Transporting household goods into a free zone

Linda C

May 17, 2002
Can you transport household goods from the US into a free zone, and get them out of the free zone, if you have established residency in the DR? If you're a resident it shouldn't cost anything, right? Is there a form you need to list the contents of the boxes and how specific do you need to be listing the contents? If forms are required, can they be obtained before you establish residency and how/where do you get them? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks,

Linda

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am not a lawyer, but I know a little about Customs Clearance.

A Free Zone is considered "foreign territory" for customs purposes. Each Free Zone company is entitled to import raw material, machinery and office supplies that they will use to manufacture their products. For that purpose Customs will provide them with a "Resoluci?n", which is a list of approved items for import.

Obviously household goods would not be included in any "Resoluci?n", and importing these items would be illegal and would cause a number of legal problems for the Free Zone Company.

Free Zone companies are entitled however to sell part of their production, unused machinery and "discarded" materials. To do so they must go through all the process of "importing" it into the DR, which of course includes paying duties and taxes.

My advice? Forget it.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Black Hole

Linda C. I will not go into detail about moving to the D.R. A household goods and auto shipment to the Dominican Republic is the equivalent of a ?Black Hole? of abuse and grief. My recommendation for you is to sell your car and your household goods. Use the cash to purchase what you need when you arrive to the D.R. It is less costly over all. You can search the DR1 archives for more detail. Regards, PJT

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I can't think of any "household goods" that would be worth the hassle and the expense to bring into the country. Personal possessions such as pictures, momentos, artwork may be the exception however if you are eventually planning on moving back to wherever it would porbably make more sense just to have them put in storage until your return.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Article 30 of the law 8-90 provides a tax exemption for the import of all the material directly related to the industrial activity of the operation established in the free zone. Household goods do not fall into this category.

Julio & Chris

bienvenido

Sep 5, 2004
household goods Storage in POP areas

i would appreciate any information regarding temporary storage of household goods in the POP area. thanks

Last edited: