What is the language spoken at Samana?

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
Hi, I read somewhere that the history of Samana is different from that of the rest of the country, and that they even have their own local dialect called "Samane". Does any one know what language is that, and what does it sound like???

Moreover, I was looking at a website that shows pictures of beaches in DR, and it seems that the most beautifull ones are in the Samana bay. I would't have thought that Playa Las Terrenas looks better than the Playas of the east coast (bavaro, punta cana) and it is still and undeveloped town with rustic facilities. I hope it stays that way because I'm thinking about buying a finca by the beach there in the future, but I guess that developement will be inevitable in this area once the new highway and international airport get completed, which will place samana at a closer distance from the capital than puerto plata. therefore, real estate prices will skyrocket in samana. My advice to people that have capital is to invest it there now that land is dirt cheap compared to other tourist destinations because the land value will multiply many times in a few years. Somehow it seems that DR tourism industry has been exploiting the not-so-impresive spots first, and saving the very best for last. This can be demonstrated by how tourism development first started in the puerto plata area, then moved to punta cana/ bavaro with its better beaches, and will further move to samana with its world class beaches. This is some free investment advice for those that want to make money.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JOCHYPLAYA said:
Hi, I read somewhere that the history of Samana is different from that of the rest of the country, and that they even have their own local dialect called "Samane". Does any one know what language is that, and what does it sound like???

It is English, but somewhat difficult to understand. In the early 1820's, President Boyer of Haiti, then the ruler of the entire island, decided to colonize vast unpopulated areas with excaped or freed North American black slaves who had farming experience. Most successful of these settlements was Samana, to which several hundred of the ex-slaves migrated in 1824-25. The language these slaves spoke was English, but keep in mind they were not educated people but slaves who had worked in the fields of Southern US. These people spoke English in Samana and passed this on to their children. Even today, many, many years after Trujillo ruled that only Spanish could be spoken, the residents of some sections of the Samana area continue to use this as their primary language.

This is not heard on the streets of Samana. Today the primary language of nearly all is Spanish. One reason for this is the fact that Samana today includes a great many people who don't trace their roots back to the freed slaves, and because since the decree of Trujillo, only Spanish taught and used in the schools.

During the 12 years that my wife and I lived there, however, we did get to know some people who consider themselves American because they descended from people who came from the US and who speak the form of English that has been passed down through the generations.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
JochyPlaya,
Prices in Samana and Las Terrenas are not as cheap as you think. For instance, Las Terrenas is a city of about 11,000 and it has been a tourist destination for 20 years. Oceanfront property in and near Las Terrenas/Playa Bonita and el Portillo on the east side is going for up to $100usd per square meter. It's not as cheap as you may think although cheaper land may be found further inland. Oceanfront land in Las Galeras is a little cheaper.

The best beaches on the Samana peninsula are found on the north coast on both sides of Las Terrenas and at the tip of the peninsula in and around Las Galeras and Rincon Bay where world-class Playa Rincon is situated. There are some 12 beaches on the twin bays of Rincon and Las Galeras and two more beaches, Playa Madama and Playa Fronton at the foot of Cape Samana.

And your right, Samana has been slow to develop compared to other places for several reasons, one of which is it's remoteness. The other is that the big money interests that have millions invested in Playa Dorada, Punta Cana, and other major tourist destinations have held Samana back. They know what is going to happen once Samana becomes a desirable tourist destination.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jochy

what's the matter with you? I thought you were a sanki_man so what would you do in
Samana?
May be you could get busy in Las Terenas.

The reason I say this is when I was there I met mostly french people.

I,of course, have a problem with them because they are our arch enemies since Napoleon came over and thought Germany was his. No way!

Anyway those french guys don't like indignous people and you can see this in Haiti where
all chickas are still black and beautiful.

Anyway what I was going to say was they bring their own women from france along and this strange behavior would play right into your hands.

So check it out and good luck.

X.

Ps. Bring a mosquito net.

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
I am not a full time "sanky" like the ones in DR. I was daydreaming about being one of them, but I never got a chance to get sanki experience and job training because my home town is Constanza which is up in the mountains and far away from the beaches, so I am just an amateur sanky . I have used some sanky tricks with my girlfriends abroad, and it comes in handy because I am going to business school in the US, and tuition is very expensive over here. I can't wait to finish this semester and get out of here. I am planning to visit las terrenas on my next trip in december. Que se preparen todas las mujeres extranjeras y dominicanas, que voy encendio pa' bailar y beber romo con ellas en la playa. Y que no se preocupen que yo pago la cuenta.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Samane uh!

There is no such thing as an idiom called "samane". However there is "Dominicane". This is the Spanish or Dominican spoken by Haitians. here's a sample: Remember, every "e" at the end of each word is accented!

Oye Dominicane tu sabe que yo no trabeje por poco dinere pero me toy muriendo del hambre y no tengo otro salide que trabaje por poco chele. Yo no soy ningun pendeje, yo me cague en lo pantalone poque se me taba saliendo la mielde y no tenia papele pa limpieme el cule. Yo use tuza de mai y si no encontrabe tuza de mai me limpie en la mima tierre y dejaba el mojone ahi mime.

