Driver's Licence

jason

Sep 13, 2002
My Canadian driver's licence expires this month and I am reluctant to return to Canada for the sole purpose of renewing it--it cannot be renewed from down here.
I understand that I can't obtain a Dominican licence without having a cedula.
My questions:
1-can I somehow obtain a temporary Dominican licence, possibly by applying for residency, and
2-what is the penalty for driving without a valid Dominican or foreign licence
3-if I'm involved in an accident, am I automatically responsible for damages despite the fact that the accident is not my fault

Thanks for your thoughts

Jason

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
It is possible to obtain a Dominican license without a cedula. I understand that you must have a visa other than a tourist visa such as a work visa. I am not sure if there are other visas that might qualify or not. I got that straight from the horse's(actually, he was a nice old guy) mouth at the Motor Vehicle Department. When you go, just ignore all of the people standing around outside wanting to help you. If you speak spanish or have a translator, you shouldn't have any problem other than waiting. It isn't as bad as some government offices.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
A WORK VISA IS ALMOST THE SAME PRICE AS A RESIDENCIA,YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH YOUR CAADIAN LICENCE FOR YEARS AFTER ITS EXPIRED AS MOST TRAFFIC COPS WONT NOTICE THE DATE IF YOU REMEMBER NO SPEEKY SPANISH,IF YOU PLAN ON STAYING LONGTERM YOU ARE BETTER OFF GETTING YOUR RESIDENCIA AND LICENSE DONE HIS BALDNESS THE BURRO SEEMS TO BE LEANING MORE AND MORE TOWARDS GETTING RID OF ILLEGAL GRINGOS,HELL HE DONT EVEN LIKE US LEGAL ONES

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are you sure you can't renew your Canadian License by means of the Internet? I can do it with my FLorida license...

HB

tigreloco

Oct 10, 2002
My wife ( Dominicana, landed immigrant in Canada) uses her OHIP card . Looks official, always works. Easier than getting her licence

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "LAW" whatever that means here,states

that after you are here for more than 45 days,your foreign license is no longer valid.Who cares right.I have been here 7 years without a worry.Even after my Massachussetts lic.expired.Well,the insurance company will not honor your policy if you have been in country for more than 45 days.This could,or may not be a problem.I gave a 2000 Chevy Blazer back to a friend of mine who lives in New York and only comes here every month or so,because I didn't want to take a chance!I drive my Huge Black Ford Aerostar Van,with 2 inch pipe bumpers front and rear.I have Seguro Pepin,costs me 850 pesos per year.I hit em hard,leave em for dead,and run like hell.CRISCO

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
If you are involved in an accident, even a minor one, you have to bring your passport with you to the police station so they can check that you didn't overstayed. If you did overstay, and you had an accident you are in deep trouble as they will handle your case as not actually having a license. And what Chriss said... insurance will not cover you, all expenses will come out of your own pocket.

This I learnt from somebody else's experience. The resident legal eagles may opine differently.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hey pal

Always think of the worst, specially in a country like DR. Let's say you are in an accident and someone gets killed. Now you are in deep s...ht. You will land in jail right away wether it was your fault or not. Getting out of the mess could be a "beauty".

If you have an accident in a "barrio" and kill a local "tiguere" or motoconchista it will not matter wether you have a license or not, just leave the car and run for your life faster than the lynching crowd!

If the family of the dead is an influential or rich person it gets even worse. I suggest you go down to Secretaria de Obras Publicas and get yourself an official "buscon", who for $500 pesos would be able to get you at least a learner's permit the same day and within 45 days you go back and get the same"buscon" and for about another $1500 would get you the license. no tests no nothing.

TW

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Law 241 from 1967 (ley de tr?nsito de veh?culos) establishes the following:

1. Article 30, a: Driving in the DR with a driver license from a foreign country is allowed for a period of 90 days upon arrival in the DR.

2. Article 30, b: Any person in possession of a driver license from a foreign country can apply for a Dominican Driver license. The basic requirements are: certification from the consulate that the license is valid, medical exam and a c?dula/residency.

3. Article 48: The punishment for driving without a license is: a fine between 25 and 50 pesos and/or jail between 10 days and 1 month.

4. Article 49: The punishment for causing an accident without a driver license always is a fine and jail. The specific amount depends on the damages caused. The civil responsibility is apart from that and depends on the actual fault.

Julio & Chris

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
3. Article 48: The punishment for driving without a license is: a fine between 25 and 50 pesos and/or jail between 10 days and 1 month.

Ill take the fine for 50 pesos please....

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It Might Arrive the day before it expires again

debs said:
Jason,

They'll allow you to renew it from another province/country for one renewal period via mail (snail).

I'm sure other provinces have comparable policies.

Debs

I am not too sure having it mailed from Ontario to the DR is such a hot idea, unless you don't care if it arrives. Better to have an address they can mail it to in Canada ( I guess not Ontario though or they'd want you to come in) then Fedex or DHL to you in DR. Fedex is $45 CDn for their envelope.

DeeDR

Mar 27, 2003
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Law 241 from 1967 (ley de tr?nsito de veh?culos) establishes the following:

1. Article 30, a: Driving in the DR with a driver license from a foreign country is allowed for a period of 90 days upon arrival in the DR.

2. Article 30, b: Any person in possession of a driver license from a foreign country can apply for a Dominican Driver license. The basic requirements are: certification from the consulate that the license is valid, medical exam and a c?dula/residency.

A few questions:

Does the DR issue a new license and can you keep your existing one, or do you have to surrender your existing one to get the DR license?

What if the foreign license is already expired? Will the consulate still certify that it is valid? And if yes, will the DR issue a new license in that case, or will they insist on an unexpired license?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Re: Re: Driver's Licence

DeeDR said:
A few questions:

Does the DR issue a new license and can you keep your existing one, or do you have to surrender your existing one to get the DR license?

they will issue a new license and let you keep your own

What if the foreign license is already expired? Will the consulate still certify that it is valid? And if yes, will the DR issue a new license in that case, or will they insist on an unexpired license?

that depends on your consulate, mine they did not even look at it
they just photo copied and stamped and send me on my way.
this part of the application was a farce .but the photocopy might cost you 50 dollars.

then it is of to the chancellery where they verify the signature.
another 300 pesos , dont forget to ask for the vip service
to get it done while you wait another 200 pesos,
then you are done.