Swimming with Dolphins

Eilidh

Sep 26, 2002
Hi, I am going to the Dominican Republic in July next year for my honeymoon. :cool: I have a dream of swimming with dolphins and would really like to do it on my honeymoon. Does anybody know of any companies that organise this as it would be good to book it if I can. I am staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada so somewhere in that area would be preferential. Many thanks in advance to anybody that can help me out on this. :cool:

Eilidh

Sep 26, 2002
I just found an article on a website saying that Manati Park are being protested against because of the conditions that the dolphins are kept in. I don't know if I would want to go there if these claims are true but I really really want to swim with dolphins.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Manati Park

The trip from Playa Dorada in the North to Bavaro in the East is a 400 km trip, the better part of a day's travel. The Park is clean, well kept, and has food services. The animals show no signs of neglect from my observations. The entertainment includes the dolphins, dancing horses, and parrots and others. The fee to enter the park is US$25 for over 12 years and US$15 12 and under. The fee to swim with the dolphins is US$70. Note: The fees are not written in concrete, the brochure I used for info. is a year old. Regards, PJT

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
those complaining about the Dolphins in Manati park are the same bunch of tree huggers who complain all the time about any Dolphin in captivity. People have this Love affair with the Dolphins because of its portrayal by the Media and their anatomically built in smile. People think that they are some mysticlly, happy-go lucky creature that have no malice. If you ever got chance to observe Dolphins in the wild, trust me, your opinion of them would be much different.

Tony C.

S

Stephen

There is a new dolphin park that is opening in Cofresi (Puerto Plata) They say they hope to be open by spring. (The dolphins and other animals are already here and being trained).

Eilidh

Sep 26, 2002
:cool: Thanks very much guys, you have been very helpful.

Sorry Tony, I feel like something I have dreamt about has offended you! The reason I really want to do this is that it was my best friend's, little sister's dream to swim with dolphins and she passed away seven years ago at the age of eleven. Since then my best friend and I have always been very passionate about dolphins, it is like our way of coping with Stacey's death. So what if they are not the same in the wild as they are in captivity, does that really matter? It is something I really want to do.

Also, if anyone has any other ideas of things to do when I am over, please either email or message me. I am very excited about coming over and would like to know more about the area.

Many thanks, ;)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Eilidh.

I did not want to take yourd ream away. My post was in regards to the people protesting the captivity of dolphins. I have swam with dolphins, both captive and free swimmers, on more than one occasion and have fun it to be a great exprience. I say go for it and let the "TreeHuggers" be damned.

Tony C.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Swimming with dolphins

Last year, there was a huge amount of work going on in Cofraci (North coast, west of Puerto Plata) on the seafront. I was told it was to build a dolphin enclosure. An entire hill a few miles south was being stripped, exposing white limestine that was blasted to produce boulders that were trucked to the site to make the enclosure. Can anyone update me on progress, planned opening date, etc? Thanks, Canadian Bob.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Stephen!, Sorry!! I Just noticed your posting re dolphins at Cofraci. Thanks for your info. Canadian Bob.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I met some of the people training the Dolphins in Confresi Puerto Plata just in case people didnt know where it was.

Beautiful place being built at breakneck speed. It should be a boom for the entire area. My daughter swam with the dolphins on an Island off the coast of Cancun. Great experience.

Man I want to be my daughter when I was a kid.