Dominicans Too Tolerant of Abuse?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Two interesting items in today's DR1 News Summary on the subject of the tolerance of Dominicans toward abuse. One speaks of the seeming acceptance of abuse by the police, the other urges Dominicans to be more vocal about being over charged for electricity.

Are Dominicans too tolerant? If so, why? Are they too disorganized? Is it because they believe what happens to them is God's will and must be accepted? Is there something in their blood that causes them to be too tolerant? Is it because the leaders who should be leading the protest are in cahoots with the abusers?

I've often thought during the 16 years that I have lived here that the Dominican people are surprisingly tolerant of all of the abuse that has been heaped on them during this period. I'm sure that in many countries there would have been less tolerance by the people.

The tolerance of the people is a plus in many ways; it keeps the DR out of the news attention focused by CNN and others on organized, effective protest movements. And I would rather not have to put up with the inconvience caused by nationwide strikes.

But I do think that the Dominican people would be better off if there was less confidence on the part of political leaders and others that they can pretty much do what they please without fear of any repercussions as the polls or elsewhere.

Why this tolerance of abuse? Is there any reason to believe that it will not continue--both the abuse as well as the acceptance of it?

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Ken
I too have wondered about this over the years,however i have notice that aggresiveness is on the rise and they accept less shit than before some of this is good sometimes it is bad

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"The bamboo bends under the weight of the snow,
Then it straightens up."

Someday, and I hope it is not too violent. There has never been that type of violence, revolutionary violence, here. Never enough people, Church too weak and ineffective and poor. One of these days, like Jackie Gleason used to say...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Seems like we spoke just a bit too soon. If you saw last night's TV or today's newspapers, you will see that there was a near riot in front of the EDE Norter offices in Santiago and two pwople got hurt. There was some broken glass at the front of the offices.

It is really a complicated situation, since there are extremely volatile forces at play:
1) The obvious power play of the Spanish conglomerate-Union Fenosa provoking xenophobism
2) the incapacity of the government to deal effectively with these people (Fenosa)
3) The rate increase that are going to put a lot of people in serious financial straits-both households and commercial entities
4) The need of the Dominicans that are working for Union Fenosa to protect their jobs in the face of ostracism from other Dominicans
5) The profound feeling of helplessness on the part of the consumers, which will lead to rage and violence.

It just might be starting

HB:(

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
Lack of COJONES

You know what's the problem here? It's call lack of COJONES. All these M... F.. Spaniers come here and do whatever they want because all these politicians kiss their white asses for money. I say, 'Hang them all, Hang them high'...

Jrod (primus inter pares)

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Blame those Dominicans that signed the privitization contracts. They knew exactly what they were signing off on. First, audit them - the individuals. Let's see what they got in exchange for signing those contracts.

The Dominican people CAN make it no longer profitable to gouge. Unrest is one way. Sabatoge and Destruction is another way. That's what will probably happen.

The Dominican government could play stupid. Knowing they were screwed with the current agreements, while perhaps they cannot get out of the contract, they can easily declare that the electric companies get no more protection than any other company. That would send one hell of a signal to the people in charge - they don't want to die or have thier businesses looted and destroyed by angry mobs. That would not be profitable.

Last edited:

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Re: Lack of COJONES

JROD said:
You know what's the problem here? It's call lack of COJONES. All these M... F.. Spaniers come here and do whatever they want because all these politicians kiss their white asses for money. I say, 'Hang them all, