Mejia vs. Fernandez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Who will be the next president of the Dom. Rep.? Will
he/she make a positive difference between 2002-2006?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Well based on the past performence of the Dominican electorate Hipolito will be reelected.
and that will be a disaster for the country.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I wouldn't bet my money on that Paul. But I wouldn't bet against it either. The thing is that if things don't improve I think that His Dumbness will be soon retiring back to Gurabo... if there's a god up there.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Villa Trina said:
Does anyone think that PRSC will make a stand?
Maybe Jacinto Peynado?

We'll see if they can get together behind one candidate. Even so, they are presently #3 behind PRD and PLD with respect to the number of votes they can give their candidate. The best hope to defeat Mejia is for PLD and PRSC to join forces as they did when Leonel won the presidency.

Current polls indicate that Leonel is the most popular of the likely candidates. Not the polls mean much more here than they do anywhere else on election day.

Cira

Sep 24, 2002
I believe that you should not judge the past and current presidents. It is not them, but the government structure that is messed up. That is why there is so much poverty. We have people employed by the government, getting paid to do nothing. That their performance was not that good, do not blame them, blame the people because por querer estar pegao' will do anything!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Well lets see we have:
Hipolito
Fernandez
Peynado
???
It's one of these 3 choices or none, Hmmmmm, I would have to say Hipolito is in power and can control a little bit more the farce, But Fernandez knows how to play the game with finesse, Peynado is a walking dead duck, so that leaves the only choice:
Hipolito Mejia, because the PRD has always had the upper hand in votes all the time, they couldn't win years back because the party in power prevented it from happening via grand fraud, but today those tools albeit avaliable, are only able to be used in a very small scale, the only time PLD had the power was because the US gov pressured the Balaguer gov to step down(they gave fernandez all their votes which was illegal by the signed treaty of all Political Parties prior to the elections) on the grounds of military or embargo intervention, so it seems, rather it's the PRD who'll take the seat again, be a with a named Hipolito or God knows what.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
i think that Hipolito will bail out Why? 1. too much pressure from the average joe.

2. if people in the DR realize what is going to happen if he's back in office shoot will hit the fan.

3. the corruption in this government has been to obvious too many businesses closing their doors, poor judgement and who the hell will want some idiot that can't even speak in power.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
DR Math

Add this up!!!

Take everybody who has a job in the Government.
+
Everybody who works for a company that gets Government contracts.
+
All the people in the barrios who get free Electricity
+
All the people who get Gov. Freebies
+
All of the above's extended Families(Mom, pop, sis, bro, cousins, tias, tios..ect) and friends.
+
Gov. control of the Military and Police
+
Total control of the Junta Central
+
Total control of the courts
+
Control of the Media
+
The buying of voting Cards

= 4 more years of Hippo!!! "nuff' Said!"

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
DR MATH

That looks like a formula for a dictatorship, am I crazy thinking the DR was a Democracy?

Apr 26, 2002
Yes, Socuban

The DR has, since the mid 1960s, been a "democracy". But "demoncracy" must always be in quotes and said with a certain wink and nod.

As I've written before, presidential elections in the DR are like championship boxing matches: You can only beat the reigning champion by knockout.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Re: Yes, Socuban

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
But "demoncracy" must always be in quotes and said with a certain wink and nod.

Demoncracy! That's it.

Doesn't this confirm that the best (as in most effective) dictatorships are those that maintain an illusion of democracy?

Chiri

CoolNYer

May 18, 2003
www.beaconschool.org
Fernandez should win. He's better for the country. Anyway a Dominican pres. can't run for two straight terms. They can only run every other term. Anyway Fernandez is great and atleast he raised the peso. Mejia just sank the peso to 25pesos=1USdollar. I think Dominicans know the right choice.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
CoolNYer said:
Fernandez should win. He's better for the country. Anyway a Dominican pres. can't run for two straight terms. They can only run every other term. Anyway Fernandez is great and atleast he raised the peso. Mejia just sank the peso to 25pesos=1USdollar. I think Dominicans know the right choice.

Like most New Yorkers you are out of touch with the real world.

Hippo had the constitution changed to alow him to run again.
He has already announced that he is running.
The peso is at 26+ to one and climbing.
If Dominicans know the right choice then how come they elected Hippo and all of the other politicians who haved robbed the country blind since the 70's?

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
ditto what tony said

but make the exchange rate DR $27.50 to US$1:confused: Are we going to have to purchase wheelbarrows to carry money??

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It sure feels like it, Amber..........

I hope it doesn't turn into something like pre-WW2 Germany where $15 billion deustchmarks could get you a loaf of bread and thats about all you could get. People used to burn the money up just to heat their homes. Man, I gotta go with Tony on this one, not that I don't want Leonel to win but that's the way the cookie crumbles in DR...........

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
there won?t be any cookies left to crumble!!

The near future does not look good...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
As much as I hate to say this, I have to agree with those that think the PRD will retain power. Tony C. is right about his math. Not only that, but there are people who will never vote for anyone from a different party, regardless of how bad things are. The PRD has a hard/committed group of voters, who actually get out to vote, while the other parties do not. For instance my dad is a longtime PRD sympathizer. He's convinced that nothing is Hipolito's fault and that the PLD is bad for the country. This in spite of never personally benefitting from the PRD being in power. So imagine those people who actually get some personal benefit. Will they vote for anybody else? I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.