Hillbilly...

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
...I received an email with an attachment from you last night that read information. Did you really send me one? If so please resend because my computer wouldnt open it, possibly cause it was infected. You may want to check it out.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't think I have sent you an e-mail....I will run an on-line virus scan. thank you for the heards up. I will let you know if there was a virus from here

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I don't think I have sent you an e-mail....I will run an on-line virus scan.

Don't you have Norton AV or some other anti virus program on your computer? There are some pretty good free programs, like AVG, if you don't have a program and don't want to buy one.

elvirus.gif

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The problem with many free virus programs is that they do not update the DAT files on a regular basis. Many viruses have mutations that are equally or more dangerous than the original, often these arte released within hours or days of the original.

The paid software (Norton & Mcafee most popular) have the advantage of a large installed user base that continually supplies feedback on whats about. This allows them to bring virus killing solutions to that user base quicker. Then again, something free is better than nothing!

The biggest problem is people. They opening attachments and do not update their DAT files on a regular basis.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have a two year contract with McAfee, a weekly program of scanning for virus (none found) and continually update, as many as three times or four times a week.
Robert, I have sent you several e-mails this week, you should know if they were infected or not. Please reply if the Aussie lets you.
JaneJ, I have sent you several notes...did you get zapped by a virus? I hate those damned things!!
Anyone else get an e-mail from me? It would have to be one of those W32 type worms/trojans thingys///

HB

Last edited:

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
The email came from...

...Hillbilly@dominicancigars.com and the attachment read "information".

Robert is right you need to continually update your anti-virus software because new mutations are constantly coming out. Old versions do not adequately protect you and will not detect a virus.

I have the most up-to-dae anti virus so I am not afraid to open anything. But my computer wouldnt let me open it so Im guessing it was infected.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mac, your computer should tell you what virus it is. I do not recall send you anything....have you sent me any emails??
HB

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A virus gets into your address book and sends them out to all in it. Most of the time the sending is not aware of the mail out. Hlywud had a great idea about adding a new contact to address book. Name... AAAA email address wormalert@somewhere.com
if a virus does get in and uses you address book you will get a notice that AAAA couldn't be delivered.

Mickey

Mar 3, 2002
this sounds somewhat like the Bugbear virus that has been going around. it has the ability to appear to be sent from any address in your address book. it also carries an attachment of about 50KB if i recall correctly. If you use Outlook or Outlook Express you should turn off the 'Preview' feature (this actually opens the email as far as the inner workings of the computer are concerned) and/or download the latest patches from www.windowsupdate.com to fix this hole. Not trying to fearmonger, but its a possibility and hopefully this helps...

S

SDecatur

"Information" is one of the subjects that new virus (the one that made news last week) contains

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you. I have that AAAA address and anotherone in my book and it has not been returned???
I will check about the patch. Another virus scan showed no viruses. And I am up to date inmy DAT files...

HB, I sent you the cd with the programs we spoke about, via snail mail so it could be awhile getting to you.
Also Norton has automatic "Live updates" which work great, I know Anna C. is impressed with her Norton as I am with mine.
The AAAAAA email address thing works for some virus' that send themselves from your address book and lets you know the first one could not be sent but remember the others were sent, usually the virus sends either the frst 50 or 100 in your address book. Keeping your virus dat. files updated is essential.
Ans also "Mcinbrass" HB is right your virus software should have told you what the virus name was without opening it, it also should have tried to clean it and if it couldnt be cleaned asked if you wanted to delete or quarantine it. I suspect it was a clone virus that came from someone other than HB under the guise of HB's email address, some can do this.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a question. Wouldn't my "Mail Sent" box be full of sent mail?? And shouldn't this be a tip off?
I hate viruses...
flamethrower.gif

HB
bandit.gif

If you sent it , it will be in your sent box, but if it was off someone elses computer disguised as from you (phantom virus) it will not be in your sent box.
HB a great tool to check email with, is mailwasher, it looks at the headers of your emails and tells you who it is from before opening anything, you can then delete it or bounce it back to sender who gets a message "Undeliverable no such address" a great tool which was suggested by my ISP provider. Can be found free at http://www.mailwasher.net/

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The mailwasher works great as I can delete spammers before it gets into my regular inbox but my server will not bounce it back.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are retrieving your mail with Outlook or Outlook Express before opening it, then MailWasher or one of the other more-or-less similar programs is worth considering. But if you go to your email program (e.g., Yahoo, Hotmail, Mail2World, etc.) to check and read your mail, then it is my understanding that the present version of MailWasher won't help you. Then you will have to depend on whatever filters those programs provide.

email031.gif

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately the mailwasher does not work on IMAP e-mails, YET!!, When it does I will certainly make my donation! Looks like a great program..

HB

Maileasher will not work on web based mail like HB says, but it is great with Outlook and Express, I can't understand why it won't bounce AnnaC's stuff back, mine does as I tried it by sending mail to myself and bouncing it, then after removing my name from the blacklist.
I also had a couple friend send me test mails and I bounced them and they got a message "Fatal error, undeliverable address unknown".
The creator of mailwasher will have a web based version ready by the end of October so I am told. Of course I use both types of emails, one for all the DR1 stuff and sign up stuff (swiftdesk) and my ISP "POP" mail for those who I want to receive regular emails from.
In fact swiftdesk has a lot more benefits and less restrictions than the "hotmail and Yahoo stuff".

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The mail is sent out through Norton and I get an error message that it could not send out the bounced mail. :ermm:

Yip tried to send to myself and it said Norton could not send message. server would not accept message

Last edited: