coral hamaca

mtime29

Oct 16, 2002
Just got back from coral hamaca.What a nightmare,rats running around in rooms at night.Keep a good watch on your kids.Do not recomend at all.Very dirty.

mtime29

Oct 16, 2002
Nicest part of my trip was getting in the taxi and taking me back to the airport.A nightmare to remember.Sorry, but it is all true.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sorry you didn't have a nice time. I had one trip that I remember that was just as horrible.

I was in St. Thomas and I was stoned along with my friend on motorbikes. We just drove to the airport and got on a plane to Puerto Rico and called the bike rental people to pick the darn things up.

Was that your first time in the DR?

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Scot..maybe you and your friend should have gotten off your motorbikes before you decided to get stoned :)

Where is Coral Hamaca anyway?
Larry

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Sounds Unlikely

mtime29 said:
Just got back from coral hamaca.What a nightmare,rats running around in rooms at night.Keep a good watch on your kids.Do not recomend at all.Very dirty.

As much as I hate the idea of All Inclusive on a general policy basis this is quite a nice hotel and rats and dirt everywhere sounds like a load of crap frankly.

I meet quite a few (travel-scared) tourists from Hamaca when I am in Boca Chica and apart from the general boring nature of the place nobody is saying it is filthy or rat-infested. And by and large it is full of quite well to do tourist types who don't sleep with room rats.

Did you have some disagreement with them and this is retribution maybe?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
mtime29 said:

I find this a quite unusual comment regarding the Hamaca. It has been a while since I have been there last and to my opinion the place has been first rate.

If you feel this way, have you done anything to report the incident to the business, to receive compensation for your inconvenience, before bringing this matter to the message board?

I have the same vibes as ricktoronto, and suspect you have some other agenda against the A.I. Regards, PJT

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I stayed at the Hamaca a few months ago. It was fabulous, much better than in the past, which was also darn good. The place has come a long way in 8-10 years and has really expanded. This is one of the few hotels that can compete with the best of Punta Cana. The grounds are huge and the place is classy.

Rats? I believe it. Any hotel, restaurant, or home can have them. I killed one as we at a 5-star restaurant at the Marriott in Cable Beach, Bahamas. It was on my girlfriend's lap. I told her "don't move, swatted it to the ground and stomped it". They comp'ed all 10 of us our meals. One of the guests owns one of Cleveland's finer restaurants commented, "All restaurants get rats on occassion, just like they get flies".

I stayed for a month at the Radisson in Flint, MI, 5th floor. I saw a mouse. It was in my grocery bag of munchies. I caught it and called security, who just carried it off. I complained and they did nothing but supply me a glue trap. I bought "real" mouse traps the next day, caught 5 in about 3 hours while I was out to eat, took pictures, wrote an article and threatened to publish it in local papers, and ended up getting my month's stay for free (I moved out that day too).

Having rats doesn't make it dirty, it means it needs rat control. All my homes have had mice or rats on occassion, perhaps not inside, but on the grounds. Rodents are part of our environment like mosquitos and squirrels. I hope the hotel is taking efforts to get rid of them because they multiply fast. They ususally keep out of sight and only go where the food is.

Hotels that have room service end up with food hanging out in the rooms, the hallways, in trash containers, etc. This will attract rats and cockroaches. The better properties are exterminated regularly.

S

SDecatur

mtime29 said:

Did room service charge for "Rat a la Carte" or was it in the all inclusive plan?

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
I also stayed at the Hamaca on my first visit to the DR and it found it rather adecuate. In fact, I later stayed at the Amsha Paradise in Bavaro and the food and grounds were not as good.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Rats. like the poor, will always be with us.
When we kill all other life on this planet there will be rats, cockroaches, and crocs.....think about it.

Sounds fishy to me, too.

HB

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
I had the occasion to work 2 years at the hamaca,until hurricane Jorge hit ive never heard anyone complain and it is the top resort in Boca ChicaLOL

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
maybe he didn't get any and he blames the bad vacation on the resort...

ha haha
(jokes... buddy, pure jokes)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The WRONG hotel for THAT

Lee-Lee said:
maybe he didn't get any and he blames the bad vacation on the resort...

ha haha
(jokes... buddy, pure jokes)

They won't let guests bring in , ahem, ahem, companions (not without paying a lot). Maybe when told that he said "RATS!".

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
I gotta agree with the majority here

We didn't stay at the Hamaca during our April, 2002 trip, but we did walk through the place to look it over. What we saw was smiling faces; lots of them. The guests seemed to be enjoying themselves greatly.

We truly enjoyed a fine dinner at El Pelicano restaurant on the grounds of the Coral Hamaca. The meal was great and the service was absolutely wonderful.

And the setting was truly beautiful. :)

Swede

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
mtime29 said:
Nicest part of my trip was getting in the taxi and taking me back to the airport.A nightmare to remember.Sorry, but it is all true.

mtime29, please elaborate. It is all true? All what? The rats? Switching you to a room in another location of the hotel would have solved your rat issue instantly. What else was wrong? What about "keeping a good watch on your kids"?

Remember, we're talking about a hotel that guests can stay for around US$60-75 per night per person, including lodging, food, drink, entertainment, and water sports equipment and it is really a very nice looking place. It's where I'd send my parents for their first visit to the DR, if not Punta Cana.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Jim's right, the Hamaca is considered a prime property and a Dominican showplace. Comparable places on Jamaica or in the Virgin Islands cost 4 to 5 times as much. Of course, there aren't likely rats running about or knawing at children.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Re: Re: coral hamaca

SDecatur said:

Did room service charge for "Rat a la Carte" or was it in the all inclusive plan?

Some of the bellhops are of slight build. I wonder did the rat wear a uniform and ask for a propina? Maybe it was Miguel.

Martin

Mar 8, 2002
Rats at the Hamaca?

I fly regularly to the DR for business (sometimes six or seven times per month) and I've taken my family to the Hamaca twice in the last four years.

I have had great experiences and no complaints at all. The food was good (could be better) but the hotel staff and grounds are super. I would recommend this hotel anytime (and I have!)

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I Think we all agree....

that mtime29 is the 1 guest out of the thousands who stay there that had filth and rats. And since he hasn't come back to illuminate further perhaps he had an axe to grind generally.

Fortunately that kind of post generally winds up being corrected by others with experience so I don't think hamaca will suffer any.