Costambar/Cafembar

S

Stephen

Well, I'll try again. Somehow my post of earlier this afternoon got deleted. I just GET BY on my spanish, but saw this article (below)
that appeared in the El Faro yesterday (Sept. 20).

Can anyone tell me what it REALLY means and what should anyone that owns property in either place do??????? Thanks

Here it is:

Encargado Catastro Ayuntamiento Municipal hace llamado no comprar solares Cost?mbar

El Encargado del Departamento de Catastro del Ayuntamiento de Puerto Plata, llam? a la ciudadan?a para que se abstenga de comprar solares en Cafemba y Cost?mbar ya que el cabildo est? haciendo una levantamiento de esos terrenos.
Miguel Cruz, hablando por intermedio de Relaciones P?blicas del Ayuntamiento, dijo que hasta que no se haga el levantamiento, no se proceder? a nuevos contratos y traspasos de solares.
Seg?n sus expresiones, qui?n compre un solar en Costambar y Cafemba puede perder el dinero ya que el Ayuntamiento no legalizar? esa compra.
Al mismo tiempo, llam? a todas las personas que tienen asuntos por normalizar con el Ayuntamiento, para que pasen por el departamento de Catastro.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It didn't get deleted. It is in "General Stuff".

I don't know what the word "levantamiento" means in the context of the message, but the short answer to your question is that this isn't a good time to buy property in Cafemba and Costambar because the local government won't legalize the transaction--which means, they warn, you may lose your money.

S

Stephen

But what about before......

Thanks for the reply Ken, but what does that mean for people who have land and buildings (which I do) in both of those places that they have purchased years (5-9) ago????

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Levantamiento = survey.

I could translate it, but I am too lazy now. It is what Ken said. It doesn't mention current owners except to warn those who have pending business with City Hall (pending taxes or disputes I would guess) to show up and make sure everything is settled ASAP.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: But what about before......

Stephen said:
Thanks for the reply Ken, but what does that mean for people who have land and buildings (which I do) in both of those places that they have purchased years (5-9) ago????

As Pib said, it doesn't mention owners, except for those who have pending business.

If you bought your property some years ago and have your title, etc., and if these were ok'd by your attorney, then you should have nothing to worry about.

However, if you have an attorney in the DR or know someone living in the areas in question, you might want to contact them for more details.

When a foreigner, like you and me, buy land in a country other than our own, there is always a little worry in the back of the mind. That is normal. I rarely use the services of an attorny, but do have one who has assisted me with my few purchases of land, etc. If I got a notice like you had posted and had any question about what it might mean for me, I would most certainly contact him. The alternative is to keep worrying, probably needlessly.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The Departamento de Catastro del Ayuntamiento has no competence in matters of the registration and transfer of privately owned real estate. The ayuntamiento does not have to legalize a private sale of real estate. We assume that the statement refers to land owned by the government and leased through the ayuntamiento to third parties. The transfer of such a lease has to be authorised by the ayuntamiento.

Julio & Chris