lost residency

lililarion

Sep 22, 2002
A longtime legal (permanent) resident of the DR I had the bad luck to lose my identity card last year. I didn't worry about it because I figured my information would be in the computer in Santo Domingo, but when I went to Sto Dgo last August to renew my residency I was told I had been lost from the computer. The fact that I had a valid cedula made no difference to my case and I was informed that i would have to start from the beginning to recuperate my status.
Is there no easier (and cheaper!!) way to go about this?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You need the assistance of an attorney. Unfortunetly, Fabio Guzman, the attorney who usually answers questions in the Legal section, is on vacation. But he would be a good man to help you because he has an associate in Santo Domingo who used to work as a staff attorney in the office that issues residencies. Personal contacts like that count for a lot anywhere, and the DR is no exception.

You can reach his website at www.drlawyer.com, then follow the steps to contact his firm with questions about how they might assist you. It will cost you to have an attorney represent you, but better this expense than going through the process all over again.

Good luck!

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
To obtain a new residency card, the steps are the following:

1.Based on law 1022-35, you have to obtain from the police (archivo central de investigaciones) a certification stating the loss of your residency. For this you need to bring your passport or your c?dula.

2. With this certification (issued by Secci?n de P?rdidas de Pasaportes y Tarjetas de Residencia), you have to go to immigration. Since you are not registered in the system you have to pray that they will find your file that contains all the original documents from the application. If your file can not be found, you will have to start all over again.

Julio & Chris

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This should not be a problem. they have my original fotos from 1962 on file!! Funny, but they do have some good records.
This is impressive. Why you ask? Because there have been at least five major hurricanes since then and you might think that the records had been wiped out. Not true-at least in my case...

HB