Presidents with double nationality? No way Jose!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Dolores[/B] in [URL=http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=97416#post97416]this thread[/URL] said:
Taking this a step further... The Dominican community in the United States should lobby so that the Dominican Constitution be changed so that a Dominican-American, that is a dual US and Dominican citizen, can become President of the Republic. With an estimated million Dominicans living in the United States, this should become a major issue in Dominican politics. I understand this is a proposal of the Dominican American Roundtable (http://www.danr.org) and should be supported by all Dominicans.
Dolores I hate to disagree with you for the first time, but this time I STRONGLY disagree with you.

I will oppose vigorously [like anyone would notice :rolleyes:] any proposal in that direction. Can we spell Fujimori? Furthermore, any president with double nationality will at one point or another have a conflict of interests when he has to decide in favor of one his nations over the other.

I could think of more reasons, but I haven't had coffee yet.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Haven't several DR Presidents been educated

in different countries?
Also wasn't Balaguer actually born in another country and lived in a second country before finally being brought to the DR by his parents?? Or did I misread that article?
I'm afraid I must most strongly agree with PIB on this one (maybe because I'm so patriotic myself). I know many ppl with dual nationality - many who left their birth countries at a very young age and obtained their Canadian citizenship as adults. Many - indeed most- are still fiercely loyal to their birth countries and if forced to make a choice would choose their birth country over their "adopted" country especially if they had the option to remain in their adopted country.
I also know many Italians who came to Canada as very young children,were educated here,lived and worked here, who are now seniors and have never considered obtaining their Canadian citizenship because they would be abandoning their "birth" country even though many were too young to really have known their birth country before they came to Canada (althoguh most if not all have made numerous trips over the years to visit their birthplace and relatives who remained in their birth country.)
As for myself when I am in the DR I consider it my home and try to think and act as a Dominican however I would never apply for citizenship. Much as I love the DR for what it is and consider it my home when there I am and always will be a Canadian !

So to paraphrase PIB I would also oppose vigorously any proposal in that direction.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, that was Pe?a G?mez, and that was perhaps the reason that he was never elected president. There was always that nagging doubt that he was a Dominican by birth.
What does the Constitution say on this point? Is it by birth or by origin (parents Dominican.)

I saw the influence of a US High School education in Leonel's government. All this talk about governability, representation and responsibility is right out of the textbooks on government...

You cannot serve two masters. I feel quite strongly on this point and one of my complaints with the US government is that there are many Dominicans that take out US citizenship (quite legally) for the advantages that they receive, but with few or none of the responsibilities that it imposes....

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Never happen!

US law does not allow a US Citizen to hold elective office in a foreign country,and retain US Citizenship.The President of the DR would also have to take his oath of office,which I'm sure includes something about"Loyalty" to the DR,again not permitted for US Citizens!"F.Lee" COLON

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
HB

Quoting the Dominican Constitution:

P?rrafo IV.- La adquisici?n de otra nacionalidad no implica la p?rdida de la nacionalidad dominicana. Sin embargo, los dominicanos que adquieran otra nacionalidad no podr?n optar por la Presidencia o Vicepresidencia de la Rep?blica.
Roughly translated it means that Dominicans would not lose their nationality by acquring a new one but they cannot run for the presidency (or vice-presidency as quoted below).

Art. 50.-
Para ser Presidente de la Rep?blica se requiere:
1.- Ser dominicano de nacimiento u origen.
2.- Haber cumplido 30 a?os de edad.
3.- Estar en pleno ejercicio de los derechos civiles y pol?ticos.
4.- No estar en servicio militar o policial activo, por lo menos durante el a?o que preceda a la elecci?n.
Art. 51.- Habr? un Vicepresidente de la Rep?blica, que ser? elegido en la misma forma y por igual per?odo que el Presidente y conjuntamente con ?ste.
Para ser Vicepresidente de la Rep?blica se requieren las mismas condiciones que para ser Presidente.
To be president one is required to be Dominican of birth and origin (I would guess it means having Dominican (a) parent(s), AND being born in the DR territory. One must be 30 years old or older, being in full exercise of all civil/political rights1 and not being in active military or police service or having being in the year prior to the election.

None of this contradicts what Dolores said... just adding a little background.

1 The Dominican constitution makes a difference between Nacionalidad and Ciudadan?a. The first you acquire at birth or is granted to you by the Executive. The second you acquire at 18 and may lose for a number of crimes.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Balaguer "rumor"(That he was an American Citizen)

Stems from the fact that his father was Puerto Rican,and took the young "Balaguer" to live in the United States to live for a period of time.That explanes why Balaguer was so smart!He didn't eat "Platanos" during the time that his brain was developing,and so he was not brain damaged like a "Real" Dominican!!CRISCOCRISCO

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Uhhh, PIB???

If you wrote that right, and I suppose you did, then a Dominican born in the USA or Siberia of Dominican parents, can, if he opts for just Dominican nationality, become president of the Dominican Republic. Art. 50 " .....de nacimiento u origen"....Damn!

We could theoretically have a Dominican-York gang banger or a Russina mafia sponsored, communist educated and spawned Presidente......Or a Mossad trained killer or a Palistinian terrorist for that matter...

This is so silly...

HB

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am not a lawyer(God forbid), but I would guess that the first paragraph kinda makes it clear. If you don't have another nationality then yes, you are eligible for presidency. Just think of the children of Dominican diplomats born abroad...

Cira

Sep 24, 2002
CRISS COLON:

I think that I have been following this thread, and if I stand correct what you are saying is that Dominicans who eat platanos when little, when growing up they will be not too smart?
I do not think that has anything to do with what is being said here about double nationality, but if you would like to continue this let me know.