Ski Slope for the DR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Will an indoor ski slope be successful in the Dominican Republic?

This morning, Sr. Rodriguez, a Dominican living in Germany, was interviewed on an English language program on a German channel. Sr. Rodriguez is a designer of amusement parks in Germany.

During his interview, Sr. Rodriguez said that he plans to "bring some of the north to the Caribbean" by designing and constructing an indoor ski slope in the Dominican Republic. He felt that the cold temperature in the ski area and the experience of skiing would make this a very popular attraction in the Dominican Republic. What do you think?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I often think these people fail to forget that it's all nice and good to build these facilities, but running them and keeping up with 1st world maintenance standards can often be a problem here.
Preventative maintenance and quality control are not two words that I hear often in the DR.
Of course the DR has it's exceptions but it's not the rule.

Would I like to see a ski park here? You bet!
Would I use it? You bet!

Anything that puts the DR on the map is good, anything that gives locals and tourists another entertainment outlet is good. Let's hope if they do manage to get the project off the ground and built, they also work at keeping it running and well maintained.

I can see it now, "Cool Runnings II".

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert said:
I often think these people fail to forget that it's all nice and good to build these facilities, but running them and keeping up with 1st world maintenance standards can often be a problem here.
Preventative maintenance and quality control are not two words that I hear often in the DR.
Of course the DR has it's exceptions but it's not the rule.

Giving some reason for optimism in this case is the fact that the person proposing to build the ski slope is a Dominican who hasn't completely forgotten his roots as a result of living in Germany. During the course of the interview, Mr. Rodriguez was asked about the casual attitude that Dominicans have toward time. He responded that being late to appointments was an inborn, inherited trait of Dominicans. When the interviewer asked him how he deals with this trait, now that he is living and working in Germany where punctuality is vital, he said--in all seriousness--that he keeps his clock set one hour ahead.

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Time

Just tell any Dominican that you would like to lend them $1000 pesos and to meet you at a set destination.

You bet they will show up on time.

"Its a hard life for stupid people"

Fred

love da DR

Aug 1, 2002
Ken who benifits from this proposal?

Ken,

Of course positive things that attract attention to the DR are quite good but who would benefit from this proposed new attraction? I am sure for those that can afford to indulge their passion for the slopes and powder, they would welcome whole heartedly this proposal but other than the revenue that is generated and the Gov'ts cut which is debatable whether the people would see the benefits of at all. I suppose the argument could also go that there are certain employment pluses that could be reaped. I just wonder with all of the economic problems in the DR would the average Dominican be able to afford this new diversion?

Also would this not be a first for the entire caribbean region?

Isaac

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Are we talking about "air conditioning" an entire mountain? As I recall there was trouble just keeping the ice frozen on the hockey rink which certainly was a miniscule project in comparison. I suppose I would go once or twice, but I really can't see the Colorado tourism industry shaking in its fur-lined boots.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I read about this on the internet!

It is not going to be "air-conditioned",or skiing on snow.The guy plans to buy all the hair that is being swept up in all the Dominican barber shops.He is going to "glue" the hair to the side of a big hill in Puerto Plata.You will "ski" down the hill on the hair! "Really"! It's going to be called,"Afro-Turf"!!!CRISCO

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"they" didn't think that bowling would fly either.

HB

You don't have to have snow to ski, do you?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
[BYou don't have to have snow to ski, do you? [/B]

No, you don't have to have snow. The Olympic board skiers at their camp in Colorado during the summer prior to last winter Olympics practiced on a ramp with some sort of composition surface, then landed in a swimming pool after doing their aerials.

The piece on TV regarding the proposed ski slope didn't mention what they would be skiing on. Like you, I think a surface more maintenance free than snow is likely.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
I have heard of simulated indoor skiing. You don't actually ski, but you have the illusion of swishing down a mountain. The temp is cold, and you have to wear ski stuff.

I can't imagine any other way of doing it. No way could they "freeze" a slope long enough to make the lift lines worthwhile. If there was a way to do it, I am sure Sunday River and Sugarloaf would have started it up, instead of losing their shirts everytime we have a mild winter.

Just MHO
Mainer

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Back in the 60's Ilearned how to ski on Mt Balby in California. They used straw on the hills.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Safety first....

Considering how Dominicans drive, I can hardly wait to see how they will ski. I would immediately invest in the plaster cast concession at the ski slope.

However, in another forum, I was soliciting new ideas for Sosua's comeback, so I am glad to see that someone has an idea other than prostitution to contribute to local economies.

Unless the hidden agenda here is Dominican ski bunnies, I am all for this.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Indoor skiing is quite popular in Japan. They use man-made snow (spraying water into very cold air) similar to that used by the big ski resorts in the USA to open early and to put snow in areas that don't get enough. They ski down large platforms that are contoured to resemble hills. The concept isn't much different than indoor ice skating except it takes a lot more room and a lot more money to build.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: I read about this on the internet!

Criss Colon said:
It is not going to be "air-conditioned",or skiing on snow.The guy plans to buy all the hair that is being swept up in all the Dominican barber shops.He is going to "glue" the hair to the side of a big hill in Puerto Plata.You will "ski" down the hill on the hair! "Really"! It's going to be called,"Afro-Turf"!!!CRISCO [
THAT COULD MAKE FOR SOME HAIRPIN TURNS AND SOME REAL HAIRY MOMENTS CRISCO,LETS HOPE THEY ONLY USE HAIR WITH DANDRUFF THEN IT WILL SEEM MORE NATURAL/QUOTE]:bandit: :bandit:

Last edited:

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Why not use all the garbage to make a big ski hill! Or forget the whole idea (A better plan). Canadian Bob.

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
Bob sled.. IN the river across the street...

As a child I remember taking a llaguasil and cutting the point off and we bob sled down to the river in Licey, when the river had flow not the litle thing that it is today.Those aeasly obtained realities. . In the land of blackout... where is the power to run these machine coming from there is a litle problem of interstruture have have to be fix first. I was there and 29 days out of 30 we went to bed with no electric power. Now look for some easyly obtainable thing like mountaint climming. Here they have indoors set-up that teach and keep those that want to experience this activity in shape. rentring the equipment , shoes gloves and clothing would be a good business. This equal to about 15 stories building. This does not depend on water or electricity, it all muscle power. that is a winner.

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
No there is no need to make snow or freeze a mountain!

Most dry ski slopes are made of a plastic spiky material rather like the those door mats made of tough plastic bristles. It hurts if you fall without gloves but Im told its pretty realistic and a lot warmer!