First time to DR- Sosua or Las Terrenas?

Jean&Megan

Oct 21, 2002
Hi all!

Can't decide between the two- here are our questions: Is Sosua's beach as pretty as anything in the samana peninsula? Is there anything at all going on at night in Las Terrenas for two single 30-year olds (read- moderate boozing and schmoozing)? How 'bout sporty stuff like snorkeling, kayaking etc.? And finally, good places to stay in either (close to beach, nothing fancy, cheap!!)

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated, we can't wait to go! Oh, we're going from end Dec- mid Jan.

Thanks!

Jean and Megan

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
You may prefer Boca Chica

For a beach and a lot of facilities and lots of tourists. While I hate AI's personally there are some pretty good deals at Don Juan or Hamaca if you are coming from the USA or Canada.

And trips into the capital for clubs etc., are probably more fun, especially if you speak the lingo.

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
The beach at Las Terrenas is much nicer, but the area is far less developed, so don't expect much nightlife. One of the hotels with the best value is an AI called Cacao Beach Resort.

Sosua has much more going for it. The beach is much smaller, but still quite nice, and there are plenty of bars to go out at night.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of those two: Sosua. Why? Less yuppy, closer to more action.
You are 15 minutes from Playa dorada and the discos there, there are a lot of places to go to in Sosua (Look at Richard's tour of Sosua, it is a great post in the Archives: Richard: Sosua)
Boca Chica: the South Shore Sosua with a rougher reputation and more expensive to get to city of Santo Domingo.

I think I like Sosua. You can have all the fun you can handle in that neck of the woods..

HB

Jean&Megan

Oct 21, 2002
sosua it is...

Thanks for the replies, we spent a lot of time looking around here and on other sites last night, I think sosua's our best bet for things to do with cheap accomodation. We don't really want the atmosphere of an AI, we'd like to mingle a bit more! We're going to stay at Hotel Tropix, it's gotten great reviews- any opinions out there? We'll be in town from dec 28 to jan 12, anyone who wants to get together or has ideas on things to see/do just drop a line!!

see you down there!

Jean & Megan

pascal

Jan 14, 2002
I'd go for las terrenas bearing in mind that tourism is very slow and nightlife doesn't really make any difference these days. This is a cosy place and as far as sightseeing is concerned ther is no competition with Sosua.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
How can Cabarete not enter into this discussion?

While I think Las Terrenas is delightful, it is impossible to weigh it versus Sosua without inserting Cabarete into the equation. Sosua without Cabarete is like talking about Miami without mentioning Miami Beach.

Cabarete will be the place for you to play several nights during your stay. There is no doubt.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re: sosua it is...

Jean&Megan said:
We're going to stay at Hotel Tropix, it's gotten great reviews- any opinions out there?

Tropix is a good choice if you don't want an AI. The owner/operator, Sylvie, is a knowledgeable about Sosua and the surrounding area and should be able to provide information and help as you plan your activities for your stay. The hotel isn't large and is located in a very quiet area, but it is within easy walk of the beach and the center of town. It has its own pool and the pool area is a very nice place to swim, enjoy a drink, and meet others who are staying in the hotel. Among the clients are a number of very loyal guests who return year after year.