A definition of today?s ?airline?

TRSboy

Sep 9, 2002
Many of us here at this bulleting board already knows what is an airline. A good, personal, definition can say; An airline is a ?for-profit? company created to transport passengers or cargo from point A to point B, possible via point C. Nevertheless, what an ?airline? definition was set in the early 50?s (where the ?possibly via point C? were first thought) it is nothing to compare to an ?airline? definition in the early 00?s. Furthermore, it is imperative to ask a question; Does an airline forgot the real definition of ?airline?? Maybe it sounds like a riddle but today?s days it is like reality. I am not trying to say that an airline does not have the ?right to make profits? but actually to make it profit on a clean, honest way. Today?s pattern offered from the airline to the flying live customers (i.e. half of my definition) is one of the most dirtiest way. Charging extreme fees for airline paper ticket if the customer requires a paper ticker, lower or eliminating the commission given to travel agencies (who ironically helped airlines to build their empire), expanding to cities and then closing such expansions because of ?lack of organization and planning? and innumerate actions made by today?s ?airlines? that just brings again my question; Does an airline forgot the real definition of ?airline?? I guess ?airlines? are missing the refreshing courses for Customer Service 101 course. Perhaps those ?airlines? and their employees just forgot from whom they got their ?hot dinners,? every night, on their dinner table.

Maybe some of you may agree, some other may disagree with my point of view. I have seen how people criticize other people?s comment and some other people just write things because they are ?true-believers.? I leave it up to you all. Wear whatever airline scheme you want, put whatever company logo pin on your best hat or cap. Still think, is my ?airline? an ?airline?? I would like to read your comments about my point of view. Positive or negative comments, I am used for both results. Do it in English or Spanish, I speak and read both.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They are what you said they are

You said it: An airline is a ?for-profit? company created to transport passengers or cargo from point A to point B, possible via point C.

So if they charge (for a profit) for paper tickets when in fact you don't need them at all, or drop routes because they don't have business to make a profit or reduce commissions because you can buy online and they don't need TA's as much , again to preserve profits, then what are they doing that fails to meet your definition?

Same thing wth the meal service - which was never as much to feed people but to give them something to do with their time - you can buy better food and bring it on with you anyway or do without for an hour and a half from MIA to SDQ for example - even in a movie you don't have to buy food for 2 hours entertainment.

I guess if you want fares that are 200% more than now you can have all the amenities you say are missing but in reality people want to go from A to B via C or not fast and cheap and won't pay for things they don't have to so the airlines won't provide them unless they make a buck.

TRSboy

Sep 9, 2002
ricktoronto:

Thank you so much for your response on my message posted. I appreciate and respect your opinion, but it is my chance to post a response on your comments. Again, thank you.

Ok, let me go by parts here.

I first need to congratulate you. You are very fortunate to have Internet and to book a reservation online. Even more fortunate is to have a printer and print your e-ticket. Perhaps, if you were the president of any particular country, all habitants will have a computer, a printer, free Internet service, and allots of paper to print their reservations. What a lovely country!

Still, lets get real and lets face the truth: not everybody has a computer, Internet service, and a printer. That is why still some people use the travel agency. I agree with you; not that many, but still, some people. You, as an airline, can still charge for a paper ticket, but not $100, don't you think? Even more, if you cut or eliminate the travel agency commissions, these agencies will look for somebody that still give some commission or else the customer (maybe you) will pay some "service fees." Oh, I forgot, you have Internet and you don?t need a paper ticket.

Talking about expansion and then downsizing. It is true that some routes are eliminated because of low or no business, but still, do you know there is something called "Planning and Marketing?" In some airlines, those two words are departments, very important and huge departments. Some airlines have several models on how to attract business. Perhaps by getting "secured revenue" from the cities served, or else from the EAS or Essential Air Service where the government subsidizes the airlines by buying some seats. But, maybe you already know all and more about this. Let me move to the next section.

Oh, meal service?what a lovely part of the flight. Do you remember when on tourist class (U.S. airlines) were meals served. Yummy! Just after takeoff, you can smell that food when it was ?re-heated.? Yeah, that was about 20 years ago. Today it is just a memory. I agree with you that meals were given so passengers can do something with their time. To be honest with you, I always fly with my meal. Still, I never talked about meals? Did I?

Overall, I was talking about good CUSTOMER SERVICE. That was the story all behind this. Does my ticket need to cost 200% more for just a good customer service? Or else, I can pay a ?Customer Service fee? so I can receive a good customer service. Perhaps that is another way to make some revenue. There are so many ways to make revenue and still keep a good customer service. Maybe I will fly a ?no-frill, yes-customer service? airline, if there is any. I am human being and I would like to be treated as I treat others: Good. Do you?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You are missing the point...

Let me preface by saying I doubt anyone misses airline food on a short flight - it was always inedible crap and was served as a distraction.

The last ticket I actually bought was at SDQ airport not online though most of my tickets are via AA.com, so you can go to the airport or to the many (in DR vs. here =zero) AA or other ticket offices and pay no surcharge.

But the biggest point is airlines are by and large publicly owned for profit businesses and they sell according to the pricing model they think will optimize income without being so costly or with such bad service they lose clients or without such great service and low prices they have lots of clients and go broke.

Or the PanAm model with identical prices, bad service and they go broke anyway or close to it.

From USA you can fly on at least US, Continental and AA. Plus I assume charters - from here in Canada with terrible service at least two charter airlines , cheap and regular enough , but you go to LRM not SDQ. Or you stop when they told you they wouldn't or they change the flight by 5 hours or have a breakdown and have no other planes. But MUCH cheaper, like 1/2 or even less.

Or if you wanted to eschew big US-based lines you can do Toronto to Panama to SDQ on TACA. Why you would got indirectly, I do not know but it can be done.

So the BUYER pays for what they are willing to get or either go elsewhere, don't go at all or find another method.

Banks, airlines, car manufacturers, all optimize profits with the balance between too little and too much, so if you don't like it don't use it. Vote with your wallet - if everyone does you either lose service or it improves/gets cheaper.

Finally NOBODY "needs'" a paper ticket since once you identify yourself you get a boarding pass and since e-tickets are now in sufficient cases, endorseable, and in fact where you need an endorsement it is usually AA getting you the seat on the other plane. Where you DO need a paper ticket ( and you do not) they are not $100 - here they are $15 extra. CDN $. So ten bucks.