Bet you didn't know...

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
1. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes, the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. That's where the phrase, "goodnight, sleep tight" came from.
2. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the "honey month" or what we know today as the honeymoon."

3. In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's."

4. Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When they needed refill, they used the whistle to get some service. "Wet your whistle," is the phrase inspired by this practice.

5. In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was entitled Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden....and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
During the days sail ships criss crossed the oceans...the pregnant women having problems in giving birth were place between two cannons and the cannons fired....this usually resulted in instant child birth and so was born "Son of a Gun".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the root of the use of O.K. comes from an 1839 Boston Morning Post newspaper. the O.K. meant "all correct" since at that time the mis-spelling of words was in high fashion , therefore "oll korrect" became ok, and entered the English language. K.Y., kno yuse (no use) died away...(except for a jelly)

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
You see JazzComm, you learn so MUCH from us Brits & owe so much of your heritage to us too!! Why then do you try to screw up our language???
Try these for investigation:
Taking the Queen's (or King's)shilling.
Tied to your Mother's apron.
Being Hood-winked.

Have fun & try NOT to be good - Grahame.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Jazz . com

Today I can unequivocally say: its the first time I have learned something from your frequent postings.

Thank you for making me a more informed person.

X.(go Giants!)

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
X_man,

You "Son of a gun", surely Jazz has "Hoodwinked" you into believing that he is a superior human being compared to you. I think you must now watch your "P's and Q's" while you try to take the "Queens shilling" and ensure that you do manage to "Sleep tight" .

But by all means please continue to "Wet your whistle" while we enjoy reading your short humorous posts which no doubt you think of posting at the "Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden" games with yer fellow folks!!!!

(We gotta drink the bar dry one day buddy) 'cause what I mean is that you are "OK"

Cheers!!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Honeymoon: The Babylon thing is just an internet rumour, as the word has French and German counterparts that have nothing to do with mead. The word honeymoon first appears in the 16th century. The honey is a reference to the sweetness of a new marriage. And the moon is not a reference to the lunar-based month, but rather a bitter acknowledgement that this sweetness, like a full moon, would quickly fade.

Ps & Qs: There are several theories, of which the pints and quarts is one - except that is what the customers would say to the bartender when he was tallying the bills.

The most recognized origin is that children have trouble differentiating between the letters p and q, therefore "Mind your Ps and Qs" became a stern reproach to children to learn their letters.

Golf: Jazz, it's really a challenge to believe that they talked that way in 14th century Scotland!

Son of a gun: I thought it was because women would have sex with sailors between the cannons - the product being a "son of a gun".

OK: There are many theories on this one too. I have heard that it comes from WW1, used to report "0 Killed". There is also the idea that it stems from "Aux Quais" (French for "To the ports") which was marked on the bales of cotton in the Mississippi river ports.

Taking the King's shilling: In the 18th and 19th centuries, 'press gangs' went around trying to recruit youths for the British Navy. Usually they would get them drunk first, sometimes putting a coin into their beer mugs. Once the coin was accepted, they were enlisted. (Other times they were just knocked unconcious and would awake already at sea!)

Hoodwink: First seen in 1562, meaning to blindfold.

Next! ;)

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
From what I can read about the word, there is a theory (that is refuted by many) that the word posh was an acronym, stamped on first class passengers' tickets travelling from England to India, which stood for "Port out, starboard home". Supposedly, the portside cabins were cooler on the way there, and the starboard cabins cooler / more comfortable on the way home. There is no proof of this, as a ticket stamped as such has never been found.

Etymologists seem to think that the word posh is really derived from the Romani (Gypsy) language, in which posh means "half", as in posh-kooroona (half-crown), posh-houri (halfpence), etc. Therefore the term "posh" would be applied to a fancy dresser, a dandy, or someone who looked like money.

Others think the word was born of a typo, and others still think it was a contraction of the word polish.

Edited to add:
crazya.gif

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JaneJ: I can't believe you would fall in my trap....I will send you an e-mail I just love...
Later, hehehe
HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"The Whole Nine Yards"

A Cement truck holds 9 cubic yards of cement when full.The driver would ask if the customer wanted."The hole nine yards" when he made the delivery!...........CRIS

domerican

Oct 9, 2002
Does anyone know where the word "gringo" came from? Well, this is my dad's version of the story (I only remember the jist, since he told it to me about 16 years ago).

The word "gringo" dates back to when the North Americans came to the DR (many, many years ago) to play in an international basketball competition. The Americans had green uniforms and the Dominicans would shout to the players when playing defense: "green go!, green go! Hence, the word "gringo".

The Domincans wanted the Americans to go back home.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else has a different version of the word.

'smiles'

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
A little research shows that, according to popular lore, the term "gringo" was thought to have been coined by Mexicans during the Mexican-American war. It says that the Mexicans became so tired of hearing the Americans singing a song called Green Grow The Rushes-O that they called them Gringos.

However, there is a reference in the Diccionario Castellano that predates the Mexican-American war by more than 50 years. The dictionary says that gringo is a disparaging term for people who spoke Spanish very badly. Gringo is probably derived from the word griego (Greek), as in "it's all Greek to me".

Your friendly, amateur etymologist,

Jane

Last edited: