Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Players

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican Players

I read often DR1 news trumpeting the achievements of dominican baseball players in the Major Leagues. But when you look at the final 4 teams this year, the top(so-called) dominican players are not present. Sosa, Martinez, A-Rod, Tejada, Guerrero, Soriano, Mondesi are all sitting home. Which brings me to my next point.

It is my contention that while these players put up big numbers, they dont do enough of the little things that help the TEAM be successful. Things like bunting, or hitting behind runners, Good defense. They also don't perforn well under pressure.

Theres an old saying "You dont get off of the island by bunting"

Id like to hear the groups thoughts on this.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One Player Does Not A Team Make!

Lots of great players,Dominican and otherwise,are stuck on bad teams.I think that your post is way out of line.Dominicans are great under pressure.Look at where they come from.Life here is good training for dealing with pressure.I want to "Explode" every day! CRISCO

Miami Nice!
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the other way around?...I think Dominican players do more than they are required to do...(at least some of them) and sometimes it's the rest of the team that doesn't perform to their highest potential...
    I agree with Mr. Colon on this..."Lots of great players,Dominican and otherwise, are stuck on bad teams"...

Motorcycle MANIAC
    Post Thanks / Like

YO WISH I COULD BE STUCK WITH THE CONTRACTS THEY GOT!!!!
    HOWEVER YOU ARE 100% RIGHT CRISCO 1 PLAYER DOES NOT A TEAM MAKE AND THE AVERAGE PLAYER FROM THE D.R. DOES CARRY MORE THAN HIS WEIGHT WITNESS THE PEDRO MARTINEZ,SAMMY SOSA,JOSE VIDREO,GUERERO ETC. ETC. WHO ARE PLAYING THEIR HEARTS OUT EVEN THOUGH THEY KNOW THE TEAMS THEY PLAY FOR HAVE NO CHANCE OF WINNING THE PENNANT LET ALONE THE WORLD SERIES AS IN EVERYTHING IN LIFE HE WHO SPENDS THE MOST MONEY WINS

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Well...

...Soriano, Mondesi, Martinez, Sosa and A-Rod are all on Big Market teams with unlimited resources. Yet the players failed to get it done. Its funny the Yankees won BEFORE they got these two and Sosa, A-rod and Martinez have never won a thing.

The thread finally snapped...
    Post Thanks / Like

Man-oh-man, what is this? An attempt to get something started?

Only 8 teams out of thirty make it to the playoffs. These players are great, and would be welcomed on any team--winners and losers--if the price was right, provided that they (the players) were available.
    All four of the remaining teams have Dominicans on their payroll; some are on the playoff rosters, while others aren't.

Unless this is an attempt to start some discord, then explain why the Mariners, with the great Ichiro, are not on the playoffs.
    Why the blatant attempt at creating discord?
    Ernie Banks never played for a World Series winner; neither did Juan Marichal. Nolan Ryan was a non-factor for the Miracle Mets of 1969. C'mon, 'pardner', accept the fact that this current crop of Dominican players is very talented.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Wrong!!!

It is not a matter of Dominicans failing to get their teams to the semifinals. What about Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling sitting at home?

Besides, did you know that we still have Cristian Guzman, David Ortiz, Ramon Ortiz, Albert Pujols and a few others still playing?

TW

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a BB fan but I like Barry Bonds he can hang with the best the DR has to offer!
    Any objections?
    X.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MacInbrass, what are you talking about???

...Soriano, Mondesi, Martinez, Sosa and A-Rod are all on Big Market teams with unlimited resources. Yet the players failed to get it done.
    Sure, their teams may not be playing in the playoffs...as CC said, one man does not make a team. But to say these players failed to get it done, what in h*e*double-hockey-sticks are you talking about? Dominican players were at the top of nearly all individual stats lists!

Face the facts:

American League:
    Batting Avg:
    (1) Manny Ramirez
    Home Runs:
    (1) Alex Rodriguez
    RBI's:
    (1) Alex Rodriguez
    Runs:
    (1) Alfonso Soriano
    (2) Alex Rodriguez
    Hits:
    (1) Alfonso Soriano
    (3) Miguel Tejada
    Stolen Bases:
    (1) Alfonso Soriano
    ERA:
    (1) Pedro Martinez
    Strikeouts:
    (1) Pedro Martinez

National League:
    Home Runs:
    (1) Sammy Sosa
    RBI's:
    (2) Albert Pujols
    Runs:
    (1) Sammy Sosa
    (2) Albert Pujols
    Hits:
    (1) Vladimir Guerrero
    Stolen Bases:
    (1) Luis Castillo

In addition to Golo's list, Manny Aybar and Felix Rodriguez are also Dominicans who are still in the running. You can take the
    best player in the world, but throw him on a team with a bad pitching staff, and that player still has zero chance of making the finals.

PS
    Johnny Honda, your comments are bang-on, except that Jose Vidro is not Dominican. He is from Puerto Rico.
    Last edited by trina; 10-09-2002 at 08:11 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Originally posted by x_man
    I like Barry Bonds he can hang with the best the DR has to offer!
    and this is the reason why

mob

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast