good.

MaineGirl,

Asm you know I am in the Wash, D.C. area I will be visiting the DR for Christmas and the New Year if I can be of any help drop me a line at domrepublic2002@yahoo.com I will also be taking many items with me during that trip for distribution in the DR.

I'll start contacting the carrier to see what requirements are necessary for transporting clothes to the DR from the States since it seems that I will be there before you.

Isaac

MaineGirl

Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
donations & deductions

Mondongo,
Yes, my church has a tax number with the IRS, I believe they usually give letters to people who donate with the value of the items donated...I usually get a statement at the end of the fiscal year listing any donations we have made throughout the year.

BTW, we have brought loads of supplies (medical and school, plus a suitcase full of shoes) down to both Venezuela and the DR in the past and we have never had a problem at customs...