Greatest Dominican President

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Who was the best president of the Dominican Republic?

Please do not include the current or former
living president(s).

Moca

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Hi there...lots of threads like this in the archives...I don't really know of any Presidents that can really be called "great", but my money would be on Fernandez.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Trina,

I appreciate your input, but I stated in the opening post
not to include former living president(s). I am trying to stimulate
some new debate on the topic. I thought someone might
mention Ramon Nu?ez de Caceres.

Moca

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A lot of people would like to say Balaguer, now that he is dead. He was very conservative, and, at the time that was a very positive thing. He knew the society and could work within the constraints of a too large military presence (yes, by letting them steal as much as possible) and a very class conscious society. He also knew where the bodies were buried. He was a builder, not a too long range thinker, but then he did bring in the Chicago Boys (Friedman and Co.) and got Herrera started, even if it later proved to be a mistake. On the negative side, he let the army do a lot of payback and there were several cases of newspapermen getting killed. Some of these have never been really cleared up...
I think the worst one was the killing of Amin Abel on the steps of his house. Never could forget that one. He was an effective leader.
Others will have to look further back...maybe they will find someone, but I tend to doubt it. Fernandez? Time will tell, he is young yet and if he governs again perhaps he can let some of the other people feed at the trough...

HB

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
Caceres, M.

It seems that he was one of the few that keep his party member from commiting ilegal act. Such as making thre hundred new millionaire from his friends. My grandfather use to travel in his caravan (both my grandfather and Trujillo were his godchildren and spend their summer with him)as he liked to meet his people. Villa Trina is named after his wife. He loved the hills. Trujillo came into power when he came to the US for cancer treatment, and the San simmon partically deatroyed the Capital and Trujillo took the oportunity and declare himself president.

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
Trujillo was a Dictator and Balager was His popect

While Trujillo was ditactor Balager serve (de tapon) for several elections, that is one of the reason that keep me out of Dominican politics, When I returned in 1984 I recieved a request from Mr Balager to visit. I did not choose a political party. I still feel that each person should be an independent when voting. That will insure that everyone whose running stays on tract.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I don't think the DR has had any "Great" president, yet. I think up until now all we've had are mediocre people in power. Some of them have been very intelligent people (Balaguer, Juan Bosch), other very ruthless ( Trujillo, Lilis, etc), but I can't think of anyone who has had the combination of vision, decisiveness, carisma, and common sense to be called a great president in my book. From my generation I like Fernandez, because I think he has a clear vision of what the country needs to do to become a developed country. On the other hand I think he was weak and undecisive. He didn't have the gonads to reign in his people and finish off the Partido Reformista, and it cost him dearly. As a result we will have PRD for at least 12-16 more years.

OpenMindUSA

"They uh, was givin' me, 10,000 watts a day, you,
Jul 2, 2003
Best president ever

Best president of all time for me was and still is:

RAFAEL LEONIDAS TRUJILLO MOLINA

True, he was not a perfect president and I do not agree with ALL
of his methods, politics and doings.

Keeping in mind the times, moral codes and religious convictions of the era, the country has not seen better times-days since his ERA, I.E:

-Economy- RD$ value over US$- worldwide
-Education- all levels- plus incentives for higher education.
-Unemploynment- lowest ever
-Illiteracy- lowest ever- per capita
-Crime- lowest ever
-Art - all areas
-Drama
-Sports in general
-Eternal debt to USA paid in FULL (Presently owed?..............)
-General population high self esteem
-General population positive ethnicity reputation and
-recognition outside RD.
-Best general public utilities- ALL- per se
-Assistance to the poor program and " feeding the hungry daily"
-Best ever Armed Forces & Police- trained & equipped.
- World Wide recognition as one of the cleanest City.

Just to name a few.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"President" Trujillo

Lack of Human Rights!

To name just a ONE!

Hitler made the trains run on time!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Hormiga

Jun 25, 2003
Bosch - supposedly he cleared the national debt while in office for only a few months.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
best president

some say that the best president that the dr have had was Dr joaquin balaguer. althought he was in power for many years and at the beginning he was very strict with his politics and many say that he stole a few elections, he was also a ver respected and admired president. even the presidents that were elected after him, showed balaguer the most sincere respect and some even say that the presidents that came after him, were basically elected by him. one thing i know, balaguer was one of the most intelligent person that ever took the presidency in the dr. as we all know, he was dictator trujillo's right hand back in the 40's, 50's and 60's (trujillo was killed in the early 60's). he also wrote all of trujillo's speeches and balaguer never looked at a piece of paper when taloking to the dominican people. i am not a big balaguer fan, but as john f kennedy used to say: balaguer was one the greatest mind in the world. remember this is only my opinion and i am going based on what my ancestors saw and lived and what i read. gracias por dejarme expresar lo que siento (thanks for letting me express what i feel)

miguel

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
trina said:
Hi there...lots of threads like this in the archives...I don't really know of any Presidents that can really be called "great", but my money would be on Fernandez.

guess again.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
JOCHYPLAYA said:
The best Dominican president ever was Rafael Leonidas Trujillo.
Balaguer was the second best.

trujillo? they are asing for the best dominican president, not the worse or the most criminal!!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: Best president ever

OpenMindUSA said:
Best president of all time for me was and still is:

RAFAEL LEONIDAS TRUJILLO MOLINA

True, he was not a perfect president and I do not agree with ALL
of his methods, politics and doings.

Keeping in mind the times, moral codes and religious convictions of the era, the country has not seen better times-days since his ERA, I.E:

-Economy- RD$ value over US$- worldwide
-Education- all levels- plus incentives for higher education.
-Unemploynment- lowest ever
-Illiteracy- lowest ever- per capita
-Crime- lowest ever
-Art - all areas
-Drama
-Sports in general
-Eternal debt to USA paid in FULL (Presently owed?..............)
-General population high self esteem
-General population positive ethnicity reputation and
-recognition outside RD.
-Best general public utilities- ALL- per se
-Assistance to the poor program and " feeding the hungry daily"
-Best ever Armed Forces & Police- trained & equipped.
- World Wide recognition as one of the cleanest City.

Just to name a few.

u also forgot to mention all his crimes
- the 15, 000 haitians that he sent this police to kill
- the mirabal sisters that he killed just because one of them refused to be raped by him.
-all the dominican people that lost their lives because they did not liked his dictatorship
-over 30,000 dominicans that dissapeared and were never heard of because they had an opinion different than his.
- all the money that him and his family stole from the dominican people.
-the masacre in santiago were more than 3, 000 lost their lives and the masacre all over the country.

those of u that say that trujillo was the best president, i know that u r saying that because he did not killed one of your family member of lived in dr when he dominated the dominicans with a iron fist. read some books and u will see what i am talking about. specially a book written by juan bosch titled: TRUJILLO: CAUSAS DE UNA TIRANIA SIN EJEMPLOS (TRUJILLO: CAUSES OF A TIRANY WITHOUT EXAMPLES). READ IT AND LET ME KNOW HOW GOOD THAT CRIMINAL WAS.

miguel

saturnc15_DR

Jul 6, 2003
Best President......

I am ashamed that today people think Trujillo and Balaguer were the best Dominican presidents. It would be interestnig to see if you would still think they are the best if members of your family had been killed by these cruel dictators.
The best Dominican presidents have been Juan Bosch and Antonio Guzman.