Calling the US (*20 is a scam)

lavitaebella

Sep 25, 2002
What a rip off we tried to make phone calls to the US using that *20 and every single calling card wouldn't go through and we would be asked if we wanted to use our credit cards... kind of fishy because I do use 2 of them regularly, anyway anytime we asked the operator to get connected to SPRINT or MCI we would get back to square one same international operator ... then I got really tired talked to the concierge Manager in Italian and told him that I was not happy... and surprise surprise all suddnley every time we tried to call we were routed directly through the MCI number..... Does anyone know what's the name of the International Operator? Would love to report them to the Better Business Bureau

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Are you sure it was the international operator and not the hotel switchboard that was causing you problems? Since the hotel manager cleared up the problem so quckly, can't help but think that the problem was caused by someone under his control.

lavitaebella

Sep 25, 2002
Yes

I'm sure the *20 connected me to an international operator because on all occasions I asked and was told it was in the US, the other problem was when I called 0 and got the local operator he would then connect me again to *20 even although I had asked for the direct MCI/SPRINT number, when I finally complained to the Manager that's when they gave the toll free numbers for MCI/SPRINT

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Better to use a phone calling shop

DR to USA/Canada is at 3.9-4.0 RD pesos/minute in all the phone calling shops so why you'd even try to use Sprint, ATT access #'s calling cards etc., is a real mystery since even if it works it has to be 3 X the cost of direct calling from a phone shop. And they are every where and you can even sit while you chat.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Sometimes it may be worth paying more to avoid having people scream at the top of their lungs within a foot of your cubicle. When I've made international calls from a busy calling room I am often asked "where the hell are you calling from?" I enjoy the cultural experience when it doesn't matter and I use my cell phone when I need privacy and/or quiet.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
There's More and then there is a lot more

I have used the Codetel booths in Boca Chica ( when they existed) and the ones at a cambio and it was all quite civilized so I think generalizations are not always accurate. Another alternative where the risk is set in advance is to buy a Communicard from a cambio or colmado, use a blue Codetel phone at a Punto de llamada and then you cannot overpay since the call and the cost is limited to the card value. Also by dialling 611 (vs. 311) on the blue phone, visitors can get step by step instructions in english.