How many boxes of cigars?

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I am travelling to DR for 2nd time in November. I have a customs question. How many boxes of cigars are allowed to be taken back to the US? Thank you.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
dale

Check prices in US and DR last time I could buy in miami airport for almost the same price.
X.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I think...

...that it's 100 cigars per person or 4 boxes of 25. But check US Customs website to be sure.

domerican

Oct 9, 2002
I don't know how many boxes, but I did see one Dominican traveling from D.R. to puerto Rico and he had a full suitcase of cigars! It WAS a problem.

Also, do not buy Cuban cigars. You'll pay a very big fine to US customs!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Concerning cigars.
You are allowed to take back two boxes of 25 cigars. You can probably get away with 75.

Be very careful where you buy the cigars. Although there are Cubans to be had, if you know how to distinguish the real ones, they will be confiscated upon entry, and they will ask you!...

There are many of the famous Dominican brands that are falsified also. Go only to reputable tobacconists-nearly an oxymoron here.

Where you are staying is also important. On the South Coast you have the Tabacalera Garcia, now part of Altadis, the French-Spanish conglomerate, there in La Romana. If you are in Punta Cana or Bavaro, then you have the Tobacco Museum near Higuey, which is, to my knowledge, quite reputable.

If you are going to be in the area of the North Coast, send me an e-mail and we can go see a factory or two....

The rollers that are at most of the hotels are using second and third grade tobaccos-to make money, so I can't really recommend their product--except that they made it for YOU!!.

Good luck,

HB, cigar guru? Naw..but just might know a thing or two....

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Concerning Cigars

Tobacco Products: Passengers/travelers may import previously exported tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in exemptions for which the traveler qualifies. Any quantities of previously exported tobacco products not permitted by an exemption will be seized and destroyed. These items are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on carriers operating internationally, or in foreign stores. These items are usually marked "Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the U.S.," or "U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the U.S."

For example, a returning resident is eligible for the $400 exemption, which includes not
more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars. If the resident declares 400 previously exported cigarettes,
the resident would be permitted 200 cigarettes, tax-free under the exemption and the remaining 200 previously exported cigarettes would be confiscated. If the resident declares 400 cigarettes, of which 200 are previously exported and 200 not previously exported, the resident would be permitted to import the 200 previously exported cigarettes tax free under the exemption and the resident would be charged duty and tax on the remaining 200 not previously exported cigarettes.

The tobacco exemption is available to each person. Tobacco products of Cuban origin, however, are prohibited unless you actually acquired them in Cuba and are returning directly or indirectly from that country on licensed travel. You may not, for example, bring in Cuban cigars purchased in Canada. Persons returning from Cuba may bring into the U.S. no more than $100 worth of goods.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
thank you all so much

To all who have responded,
I am bringing back cigars as gifts and I thank you all for answering my question. I plan on purchasing cigars in Santo Domingo and I will be certain that the cigars are of good quality. By the way, there is no way I will purchase Cuban cigars, too much of a risk. Thanks again.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am glad that Mac cleared that up. I usually deal with Canadians and they have beaten that 50 per person into my think skull....
100 cigars? Hummm, why can't I send 100 cigars by DHL??
HB

harrison

Sep 16, 2007
justa quick one... Why is everyone so worried about cuban cigars!? I've never really been a fan of cigars, but plan to try a few on my trip in october, and maybe bring some back.. But what's the score with cubans!?

cheers

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Cigars. Still very available, and some places have reasonable prices.
2) Cubans. Not available everywhere, so it depends on where you are going to stay.
If you are staying onthe North Shore, i would not recommend any of the cigar stores except two: Tim Hall's at Cafe Cito and the cigars sold at Super Super. NOTHING ELSE!!.
So if you want good cigars either buy them there or come to Santiago.

In Santo Domingo, you can get good Cubans at the Cigar Shop at the Jaragua Hotel. It is the onlyone I have personally checked out.

In the east, there are stores called FUMO that are very well stocked with Cubans at good prices.

so, tell me where you will be heading and I can tell you what your chances are..

HB