Call to Mark Porter and Other Pan Amer's

Apr 26, 2002
Mark and the Pan Amer's,

Where have you gone??? There are people on this Board complaining about Pan Am's service. They say that they actually flew your airline or know people who have. They mentioned something about unexpected stops in strange airports and travel times that stretch into days. Shouldn't you be defending your airline and accusing the posters of libel?

If your passengers continue to write these vicious lies and horrible exaggerations about your airline, then your stated grandiose plan - accepted by many in this forum as believable and worthy of deference - to operate a gigantic international hub in Santo Domingo serving dozens of destinations with a huge fleet of historic aircraft, may never come to fruition.

For those passengers of Pan Am who have piddly little grievances such as spending 11 hours traveling without food, please know that your posted complaints do nothing but hurt the Dominican Republic. Pan Am has assured our most responsible government that we will become a major international hub and will have a maintenance facility that will become a large scale employer. If you were a frequent readers of the messages on this Board, you would fully understand that this is accepted fact, and would refrain for any dissent. For this reason, your criticism of Pan Am is unacceptable.

In the name of competition, lower airfares (okay, so Pan Am's airfares aren't necessarily any lower) and national pride, it is incumbent on all of us concerned about the Dominican Republic to fly any new air carrier that comes to town, regardless of that airline's history or credibility and despite any alleged service irregularities. It is, after all, our civic duty to roll the dice with our own money and get there whenever we get there.

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
funny.........

You are correct when you mentioned that the prices from Pan Am are not very different that AA's. The only way there is a big difference is if you fly at the last minute.

I was initially happy to hear about Pan Am because competition helps us out as passengers. Unfortunately, Pan Am will not be around long if they continue operating how they are.

I just do not understand how you get on a plane and all of a sudden the pilot tells you that you have to stop somewhere else to pick up people. Buy some software to shedule your flights more efficiently.

If you work for Pan AM, please speak up.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Yeah, I was really looking forward to Mark Porter's response.

MARK!? Speak up, we can't hear your defense. Considering I assume that you do work for PanAm, can you refund me my ticket price?

Apr 26, 2002
Bad by Design

I'm sorry for your bad experiences and hope that the irrational exhuberance regarding Pan Am posted on this board didn't play a part in your decision to fly the airline.

I'm not sure that the reported unscheduled stops in Sanford could be coincidence or accidental, since the stops appear to be part of Pan Am's operations. As suggested by others in this forum, I would report that part of your disasterous travel to the US Department of Transportation for further investigation.

I'm all in favor of competition for American Airlines in Santo Domingo. But to really play a part in the long-term lowering of airfares, the new competitor must be a responsible and able player with the resources to stay at if for the long haul. Start-ups that have played fast and loose in the Dominican market, like Tower Air, Hispanola, APA, Pan Am II and, as has now been reported on this board, Pan Am III, do nothing but create cynicism and make it less likely that people will trust any real responsible new airline that comes to town in the future. I'm sure that, in the future, those that have suffered from Pan Am will think twice about buying a ticket on another start-up, and that's a shame.

You may not have been aware, but Pan Am is simply the plaything of an heir to an American banking fortune who happens to have a pilot's license. I wouldn't call it a real airline. Since buying the name "Pan Am" from a bankruptcy court, the "airline" has moved from airport to airport. There's not a lot of credibility here.