Dominican: From Dominica or DR?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If a person for the Dominican Republic is called a Dominican than what are the people of Dominica called??? You got me thinking Rick. Don't do that ;)

Opps my mistake, I mean the people of Domenica

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You Were Right

Anna Coniglio said:
If a person for the Dominican Republic is called a Dominican than what are the people of Dominica called??? You got me thinking Rick. Don't do that ;)

The other one is called Dominica. The Commonwealth of Dominica in fact. Maybe they are called Dominicites (if hanging down) or Domingmites (if standing).

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:

The people of Domin?ca are Domin?cans; people of the Dom?nican Republic are Dom?nicans.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
And being that this tilde (?) is not used in English there's no way to tell the difference in the written language. Rather confusing and I hate it. Oh well... I'll have to live with it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pib said:
And being that this tilde (?) is not used in English there's no way to tell the difference in the written language. Rather confusing and I hate it. Oh well... I'll have to live with it.

Pib, When I wrote my post I used the tilde instead of an accent mark in Dominica because I haven't yet taken the time to figure what keys with Alt give me the accent mark. Next project.

I have been on Dominica and read about it in tourist publications. Never have seen an accent mark to tell you how to pronounce it correctly. It is just one of those things you know/learn. If you aren't in the "know", you don't know that Samana is really Saman?.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The problem, Ken, remains. Because the tilde is not used in English, only in Spanish (and French, and... you get the idea). And by the way dominicano doesn't have a tilde anywhere (notice that it isn't capitalized either). Oh how I love my language :)

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Pib said:
And by the way dominicano doesn't have a tilde anywhere (notice that it isn't capitalized either). Oh how I love my language :)

Yes, I know that dominicano isn't capitalized, but this board is basically in English. Dominican is English, dominicano is Spanish and it has its own rules and proununciations.

I also know it doesn't have a tilde. But like Dominican, meaning either a native of Dominica or one of the Dominican Republic, it is one of those things you must know.

With respect to capitalization, again it is a language difference: agosto and August, for example.

Last edited:

Jeanne

Aug 30, 2002
Dominicans, as in (Dominican Republic), Domineecans, as in(Dominica, pronounced DominEEKA)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
whoa Ken!

Good that you know Spanish... keep it up, it'll soon be no. 1 language in the world yeah, right. The point I was trying to make is that in written English there is no way to differenciate between one and the other... I am sure you can agree with me on that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: whoa Ken!

Originally posted by Pib The point I was trying to make is that in written English there is no way to differenciate between one and the other... I am sure you can agree with me on that.

Yes, Pib, on that and a great many things.;)

But that is also true for visitors to the DR trying to pronounce many words here. In Spanish,capital letters aren't accented, so Samana usually gets pronounced S?mana or Sam?na. Nothing on the WELCOME TO SAMANA signs tells them differently.

I fully understand your point. If we have a difference, it is only if you are trying to say that in Spanish, because of the rules and the tildes,that mistakes like those we've been talking about in English are prevented.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Great series of posts ken!

Nice to know that you THINK you know EVERYTHING,and that if you make enough posts you always get the last word! I like your use of "Yes,BUT!",that way you seem to agree with "PIB",but actually don't! It must be a tough burden having to "ME TOO" EVERYTHING! CRIS COLON

Apr 26, 2002
Chico Escuela

You're all wrong. As all viewers of the old (1970's) "Saturday Night Live" are aware, we are properly known in English as "Dominican Republicans". Case solved.