one way tickets

vadardog

Oct 4, 2002
I am a Canadian looking to spend 6 months in DR this winter and am trying to find the cheapest flight possible. It seems like one-way flights might be cheaper, but I don't know if you are required to have a return flight when you enter the country. If anyone knows or wants to take care of my dog it would be helpful!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They have NEVER asked to see a return ticket

I go 6-7 times a year and it hasn't come up. If you are a gringo they don't speak at all to you so asking for a ticket is tough as a result since that wold involve the talking part.

Charters would be hard to arrange, maybe if you have definite dates just book on AA via MIA (assuming Toronto departure) with a return date out there - they book up to 330 days ahead. Or a full fare ticket which R/T is really the cost of 2 one way.

You'll overstay your tourist card by 4 months but that fine upon leaving should be around $20 US of less, maybe $10. They even have a special booth just to pay this fine so it is not terribly rare or punitive.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I understand that it is standard procedure for those coming in on a tourist visa to be required to show a return ticket. I have some friends who have gotten around it by buying an expensive refundable return ticket on their credit card and then having it refunded on their credit card immediately after they arrive. It seems strange, but it is a way of proving your financial solvency which seems to be the real point anyway. In fact, one friend had a good relationship with their travel agent and set it up ahead of time to have her cancel it automatically as I understand. Just make sure it gets cancelled. Net cost $0. Peace of mind- Priceless!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You Understand Wrong, Though

lhtown said:
I understand that it is standard procedure for those coming in on a tourist visa to be required to show a return ticket

They ask you nothing. I have been through SDQ airport 14 times in the last 2 years. Nothing is said, the passport is scanned, stamped etc., etc., they give it back etc., you leave, dropping off the tourist card top portion on the way out.

You may have to haggle with customs but even then I have had one bag opened once and one bag lifted up to test its weight once and that is it.

If you are entering on a Dominican passport they say lots of course the issue of a return ticket doesn't really come up for them since they are citizens.

As to the first message I have no idea how one way flights would be cheaper since one way flights are often the most expensive, full fare ticket you can buy , excpt if the round trip full fare is twice the cost in which case it is only then cheaper because you only bought 1/2 a trip.

I have heard some people allegedly buy one way home on Transat or Skyservice charters back to Canada but that seems to be a risky proposition in its own right - first they have to be willing to, and second, you have to find an non sold-out flight. I would set my arrival and departure dates and go to AA.com and buy a ticket . They will allow you to buy ahead 6 months and in a pinch you change the return date pay them $145 CDN and go earlier or alter as the case may be.

But if the guy wants to come on a one way don't tell him it is usual to have or show a return ticket because that is false.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Re: You Understand Wrong, Though

ricktoronto said:

But if the guy wants to come on a one way don't tell him it is usual to have or show a return ticket because that is false.

Rick may very well be right concerning the usual practice. Very often the law is a long way from the rule in this country. However, a year ago when we were coming here(US passports) from Costa Rica on one way tickets, we were asked to show our return tickets. Finally, we were made to produce evidence that we were working on our visa process and were finallly let go. I don't recall, but it seems the problem occurred in Costa Rica, not here. In a worst case scenario, you should be able to buy that refundable ticket at the airport as I have had friends do from the US to Costa Rica. Also, it may very well be different from Canada than the US or Costa Rica. That I have no idea.

Last edited:

La Profesora

Jun 23, 2002
I can tell you that in January when I returned to the DR after a trip back to the US for Christmas, the AA ticket clerk at JFK asked me about a return to the US and forced me to buy a one way ticket to Puerto Rico. Evidently, it is Dominican law that tourists must have a return ticket, or that is what I was told as I handed over the credit card for the one way.

I was also told that the ticket was fully refundable, but that did not prove to be the case. I was allowed to exchange it without penalty toward another ticket, but refund on the credit card was denied.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Vadardog, Check the cost of an all-inclusive resort in the area you are interested in, In most cases you are better off to do this & discard the return ticket. You can easily buy a ticket from a Canadian Tour Rep. to get back. We also do 6 months. Canadian Bob.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
it's about 50/50. I have 4 friends who came to Cabarete via Cabarete with one way tickets and were forced to by return tickets so they could enter. I just came back from Orlando and was asked for nothing. I think it depends on who you get, what kind of day they've had, and if the boss is around!

Marina