Our artists get no respect!!

DR_DEFENDER

Jan 8, 2002
I honestly don?t even know why our Dominican artists even bother to go to the grammys! What a joke!
They get no respect at all. There is a lot that I would like to say but right now I don?t have the time. For one thing this whole thing is so biased! I watched the whole thing last night and they didn?t even show any of our people and yes I am aware of the fact that they didn?t have enough time to show everything. Now, I knew that they were going to give the grammy to Olga Tanon for best merengue album of the year. I mean..not Villalona nor Errera got it. It?s a bunch of bull@#$% if you ask me! If they were to do the same next year they would still give it to Olga Tanon. Now, don?t get me wrong I have a lot of respect for her but come on?.let?s not act like she?s all there is! Out of the six that went there last night not one went home with anything not even respect. Give me a break! I?ve had enough with these over proud mexicans and everyone else that?s involved! I will elaborate later on that note but like I said I don?t have a lot of time right now since I?m at work.

PS. Sorry for my writing not being too organized?I had to mix everything in there quickly.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
She always wins and I don't get it either... I think it's because the Latin Grammy's are so "Miami". I bet Emilio Estefan hand picks all the winners himself.

But the performances last night were awesome - especially Vicente and Alejandro Fernandez. They were too, too good. Shakira was also good, as was Celia Cruz. But, my man, Alejandro Sanz is the loveliest of them all!

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
JJ,
Nor do I. This so-called "Queen of Merengue" built her act by imitating Milly's style, but without the soul of the original. And these various music awards always spend enormous time and attention to boooorrrriiinnnngg and questional quality Mexican regional music, but very little time to merengue, one of the most popular dance music forms in all Spanish-speaking Latin America. [I might note that samba and various Brazilian pop forms, listened and enjoyed by half the population of South America, are also dissed by these award shows.] When the award shows do spend a moment or two on merengue, they treat it as an also-ran musical form and always award Olga, who is anything but innovative and certainly does not represent the breadth and depth of merengue.
Miffed,
Keith

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I think it's age, Hylwud...Did you notice a few times her dancers reached out to her so she could steady herself? All she has to do, though, is move her arms a bit and the crowds cheer. How old is she anyway?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
By my mom's calculation she must be around 167 yo Jane. The show sucked big time, if it werent for Alejandro Fdez. (oh my god! is it just me or is he yummy?) and Alejandro Sanz it would have sucked even more. The show couldn't have looked cheaper and more dissorganized. :(
And what is all this about anyways, Emilio Estefan's new toy?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
For me, the worst were Jimmy Smits and Gloria Estefan as MCs. Talk about forced esthusiasm:

JS: "Oh my God, what a night, what a night!"

GE: "Yes, Jimmy. What. A. Night."

JS: "You said it, Gloria - what a night!"

Shut up already!! We know! What a night!!!!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Let me explain how the Grammys work.

They are nominated by a vote by the Recording artists Union. the members of the union are the Arists, engineers, producers nd executives and anybody else who wants to be a member. You can be a member. Once these votes are tabulated the top vote getters are then nominated. The majority of voters are not even latin!
Then they start the process all over again. While this is going on the record labels promote the hell out of their artists.
Do not for a moment think that the Voters take the time to listen to all the nomines. If a Dominican does not win a grammy it is because their label did not promote them enough or not physically attractive enough.
Shakira won here grammy because she is know by Non-latins and she is hot.
To put it simply the Grammys are just a huge marketing tool of the industry. It has nothing to do with talent. Do you remember A Taste of Honey? Jodi Whatley? Millie Vanilli? They were all winners of "Best New Artists" Grammys! Where are they now?

Tony C

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I agree with Tony on that last post...

THE VOTERS DO NOT LISTEN TO ALL THE NOMINEES... Sometimes they don't even know who they are...Take an example: When they voted last year for Roberto Blades...his name was on the ballot as R. Blades...The stupid people that know Ruben Blades thought they were voting for HIM!!!
These awards are always so fixed...and then we demand RESPECT!!! Nobody is ever going to show any respect for us if we don't respect ourselves enough to do something right...
Even our "ghost" Mayor (Mr. Diaz) went to L.A. to try to win the awards back...after all the hoopla last year and the year before NOT to have the Grammy's here because of Cuban artists being nominated...This year they couldn't even get their visas in time to fly out...WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!!! I'm ashamed to be in this business...with all the dirty dealings all the time...
And Celia Cruz beat Marc Anthony?...Excuse me!!!
What about Jorge Moreno...who the heck is he anyway?...Oh, I forgot...he's Mexican...!!!

