Second visit

shog_14

Aug 11, 2002
I have just returned back home after my 2nd visit to the DR.
First time I stayed in Allegro Playa Grande (1997). At this the time the hotel was v.busy and lots of fun. We returned here and planned to stay for 2wks. Unfortunately this time, the hotel was almost empty and v.quiet indeed. Lots of changes here also. The access steps to the beach have changed and the beach house restaurant has been wrecked. Does anyone know what happened? Such a great resort seems to be going to waste.

Anyway, we managed to get moved to the Jack Tar Village, Playa Dorado thanks to the helpful staff at Playa Grande. The JTV was a lot more lively and would recommend a stay here if you get the chance (No Kids!).

Only thing I'll complain about was the bike seats! Sore...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Bad storm did inthe little place, and lack of golfers has quieted the place down. Still the best pure golf destination in the country, IMO....
And the beach is still great, if rought at times. Glad you liked JYV. That is our second favorite place (Playa Dorada). We are hooked on Saman?....but al?s, no golf there---yet..

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Golf in Samana

HB, Before I left Hotel Gran Bahia in 1997, I supervised the construction of a unique par-3 golf course, Loma de Chivo. As the name implies, it is a very hilly course. A putter, a 7 iron and maybe one other are all the clubs you need, but it is a lot of fun. Some very unusual hazards, etc. I'm sure you would enjoy playing it. While I was there the course was well maintained. But I have heard that Occidental has made so many cuts in expenses because of low occupancy that the course has suffered. But it would still be worth your checking it out. Just walking around the course and seeing some of the tees in relation to the greens would be a lot of fun. Believe me, there isn't another course like it. Clubs and balls can be rented there, but it is cheaper to bring your own. Don't bring a full set because you definitely don't need woods.

One time while I was there, a group from England came by to play the course. They were going around the island playing all the courses. The leader of the group took one look at the course and turned up his nose, making disparaging remarks. Enrique, the pro, and I tried to tell him this was a more difficult course than the distances implied, but he would hear none of it. We watched them play. The leader had a particularly bad time, bouncing his ball off palm trees, etc., etc. When they finished, I asked him whether it was as easy as he thought. He said the course is beautiful and difficult, but this ain't golf."

If Enrique is there the day you go, please tell him Ken says hello.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
thanks, Ken, I certainly will do that!...

I had heard of Loma de chivo, and I, too, considered it "not a golf Course"

I will try it asap!

HB
Golfer.gif