cell phones

bryan

Mar 9, 2002
Hello,

A while back there was a thread about cell phones. I can't seem to find it. But anyway, I am going to be going to Puerto Plata in Oct. and was wondering what is the best thing to do about a cell phone to call the US and get calls from the US. Should I bring an old Sprint phone I have and have it reprogrammed and use the phone cards for it or should I just buy a phone down there and use the phone cards for it. Which is easier and cheaper. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Best way I have been told

is to bring a Voicestream type phone. These have cards in them that are replaceable. I am going tomorrow with one and will post in a few days. Sprint phones work also but you need the codes and that is a specialized thing unless you have it from the day you first programmed your phone.

Voicestream works with Orange. Sprint works with Codetel I believe.

Regards

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
I brought my phone and went to TRICON and had it switched over. They did it for $400 pesos and that included a 200 peso calling card. Incoming calls were free.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
It is a Nokia phone. It was still activated with Cingular. I took it to codetel and they couldn't do it so then went to tricon. The only problem I am having is getting it to stay charged. I used to charge it every several days now it needs to be charged twice a day and the battery gets hot when I use it. I think they switched the battery on me. Also the Tricon cards last longer to receive incoming calls.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
The phone is over there as I am in the USA for a couple more weeks. I got it free when I signed up a couple of years ago. Can you tell me what to do to check and switch back if it was changed. Thanks.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Under the battery will be the model number. If you can tell me that I may be able to tell you. Probably go to the menu and then somehow get to "Service". Look to go to digital then analog if that option is available. Motorola gives you a D or an A in a circle to tell you. Don't remember but think it will tell you on the left of the screen under the service meter. You may have an analog phone for all I know.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
LOPTKA

I brought by motorola phone down with me. It is on Verizon band B here in Upstate NY. I did not get it activated, but was able to buy a codelcard and use it for out going calls. The thing that I noticed is that no matter where I was in the capital it was always in analog mode and ate my battery up also. Since I could not receive calls, I just left it off until I wanted to use it. Most of the time I have use of a cellphone that is activiated down there but I did not have it last time I was there, and even that one is analog all the time. It is a nokia and can receive incoming calls and makes outgoing calls on a calling card. They have to have digital somewheres in the capital.

Jerry