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
I didn't waste my time watching that garbage and I am really glad I didn't. I can't believe Olga would walk away with best merengue album when she was going against Villalona...bunch of cr*p.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Oh, I didn't watch the stupid thing...I just read the results in the news this morning...
I was watching something even more stupid than the awards...
I went to the Marlins/Expos game!!!
Talk about a bunch of cr*p...they were losing the whole time, till the bottom of the ninth...and they tied it!!! Only to go on a lose in the 11th!!!
They should just give up now!!! Forfeit the last 10 games...give it up...they're not worth a dime!!!
(Forgive me, I lost my cool...but it hurts...I'm like the only fan they have left!!!)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
What is all these crybabies?

Look, let's be real....the Grammys are a U.S. award. The United States is a very large country where the Mexican population is the largest minority. Count Mexican Americans and Central American alike who have similar taste in music and they make a huge market. Musica norte?a sells 10 times more than merengue.

These awards are based on recognition and sales. Eddy Herrera, Villalona and Toros Band are only known in the Dominican community and cities like New York, Miami and Boston. Other than that, people can recognize Jean Bertrand Aristide on the the streets easier than any of these Dominican merengue bands.

Eddy Herrera, Villalona and the Toros are having a hard time even selling in DR. Their music is stale. It is always the same. As for Olga Ta?on VS Milly there is no contest. Olga Ta?on is already moving into pop status and does a much classier and dignified merengue. Milly is a chopa screamer who learned that obnoxious scream when she was singing for colmados as a youth. Olga is a class act beauty and is an international star, who even married an all star baseball player and their romance was the subject of international gossip.. Milly would not even make page 200 of El Diario La Prensa in New York.

There are many merengue bands who sell more records in the US than Villalona, Herrera and the Toros and they are Dominican. They have brought about a refreshing sound to merengue. Oro Solido, Proyecto Uno and their former singer who has gone solo are much better offers.

Tell you what, I would prefer Mala Fe over any of these all timers and the young generation goes for these new bands.

TW

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I have to agree with Golo on two things...<i>"the Grammys are a U.S. award...and "These awards are based on recognition..."
(not on sales however, that's only the Billboard awards)...</i>

And to prove it, you have the list of winners...Since most of the people that get to vote live in the U.S....they think that this is all there is...and only vote for the names they recognize most!!!

That's why the Dominican artists don't get the recognition they surely deserve...I love Olga Ta??n, but to me she doesn't hold a candle to Ms. Quezada!!! And I thought you didn't like people that liked baseball players...why are you contradicting yourself now?

And what about Mala Fe?...You have got to be getting very close to your "old age"...you are getting a little senile!!!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Musicqueen

Perhaps you don't know what I mean by Mala Fe. Male Fe is one of the newer merengue bands and it happens to be better known than any of the merengue established bands in countries in Europe and the US.

In fact, Mala Fe became famous with "La Vaca", a badly written song which became almost a national anthem to merengue dancers in Europe. He just visited DR and was a sensation with his latest CD, which surprisingly enough has better lyrics and a mock social content. But the music and interpretation exceeds any of our local bands.

We must also accept the fact that merengue is a Dominican product, but we do not own it. Puerto Ricans no longer own salsa. We have great salsa musicians and Puerto Ricans are not complaining because we play their music. Some Puerto Rican bands are miles ahead of Dominicans doing merengue. I happen to like Grupo Mania more than any Dominican band. I could care less who plays it as long as I like it. Puerto Ricans have also do an excellent job with Regaton, and that's why Vico C got a grammy.

Al pan pan y al vino vino!

TW

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Vico C got the grammy because there is no other "recognizable" name in that field!!!

I know exactly who Mala Fe is...remember what I do for a living?

And I happen to like their so called "music"...even though my 3-year-old nephew could write their lyrics...the rhythm is sensational...

I just did not understand the fact that you could say you like them, and dislike other Dominican bands/singers...

Those people are "commercial" artists...but they stink!!!

Just because a lot of people like something, doesn't make it good!

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Musicqueen

Regaton is selling very well.Thank you. And Vico C is not the only one.

You might want to watch Telemundo's Top 10 videos and watch their sessions on Regaton. Vico C got the award but I can tell you of about 20 more who are doing better stuff and much more up to date. Of course, Vico is the creator, but his students are much better now.

This is very entertaining music and is a lot of fun to dance.

I don't have to like Dominicans because they are Dominicans. I like entertaining music. In spite of their lyrics, Mala Fe, Tulile, De La Olla and Oro Solido are the hottest thing. People like Sergio and Villalona get recognition just because they are there, like Celia Cruz, who should have been given some poison long time ago. Include Santana in that group of mommies.

TW