Barcelo Bavaro Palace & Vacation Express

lavitaebella

Sep 25, 2002
When I booked our vacation the travel agent told me that Vacation Express offered an OceanView upgrade for $99.. since it was our anniversary I went for it, well once we got there we were told there was not such a thing and rooms are given on the first come first serve basis, talked to the Vacation Express rep and he couldn't give me a definitive answear they offered to move us once the OceanView room was available but with one day before departure we didn't want pack and unpack, anyway has anyone had a problem like this? The guy at the concierge made it sound like Vacation Express was making money selling a package that didn't exist...
Our Travel Agent is now trying to get us a refund.. otherwise I will have to fight Vacation Express via Credit Card company

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I'd say...

...you're due a refund of $99.00. Sucks that you were mislead that way but the wholesaler probably didnt even know.

Sapphire&Pearl

Sep 30, 2002
Thanks for the post

Sorry about your luck with the upgrade, but I think you just saved us $99.00. The upgrade is in all of our travel information and we are looking at the same hotel.

How was the hotel (minus the lack of ocean view)?

Best of luck with receiving the refund!

Cheers,
S, D & P

lavitaebella

Sep 25, 2002
The Palace

was very nice We both loved it (I'm Italian wife is American), spacious rooms (altho no much of decore.. but who cares room is for sleeping), very clean, our maid came in the room at least twice a day with new towels, employees were friendly and helpful, food was good everywhere we went (exception with the Italian restaurant but I'm Italian and very picky about italian food LOL the other exception was the breakfast buffet I ate mostly fruit in the morning ), entraitenement was good nightly shows were for the most part decent, drinks.... well couple times wife complained there wasn't much booze in it I'm not into mixed drink but I did enjoy caipirinas and daiquiris bartender (the pool bar) was good and friendly. You will read alot of reviews that go from really good to really bad and I think the reasons are the following:
1) Time of the year you go... we went off season (October) so the facilities weren't that crowded, never had to wait for a table at any of the restaurants also the weather was hot but not incredibly hot (mid 80s) I can imagine eating at night when it's in the 90s with no AC that would be very uncomfortable.
2) All the Bavaro facilities we visited seemed to cater mainly to the european, south american and spanish crowd, that was great for me since I speak italian, english and some spanish> If you go down there expecting to be served like you would in a Marriot hotel in the US then you are in for some disappointment. You are not in the US you are in a spanish speaking country if you respect that and you are adventurous enough to try to communicate with locals and employees you won't have much of any problem. Also if your diet is made of hamburgers and french fries at McDonald then you might not like what DR has to offer.
Here what I didn't care too much:
1) Phone service (see my other post on *20) the international operator tried to rip us off with a $15 access fee, the local operator wouldn't give us the direct phone number for Sprint/MCI I had to complain til they finally put us through.
2) On the way back to the US the bus dropped us off at the airport 3 1/2 hours before departure I suspect this so that we could drop some $$$ in the shops, I didn't think 3 hours in advance was necessary.
Regrets about the trip... we should have gone on at least the safari tour I think was $75 and everybody who I talked to enjoyed it very much, this very short trip for us was for pure relaxation and wife didn't want to leave the beautiful beach....
We will go back probably next year probably for a week.
If you have any specific questions just e-mail me

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Saphire and Pearl
I thought you ladies were looking to party?If so Bavaro is way low on the list of places id go,the night life sucks what there is of it,better try Puerto Plata,Sosua,or the party capital Santo Domingo,however if you choose Santo Domingo its not all inclusive and i suggest you hook up with some folks from the board to show you around as it can be a confusing place if you dont know your way around,if you choose the other two feel free to give me a shout

Sapphire&Pearl

Sep 30, 2002
Man....our travel agent sucks!

That?s it?.it is official?.we are no longer listening to our travel agent!

From now on we are taking all the advise on this board as gospel and our travel agent can take a long walk off a short cliff!

Thanks for the hotel report lavitaebella but as Johnny Honda pointed out?I don?t this will be the best place for our holiday.

Our travel agent gave us a (short) list of AI resorts that they book through?I am at work right now but when I get home I?ll post the list and get some advise on what resort will be the best for us! Thanks for the rescue Johnny Honda!

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Since i work in playa dorada and live in sosua i know most of the hotels get the list and i will be happy to tell you which is best and what to expect
ciao:bandit:

lavitaebella

Sep 25, 2002
Zaffiro

Definately the Palace is not the place for you girls... I didn't particulary liked the disco and the average age there was mid 30's, on our flight there was a bunch of college kids and if I don't make a mistake they all went to the Paradisus, they said that they had more than a share of fun

GRS

Jan 2, 2002
Airport

They don't drop you 3 hours before so you can go shopping at the Airport since shopping there is very limited. They do it so you are out of the hotel earlier and they can do other runs without having to get extra equipment. It is a standard issue for tour operators to drop passengers way before their flights.

lavitaebella

Sep 25, 2002
Vacation Express (quick update)

Since I got couple e-mails about Vacation Express here what's going on.. my travel agent has spoken with the V.E. rep and she promised in less than 45 days !!!!! I should get my money back..... I don't think this is a fair solution so I'm going to contact my Credit Card company and I will try to get my $99 back that way..
Two thumbs down to Vacation Express