visitors visa to Canada

nancyh

Jan 13, 2002
The young man who has been working for us here in DR wants to visit us in Canada when we move back in the new year. Does he have a realistic chance of getting a visitors visa- I would hate for him to get his hopes raised and dashed and for him to spend his money for the application process if it is not going to happen.
This is his idea - we did not raise the issue. I think he wants to live there - but I will have to tell him the sad news that he won't meet the new number system that one has to meet to be granted a residency.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
The odds are 40,000:1 against

based on the 8,000,000 citizens of DR and the fact that Canada granted about 200 visas in 2000 ( they did a few more this year for the Pope's visit) .

If the young man has no job, house, hefty bank account in DR he will not be granted a visa, simple as that and he and you may as well save the application fee.

The chances of having points for an independent (non family) resident applicant are even slimmer. Zero.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Search the archives.....key word -

visa or visitor visa
Lots of anecdotal material.
Rick has it right......easier to find a snowball in hell!

Macoris

Apr 17, 2002
nancyh

I am a bit confused. You said that he wants to visit you and then you talked about the point system. The point system is for permanent resident applicant and does not apply for visitor's visa.

By in all fairness, it does not stand a chance at all. No visa officer will issued a visitor's visa because he is likely to remain in Canada (immigration's intend).

However, I may suggest you sometimes. If you apply for a visitor visa and you are his guarantor (you invite him to stay with you at your house and you state that you are responsible for his living expenses while in Canada) and you POST a PERFORMANCE CASH BOND of let's say $ 5,000 that will be forteited if he does not return back to Dominican Republic as agreed, then you he has a chance to have a visitor visa. We have to be creative.

Goodluck.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Been there - done that!

Six years ago before my son's wedding. Had a friend that we wanted to bring home with us. We filed the application in Santo domingo - went to the consulate with her etc.etc.
No such luck....cost us the trips to SD, the application fee etc. and no deal........
Reason given by the staff......too much likelyhood that she would skip even though we were willing to guarantor her. Question I was asked was this - "What will you do when you are stopped at a red light in Toronto and she hops out of the car and takes off into the crowd?????" What could I say in response? What could I do ? Leave my car stopped at a red light and give foot chase??

So.....as was stated by nancyh and rick at the beginning of this thread...better not to get the young mans' hopes up and have him waste the application fee (don't know what it is now but it was $75.00 Can six years ago!).

BTW I have a friend from Juan Dolio coming this week. He is currently visiting relatives in the US. He's been to Canada several times before- has a business, a house, a bank account, a multiple entry visa and still has problems at times crossing the border into Canada from the US! Hopefully not this time......

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I have 3 dominican males that are coming to visit from the D.R. in October. One has visited 4 other times, and the 2 others are visiting for their first time. Write letters!! Get others to write letters!!!! The teacher from my old high school always writes a letter, as they are visiting, but also doing social justice work when they come down, educating Canadians.
Like Macoris said, make sure that you state that you will be responsible for all of their expenses when they are down as well. If something happens to them, you are the one responsible in the end.
It does happen, there are lots of cases of dominicans being denied and I don't know if I just have good luck, but whenever a friend of mine wants to visit, he or she is able to.

Best of luck! If you don't try, then you will never know.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Forget the bond

Macoris said:

However, I may suggest you sometimes. If you apply for a visitor visa and you are his guarantor (you invite him to stay with you at your house and you state that you are responsible for his living expenses while in Canada) and you POST a PERFORMANCE CASH BOND of let's say $ 5,000 that will be forteited if he does not return back to Dominican Republic as agreed, then you he has a chance to have a visitor visa. We have to be creative.

A $5,000 bond won't make an ounce of difference and as far as I know there is no collateral for visitors visas and frankly the cost of finding and deporting overstayers ( 99% chance) is a lot more than $5,000.

And if you are responsible for the entire risk, in the rare event that they took a bond, you may have to pay every cost that would be incurred, not that there is any hope in this regard so forget it.