Houston to SDQ or POP

rizzo

Aug 28, 2002
Seems the fare from Houston to DR is pretty stiff regardless of advance purchase or travel times. Anyone from this area that might have found a better way to go please advise. Best I can come up with from Houston is $650 to $750 all with at least 2 stops enroute. Still looking for a better deal...Thanks for any info. Also seems AA has all the flights going to DR out of this area, is that right?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
rizzo said:
Seems the fare from Houston to DR is pretty stiff regardless of advance purchase or travel times. Anyone from this area that might have found a better way to go please advise. Best I can come up with from Houston is $650 to $750 all with at least 2 stops enroute. Still looking for a better deal...Thanks for any info. Also seems AA has all the flights going to DR out of this area, is that right?

You are stuck going to one of Miami, NYC/JFK or Philadelphia for AA or US Air. Or to EWR then on Continental.

You might try flying on COPA to Panama as they fly to SDQ but I doubt it would be faster or cheaper.

Can you find a non-stop to PHL, JFK, EWR or MIA from Houston? If so then you have a one stop flight. Though via NY or PA is an ass-backward direction - you may be better off stopping more than once and go via MIA.

Actually I just checked my monthly AA guide and they fly from Houston to MIA non stop and then to SDQ.

Flt 977/423 leaves 6:35 a.m. and arrives 1:44 p.m. Excatly almost to the minute the length of time from Toronto to SDQ via MIA. And for $497 US with taxes. Just how did you look into this anyway?

rizzo

Aug 28, 2002
Thanks Rick, yes the fares I mentioned came from both expedia and orbitz and I just punched in different dates trying to see if the price would be affected but seems there was little difference. Also I flew round trip Hou./SDQ last month first part of Aug. and paid $658 so I'm thinking I'm screwed because of Houston origin---have to go to Miami first in just about every case. I just thought I should be able to fly for around $500 but no dice as of yet...Thanks again

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Still DOn't Understand the 2 stops or the fare issue

rizzo said:
-have to go to Miami first in just about every case. I just thought I should be able to fly for around $500 but no dice as of yet...Thanks again

Why is $497 US round trip not around $500? That's the fare I got for a date picked at random. In AA.com I get this same fare no matter what the dates are.

And on which airline did you fly R/T from Houston to SDQ without stopping? Was it a charter?

One stop flights are as American as apple pie with the hub system all the US airlines have.

rizzo

Aug 28, 2002
Thanks Rick, yes my math has a way to go.....I'm feeling better, just checked with AA and they have the best fare to POP at $438 with one stop in Miami. I think I paid the high fare last month because I wanted to go right away. Also sorry for the confusion---when I flew last month there were 2 stops...IAH-MIA-San Juan-SDQ..I left IAH 10AM--arrived SDQ 10:30PM--a long stretch for a short flight right? At any rate I'll be flying again soon and thanks for the info..

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Avoid those MIA--> SJU trips for sure

When there are non stops it is frustrating to get routed to another destination, usually easier to wait for the next non-stop flight than to go with that routing you posted. Wow, what a drag to do that frequently.