Pan Am - Porfirio Gloats

Apr 26, 2002
Well it's gloat time for old Porfirio Rubirosa. I haven?t had this much fun since I split from El Jefe?s daughter and lived to tell about it.

According to the Orlando Sentinel article so graciously cited by Latino2002, it?s official. Pan Am is out of the DR and most other places, having retreated to their home base in New Hampshire. No, I'm not happy that the DR lost an airline, I'm only happy that the DR lost Pan Am. Good riddance.

Over the last couple of months, I have read with astonishment in this forum of how Pan Am was going to create a major international hub in Santo Domingo, serve dozens of cities from SDQ, open a maintenance facility in Barahona to employ dozens and other similar nonsense and dribble. Seeing the irrational exuberance, I shared my knowledge of Pan Am?s history of failed commitments, unkept promises and sketchy service. A few other brave souls (GRS, Crissco) expressed their skepticism as well.

If fact, back on July 12th, I gave the readers of this forum the opportunity to bet me on how long Pan Am would last in the DR. I guessed five months, figuring the airline would at least stay through Christmas. If any of you had guessed four months twenty-nine days, you would have beaten me ? by a long shot!

Instead, many hurled insults and accused me of being unfittingly pessimistic or even libelous. How dare I insert some reality into the celebrations of every Cessna that lands at SDQ. How dare I look carefully at the emperor?s (in this case very old) clothes? I must have had some ulterior motive. I must work for AA. I must have been fired by Pan Am. Pan Am must have lost my luggage. Blah, blah, blah.

I really enjoyed the Orlando Sentinel article, which confirmed that Pan Am is suffering while most niche carriers like AirTran and Spirit are actually doing well. According to the newspaper's analyst, Pan Am is "...like an airline run by amateurs. They're weak on strategy, weak on planning and weak on execution." Gee, where did you hear that before?!?!

Payback?s a bitch, but rarely as deserving, so here goes:

Mark Porter: I assume that you?re about 17 years old with a brother/sister/cousin/uncle/whatever that worked for Pan Am. You saw it as your job to market the airline here to help ensure job security. You had motivation to repeat every piece of mierda that the airline fed you so it could get free PR in this forum. The only thing shocking about your ignorance was that other people believed and defended you.

Robert: And I quote: ?After a number of conversations with the people at Panam (US & DR), we feel that they are doing fine and have a bright future. They are building a maintenance hub in Barahona to serve the DR and neighboring islands. Their bookings are up and people are saying good things about them.? Don?t feel too bad, Robert. You?re not the first journalist to buy Pan Am?s crap - hook, line and sinker. But you failed in going to only one source ? the airline itself ? instead of also calling the airports that this same airline (Pam Am III) has fled from over the years. Diablo, I even gave you the names of the airports to call!

Jazzcom: I quote again: ?I just dislike people that knock others to sell their own product. If it can't stand on its own without putting competition down I don't like it. I still feel the same way about your posts. You sound like a disgruntled baggage handler who was fired for sleeping in the back of your tram. You try to draw pictures that don't go in straight lines in order to justify your hatred of this company/Airline ? I, like Robert am just happy to see competition and the possibility of bringing the prices down.? Jazzy, baby, still trying to get a refund from Pan Am on that ticket you bought? How about refunding others who bought tickets? Did it occur to you that I was doing people a favor by reporting the truth about Pan Am. I couldn't have been fired from a company I wouldn't be caught dead working for. You had also accused me of libel for my Pan Am posts. Well, if my quote regarding the owner and manager of Pan Am taken directly from the District of Colombia Federal Court about this very topic was not enough to dissuade you from thinking my posts were defamatory (and, from your continued sniping, apparently it wasn?t), then know this: Truth is an absolute defense to libel.

JHM: Still more quotes: ?Porfio; You like to hear yourself write? Not much right with your Pan Am posts. Limited resources, Pam Am could be the most solvent airline flying. Do some homework, go to googles and check out "Timothy Mellon" and "Guilford Transportation Industries". Thanks for the tip, JHM. I looked in Google, and found good ammunition to use against the pitiful postings of Jazzcom. The ignorance of your posting now speaks for itself.

Finally, here's a message for everyone. Pan Am did nothing to lower air fares at SDQ. Irresponsible start-up carriers never lower air fares in even the medium-term. They only create cynicism and make it less likely that a new, responsible carrier will ever come. Those who supported Pan Am expecting lower fares are like small-time Hipolito supporters waiting for their new government jobs, US visas, houses, etc.

Aah, that feels so much better.

Yours truly,

Porfirio Rubirosa
Chief Espionage Agent - Latin America/Caribbean Region
AMR, Inc.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I have never flown PanAm nor purchased a ticket on their flights.

I like American Airlines and have enough frequent flier miles for my Christmas trip to the DR and 2 more I havent even planned yet. I have enough miles on a credit card to go there as well for a third trip on any airline which of course I would ask for AA for more miles on their FF'er program.

Your posts were pure BS. You knocked the Airline for what happened to another of the same name. How stupid was that?

I did think you were a disgruntled baggage handler by the manner of your slamming them for no apparent reason other than the fellow that owned them "Mellon" was a playboy with his daddy's money.

I wished PanAm well because I thought that they were good for the DR and for even myself who wouldnt fly them. Competition brings down prices and increases tourism to an Island that badly needs it. I just got back from the DR on American of course and Sosua and Cabarete were hurting much more than they were 8 days after 9-11 when I was there last year. It is pitiful.

I am glad you find joy in this but I do NOT. I am sad that your guess turned out to be correct for the most part. Too bad for those that travel to the DR and too bad for the DR! I rejoice in your glee NOT.

Apr 26, 2002
Quit While You're Behind

jazzcom said:

Your posts were pure BS. You knocked the Airline for what happened to another of the same name. How stupid was that?.

Jazzy, baby, you really should flee this thread while your behind, before you continue to make it worse for youself. How many times in how many different ways do I and others have to show you that Pan Am has been under the same ownership since 1998? Check out http://www.panamhistory.com/SiteMap.htm and click on "Pan Am III". As has previously been stated, all of my references have been ONLY to the Mellon-owned Pan Am III.

Last edited: