Bringing a Jet ski to DR

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
Does anyone have an idea of how much it will cost to bring a jet ski from NJ to DR?

Are jet skis banned from any dominican beaches?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Jet Ski

Don't bother with it.
Most areas have lawful bans in effect. (Someone correct me on this if need-be). Transport guesstimate cost would be about, US$ 1500.00 just for ocean freight and then about US$ 300.00 for export documentation. (Note: Jet-Ski would have to be drained and cleaned of all fuel and lubicants before steamship line would accept it for carriage and then it would need to be properly crated to secure it from damage) You would then be subject to Dominican clearance procedures and customs duties. Those costs are subject to Dominican Customs Officials intrepretation of the Customs Laws and applicable tariffs. Best to put your money into a purchase of a small sailboat in the D.R. as an alternative to the B.S. you would have to put up with shipping and the entry a Jet-Ski to the D.R. Regards, PJT

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
I can't believe that they are ruining the fun of jet skiing in dr with stupid regulations like in the US. You are right, I could probably get a boat with the money I would spend shipping a jet ski, but I dont have the space to store a boat right now, whereas I could put a jet ski away at any of my relatives' homes whithout taking too much space. Another thing is that jet skis are a different ride from boats. They fly up in the air very nice and easy at higher speeds, and specially when you do wave jumping which is a lot of fun. Even the sound of the hydro-jet engine is beautifull. I will try to get more info on this, and find out if there are any jet ski dealers in DR. Thanks for your response PJT.

Jochy Playa

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
yochy

why don't you come with your yet ski to sosua and share that beautyful hydro-jet sound with 1000 peole swimming and sunbathing on the beach? May be you can even
make some diver loose his brains, mask and snorkel. For sure you will drive all the sharks crazy. But beware the 'fun' will only last 30 minutes because by then the police
will confiscate your terror machine and bring it to the next compra y venta.
Have fun X.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
You can buy jet-skis here no problem, a few dealers in SD. You can use them, no problem, but only in areas away from beaches. Most weekends you will see jet-skis zooming up and down in Boca Chica. They just operate away from the general public.

Buy locally to avoid all the pain, hassle and money...

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Edit: Yochy, on second thougt this may sound like a personal attack but forgive me
I,like all sailors and windsurfers, hate those noisy,smelly things.
I hope we are still friends!? (because I know we have at least one thing in common)
X.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Why buy a cow when you can buy milk in a corner store.......rent..not buy....my advise

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
No problem X. We can all fit in the ocean because it is very large. I like to enjoy my share of it jet skiing, but I'm careful not to hurt people or sharks. Missing_dr, you have a good poing. I might be better off just renting one for now. I guess pretty much any toys can be rented in DR.

Jochy Playa

Getting one step closer to run way to DR. (just like Isaac Green):cool: :cool: :cool:

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Jochy, Be careful on the wave jumping business. When you go up in the air and come landing down hard on the jetski seat, just imagine what you are doing to your spine? I can imagine that you are a young lad but with the micro-injuries that you might be accumulating on your lumbar discs, you are sure to pay for it later in life. If you must jump waves in high speeds, make sure you use a tight lumbar support belt under your life jacket. Spinal discs can rupture without notice; once you herniate a lumbar disc, you are done with you comfortable lifestyle, let alone jet ski rides. Take my words of advice or get ready to become my patient in the near future. Have fun :)

Your santiago local, friendly chiropractor.
AZB

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
AZB, muchas gracias por tu consejo. I had no idea that I could hurt my back like this. Now, I have a question for you. Would it be healthier for my spine if I jumped waves in a stand-up jet ski instead of a sit-down one?

Jochy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I had seen a case where the guy was standing up on the jet ski and jumped a huge wave in hawaii. he came crashing down on the jet ski and suffered 3 compression fractured vertebral bodies. He broke his vertebral bodies and ruptured his discs. he was lucky to be still walking after some reconstructive surgeries but I am sure his Jet ski sports career was over and not to mention severe back pains for the rest of his life. Be careful man.