Johnny Abbas

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
How about a little info on Trujilios notorious hit man from those in the know,such as factual accounts of his rise and fall and some of his actual crimes

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
You mean, Johnny Abbes Garcia?....... I've never heard of him.

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
So, tell us the *real* story, Tony C. He was really a decent, family-man kind of guy....

It's fiction based on fact and a good place to start, IMHO.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
How do you seperate fact from fiction? Even Vargas Llosa admits he had a hard time doing it.
Besides it is only one book. Do you believe everything you read? I am not saying that he was a good guy but I would like to see other records of his activities and not rely on a fictional account.

Tony C.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
No, I don't believe everything I read *coughespeciallynotonDR1cough*, but the "character" in the book suited me just fine.

What further reading do you recommend?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
IIRC, Johnny Abbes went to Haiti after the Trujillo was killed to serve his new master... the equally evil Papa Doc. After falling from grace he got the death he long deserved, taking down with him (regrettably) his whole family.

I may be wrong about dates and so... I've been known to be wrong once or twice before :)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
I thought Balaguer took Abbes down - with the help of Duvalier? Or rather Duvalier was doing Balaguer a favour by eliminating one of his biggest enemies.

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Jane thanks for the book info,how long did he last in haiti?How much power did he have during Trujilios reign,where was he from,did the us /cia have anything to do with his training,come on guys someone must know ,maybe el jefe or porfirio

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
From Vargas Llosa (sorry, only in Spanish)

La novela que ahora escribo, situada en la Rep?blica Dominicana en la ?ltima ?poca de la dictadura del General?simo Rafael Le?nidas Trujillo (1930-1961), me ha puesto sobre las huellas de otro soberbio Rasput?n: Johnny Abbes Garc?a, jefe del Servicio de Inteligencia de aquel r?gimen. Es, seguramente, uno de los m?s extravagantes e inusitados espec?menes del g?nero, alguien que merecer?a ?l solo una minuciosa biograf?a.

Hijo de una familia irreprochable, frecuent? de joven las pe?as literarias, y fue periodista deportivo y locutor h?pico. Luego, aparece viviendo en M?xico, protegido por el l?der sindicalista y pol?tico de izquierda Vicente Lombardo Toledano -se casar?a con su secretaria- y enviando informes secretos al Benefactor y Padre de la Patria Nueva sobre las andanzas de los exiliados dominicanos en M?xico y Am?rica Central. M?s tarde, dirige, perpetra y ampara varios asesinatos de antitrujillistas en el extranjero, una especialidad suya que trata de poner en pr?ctica contra el Presidente de Venezuela, R?mulo Betancourt, organiz?ndole un atentado con coche-bomba, durante una ceremonia p?blica, del que el mandatario se salva por un pelo (qued? herido).

Las historias de las torturas, cr?menes, desapariciones y chantajes perpetrados los dos ?ltimos a?os del trujillismo por el coronel Abbes Garc?a superan los peores excesos de la imaginaci?n m?s perversa. El ex presidente dominicano, Joaqu?n Balaguer, cuenta que lo vio, una vez, leyendo con verdadera delectaci?n por los corredores de Palacio un libro de torturas chinas. En esas p?ginas se inspirar?a para los indecibles tormentos a que personalmente somet?a a los presos pol?ticos, en su cubil de la c?rcel de La Cuarenta -uno de los cuales era sentarlos en la silla el?ctrica, o arrancarles las u?as, la lengua y los ojos-, antes de echarlos a?n vivos a los tiburones, desde un acantilado. Despu?s del asesinato de Trujillo, Balaguer se apresur? a nombrar c?nsul en el Jap?n al impresentable personaje. Pero ?ste se qued? merodeando por Canad?, Francia y Suiza, y termin? regresando al tr?pico de sus amores, esta vez a Hait?, como asesor en cuestiones de seguridad de un digno ?mulo de Trujillo: el Dr. Duvalier, m?s conocido como Papa Doc.

Su trayectoria haitiana culmin? en un peque?o apocalipsis. Fiel a su vocaci?n, particip? en una intriga subversiva contra su empleador, que encabezaba un yerno del tiranuelo haitiano. El Doctor Duvalier era un hombre expeditivo y no perd?a tiempo en sentimentalismos: hizo volar con dinamita la casa de Johnny Abbes Garc?a y en la explosi?n murieron carbonizados, adem?s de ?l, su mujer, sus hijos, sus dos sirvientas y algunos perros. Naturalmente, la leyenda lo sobrevive, y en Santo Domingo hay gentes que me aseguraron que ese catacl?smico final es una patra?a, ideada por ?l mismo, para borrar sus huellas, y que a?n vive, con otra cara y otro nombre, rico en dineros y en recuerdos, a orillas del Lago Leman.

dominicangirl

Oct 9, 2002
Interesting...This is like a history lesson. I don't know much about the DR history. Its a shame since I'm the daughter of Dominicans.

S

SDecatur

If you REALLY wish to find out about the death of the Goat, file a request under the US FOIA regarding Caribbean operations circa 1959-64

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
As Jane so eloquently put it YOU ROCK PIB!!!!Muchisimo Gracias por esta imformation.SDecatur how does one go about requesting documents under the foia and can non americans get access to it.

S

SDecatur

Determine the agency to whom you wish information from, send a letter to "FOIA COMPLIANCE OFFICER" requesting the document you desire. State that the information you wish is in the public interest and no charge should be assesed

S

SDecatur

Of course, that is why it is called the Freedom of Information act, to make all Govt agencies accountable to the public, ALL public

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I remember my Mexican history and some of the not so Mexican history Vicente Lombardo Toledano was the paymaster for the Communist party in Mexico and for Central America. Some reports say that he was also paymaster for South America. After his death, the job went to Argentina, I believe...
JaneJ: YOu should read "The Era of Trujillo by Jesus Galindez for starters...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.