TW

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
LOL. That's so funny golo. You sound just like a haitian "piti".

gole, usted sabe habla muche como lo haitiane.

Ok, now imagine a haitian talking "Dominicane" with a Cibao campesino accent.....

anda ei diablo. que naiga ma grande tiene esa negre. quiero romo y ceiveza pa bebei, poique soy un borrache, iguai que feli cumbe. jajajaja.

Me hiciste reir hoy tigre, ta jebi.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Oye Jochyplaya tiguerazo!

Cualquiere aqui hable come le Haitiane con tanto cagone como ese en ete paise. Fijate a ve que yo hata se cague en una litrene con una pate hacia arribe y el mojone caye como una guanabane en el fondo de la pile de mielde.

Oye me siento orgulloso de hablar tan bien este dialecte brother! Tnego que hacerlo porque pronto estos hijos de su madre nos van a gobernar tambien...hehehe!

TW

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
Jajajajaja, la verdad es que es bien funny como hablan esos tigueres. Tu lo imitas igualito loco.

Pero lo de gobernar, eso ni de relelajo lo digas. Pa que eso pase, tienen que ir a guerra con muchos dominicanos nacionalistas como yo, que peliariamos por nuestra patria hasta la muerte.

Ok golo, ya que tu estas tan informado sobre haitianos y bainas,dime cuales son los pueblos de RD, donde no hay muchos haitianos? Maybe tu debieras mudarte de la capital, porque parece que alla hay muchos.

Last edited:

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
So nice to see that you guys are getting along. Not long ago, when Jochy "el sanqui" Playa entered his first post golo didn't take too kindly to him:

Ya te lo dije buen sinverguenza, a menos que no cojas "pajaros" las chicas no van a venir a ti. Las mujeres que buscan Sankies le gustan que cojan todo. Tienes que ser macho, bugarron, pajaro y de todo.

Just like AZB and Criss you guys are playing together quite nicely ;)

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Theresa

My old comments on Jochy were in good humor. Nothing mean to it. As to his question about Haitian density in DR, let me say that they follow cement, blocks and "varilla". Anywhere there are construction sites you will find Haitians. They also love high traffic intersections in big towns and cities where they can beg and where their chances of getting something are better.

They also concentrate in areas where the are sugar mills and in towns alongside the border.

TW

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
TW, I know you were just playing around... To that note on their destiny, I say risk it and take a boat to Miami. I lived in "Little Haiti"(North Miami around 135th street Tony C and MQ will know what I am talking about) for a while due to where my college was. They actually have a good life there compared to what I have seen and heard elsewhere. They have also taken over the Cabana renting business on Miami Beach (not the cabanas like in DR) these are for sun shading. And here in Atlanta, along with the Kenyans, are taking over the taxi business.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Theresa

If you lived in Little Haiti you can live in Haiti too. That is one of Miami's dirties and unhealthiest neighborhoods. No one in their right mind would like to live there. Quality of life is a relative thing. While a Kenyan taxi driver in Atlanta may have more material quantitative things, they are still the lowest of the lowest at the social scale in Atlanta.

People look down at them and discriminate against them, just like they detest Pakistani blue collar types driving taxis in NYC. Dominicans who boat to Puerto Rico may have a job and better financial situation in Puerto Rico, yet they are nobodies in a foreign land where nobody likes them.

TW

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
Well it wasn't my choice to live there, unfortunately they have a $20k/year school in a bad neighborhood. My morning wake up to the smell of curry was not pleasant, although the people in that area had no regard for keeping things clean, they stayed to themselves and nobody ever bothered me.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Barry College huh?

Little Haiti is not the dirtiest and unhealthiest neighborhod in Miami. I would give that tittle to Overtown. Little Haiti is not much better in looks but it is thriving economically.
BTW The Allapatta area(Little Santo Domingo) is not much better than Little Haiti!

Tony C.

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
little havana is not much better than little santo domingo either. it's a dump just like little haiti.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
JOCHYPLAYA said:
little havana is not much better than little santo domingo either. it's a dump just like little haiti.

Ok Dude. Now you just sound silly!
Walk down NW 36 st and 12 ave at night! Now compare that to Calle Ocho! I guess those 10,000 people that come to Little Havana on the last Friday of the month are just asking for trouble.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Re: Samane uh!

golo said:
There is no such thing as an idiom called "samane". However there is "Dominicane". This is the Spanish or Dominican spoken by Haitians. here's a sample: Remember, every "e" at the end of each word is accented!

Oye Dominicane tu sabe que yo no trabeje por poco dinere pero me toy muriendo del hambre y no tengo otro salide que trabaje por poco chele. Yo no soy ningun pendeje, yo me cague en lo pantalone poque se me taba saliendo la mielde y no tenia papele pa limpieme el cule. Yo use tuza de mai y si no encontrabe tuza de mai me limpie en la mima tierre y dejaba el mojone ahi mime.

TW

Golo,

Cuanto tiempo dura para aprender a hablar como
ellos?

Moca