Trip report _Barcelo Capella

P

pedroA

We had a great trip. Spent 2 weeks at Barcelo Capella
(last 2 wks of Sept). This is the short of the feedback (the details
will be reported in the trip report section).
The flights with Skyservice from To to LaRomana were on time (return flight was even early). The only aspect I did not like was
the lack of space on the plane -- this means 5 hours sitting in a very small seat where you can hardly move. My solution - I slept most of the way, so it did not seem that bad, but I had a back ake when I got out of there.
The hotel was great. We were in the newest section, facing the sea - good food, clean room, great service and very pleasant staff. Of course, if you speak spanish it always helps a lot.... the people are very friendly. The Dominicans customers at the hotel were a bit disruptive during the weekends, but it's no big deal..... after all, it's their country.
We visited different villages - spent a lot of time in LosConocos.
One good place to go if you want to have a drink and dance
meringue with the natives --- Buana Vista bar, in Los Conocos,
by the autopista, under the big sign 'Tropicales'. The owner is Bobolo -- tell him C?lyne and Pedro sent you.
One last note about Barcelo Capella (the only negative aspect
I have encountered) -- the management was treating the employees like slaves in the dining room. The Manager (from Spain) was breathing down their neck and watching their every single move. They were laid off (without pay) for the days the hotel did not need them (because of low occupancy) and were
obligated to pay fines if they were caught drinking a glass of water, coke or bear. They get paid $300cdn/month, no meals, only transport is provided for the people who finish work after 11 p.m. So one lesson to learn -- the very good service we demand from the hotels we stay at, is usually provided by the employees who get paid the least. Next time you're staying in a DR hotel -- make a effort to give something special to the low paid workers, at least this way, it will compensate a little for the bad treatment they get.

Art Covey

Jan 2, 2002
Pedro

Short version was interesting, have not heard much of that area and await the details. Where did you fly from?
Regards
Art

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
TO=Toronto.......

Ontario, Canada!
And yes Skyservice seats are VERY close together so it can get cramped. Good thing it's not a long flight (and I have short legs!!).

Glad to hear you enjoyed Los Conocos so much...we usually have a blast when we go to the discos there.