Lago Enriquillo

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
My wife has been pestering (requesting) me to take her to see Lago Enriquillo. Has anyone been there recently and can offer some advice as must views, activities, and accomodations. Also, a recommendation for modest beach accomodations in Brahona, that is not an AI and the best place to get a cold Presidente. Regards, PJT

Apr 26, 2002
Good spots to stop in and around the lake are the swimming holes (springs) at Las Marias (near Neyba) and La Descubierta (on the northwest shore). Also near La Descubierta is the entrance to the national park, where there is a motor boat to take you to Isla Cabrita to see the crocodiles and other marine animals (get there early because the sun is too strong to go out on the lake after noon). Ask the locals to find out about other, more secluded, swimming holes.

Check out the gingerbread architecture of "Los Rios", a village on the north shore.

Give yourself lots of time to circumnavigate the lake, as road conditions vary.

A decent economy hotel in Barahona is the Hotel Barahona, between the Plaza Central and the Malecon. On the coast about 10 miles south of Barahona (near Baharuco) is the newish Hotel Ponte Vedra. It is a moderately priced apart-hotel on the beach and has two pools. It is "european plan" with breakfast and dinner included. Further south, across from the AI Bahoruco Beach Resort is Casa Bonita - bungalos perched on a hill overlooking the beach.

No trip to the Southwest would be complete without a visit to the beach and spring at San Rafael, about 20 miles south of Barahona.

For the cold Presidente, try the Colmado at the northeast corner of Barahona's Plaza Central. It's Chinese-operated, attracts what few expats there are in the area, and has been there since the 1940s. And of course the Malecon itself has plenty of casitas - though the City's ocean front is disappointing.

This message brought to you by the unofficial Southwest tourist office.

Last edited:

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
El Sur

If I can add anything to Porfio's excellent post. Check out Polo Magnetico near the town of Cabral. Your car literally crawls up a hill on it's own. See if you can figure it out. Cabral is on the way to Lago Enriquillo.

For beaches I like Bahoruco beach as it is great for surfing. You can also if you are lucky find little pieces of Larimar amoungst the pebbles on the beach if you are lucky. San Rafael is also very nice. You best go on weekdays if you prefer a bit of tranquility. Have fun, the South needs tourists.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Folks, thanks for your suggestions. Are there any decent accomodations near the lake? Regards, PJT

Apr 26, 2002
Accomodations near the lake are sparce. There is a basic hotel in Neyba, which I understand has some airconditioned rooms. East of Cabral (south shore) is the Hotel Oasis, which was grand when it first opened about five years ago, but has fallen on hard times. I believe it still has a nice pool. The owner is a hard-nosed Spaniard that none of the local much like working for.

I would recommend staying in Barahona and day-tripping to the lake, Polo, etc. As Drake mentioned, Polo is a little agricultural village up in the Sierra Bahoruco, south of the lake. Access is through Cabral. It's main attraction is the "Polo magnetico" and the natural beauty and cool weather of its high elevation. The village was never much to speak of, and is even less now after the mudslides that came with Hurricane Georges.

If you go to Polo, see if the grapefruits are in season. They are the sweetest on the planet. Also, Bahoruco and Neiba coffee are far superior to regular Dominican coffee. And the platanos are huge.

rasilm

Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
Accomodation near Lago Enriquillo

Iguana Hotel at La Descubierta located about 2-3 miles from the Lake. rates are inexpensive DR$200.00 - 300.00 p/n Some rooms have a/c but they have not hot water.