dishonest lawyers

scaramooch

Dumb as a box of rocks!
Oct 1, 2002
Has any one who have dealts with lawyers in the DR know of any difference then the lawyers abroad, are the DR lawyers more dishonest or less or are they the same animal. Can any body post any bad experience with Dominicana lawyers, and does the DR legal system have such thing as a Bar Association like here in the states to protect you against incompetent or dishonest lawyers, or do they practice law with out impunity, what recourse does a person has against a lawyer who screws you short of killing him.

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
I have worked with both wonderful lawyers in Puerto Plata and some really slimy ones, but the one who was wonderful was mine, and the slimy one was the one for the person who screwed me over so I guess there it was birds of a feather.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The law 91 constitutes the Dominican Bar Association (Colegio de Abogados de la Rep?blica Dominicana).

The Ethical Code for the legal profession (C?digo de ?tica del Profesional del Derecho) establishes in articles 73, 74 and 75 sanctions in case of improper professional conduct. According to article 75, the attorney can be disbarred.

Furthermore article 1991 of the Civil Code establishes the attorney?s liability for damages in case he did not comply with his obligations.

Julio & Chris

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Here are the facts

DR is like any other country. Are U.S. lawyers any more honest than ours? I think not. There are good and bad lawyers everywhere.

However, your best bet is to deal with well known family lawyers involved with well known firms that have been in existence for a long time. Most influential people deal with lawyers who are politically connected. These lawyers are usually members or advisors of the current government and have their private practice going.

It is important to note that even our Chief Supreme Court Justice has warned that the country is full of incompetent lawyers. In fact he believes that a majority would not pass the test of competency. This is due to the excessive number of students in law school and the minimal requirements to become a lawyer in DR. There are fake grades even being sold in our universities. Just last week a major arrest was conducted in our largest university where grades were being sold for as much as $40,000-$100,000 pesos.

In addition, recent application tests for local judgeships were issued to law graduates who wished to become judges and almost 90% failed the tests.

TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I forgot

I also support Fabio's contention that our local Bar Association is doing its best to cope with bad lawyers and has increased its effort to eradicate corrupted lawyers.

Just recently they expelled a bunch of lawyers who stole money from their clients and violated laws.

TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Hillbilly

Hehehehe! Youre right my man...can you imagine not qualyfing for the most miserable job in the justice chain of command. I mean these guys wear wrinkled robes and sneakers with polyester k-brand pants. Have you also seen "our" lawyers at the Justice Department palace wearing those mickey mouse outfits and caps? Please, be serious. It is so depressing it makes me cry.

TW

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
scaramooch

My mother hired an attorney to manage some property and obtain a title.
She passed away and the attorney is still managing the property and will not give it up.
He has been conducting himself in a very suspicious manner.
I have spoken to many lawyers and it seems they are all buddies with this guy. Anyone I've spoken to has tried to rip me off!
They assume I have a money tree in my backyard here in the states.
So as far as I'm concerned they are all trained to be thieves!
I hate to generalize because I know that there is that "remote exception". However I have yet to find one.
Point is in all the years I have tried to solve this I have no good experiences to share.

Ccarabella

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: scaramooch

ccarabella said:
My mother hired an attorney to manage some property and obtain a title.
She passed away and the attorney is still managing the property and will not give it up.
He has been conducting himself in a very suspicious manner.
I have spoken to many lawyers and it seems they are all buddies with this guy. Anyone I've spoken to has tried to rip me off!
They assume I have a money tree in my backyard here in the states.
So as far as I'm concerned they are all trained to be thieves!
I hate to generalize because I know that there is that "remote exception". However I have yet to find one.
Point is in all the years I have tried to solve this I have no good experiences to share.

Ccarabella

Have you tried contacting the law firm that moderates this message board?

http://drlawyer.com

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: Re: scaramooch

Robert said:
Have you tried contacting the law firm that moderates this message board?http://drlawyer.com

ccarabella, I concur with Robert's recommendation. Fabio Guzman and the rest of his legal staff are not crooks. They have a well-deserved excellent reputation, which is why they are trusted by so many foreigners. The firm has offices in Sosua, Samana, and San Francisco de Macoris, and an associate in Santo Domingo.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Robert and Ken, I appreciate the advice.
I planned to contact Mr Guzman when my travel dates are finalized sometime in the near future.

Thanks again

Ccarabella

Chief

Nov 1, 2002
Honest Dominican Lawyers?

At least in the US there is a semblence of control of lawyers by the bar association [more of a protective association,k really]. In the Dominican Republic, if you think you have an honest lawyer you just probably haven't seen where he's screwing you yet. That's my experience. They have Americans for lunch.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Re: Honest Dominican Lawyers?

Chief said:
At least in the US there is a semblence of control of lawyers by the bar association [more of a protective association,k really]. In the Dominican Republic, if you think you have an honest lawyer you just probably haven't seen where he's screwing you yet. That's my experience. They have Americans for lunch.
Gee must be something written on your forehead,I personally know a few good lawyers in this country,then again Im Canadian not American(although that doesent make a difference)and I speak Spanish(might help)I treat Dominicans with the same respect I accord to others(maybe thats the ticket):bandit:

Coorsflyer

Nov 24, 2002
JOHNNY HONDA, good day. We have been to the DR a few times and have decided to retire in this fine counrty. You stated that you have delt with or know a few good lawyers. Can you direct to me to one that is fluent in relocation to the DR. would be greatful.

Thank you

Frank

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Frank
The first lawyer I would propose to you is right here at your finger tips.. Mr Guzman is well versed in english and has assisted a great many expatriots with their move here.If Mr Guzman cannot help I will be happy to recomend others.
J.H.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Frank, you didn't say what part of the DR you are moving to, but if it is the North Coast, there is no better lawyer for you than Fabio Guzman. You can check him out at www.drlawyer.com. I have known him and used his services for more than 15 years, including getting my residency. His clients include a great many expats and foreign investors. There are cheaper lawyers available, but you want one who is both very capable and honest. Cheaper in the long run, as many have found out to their sorrow.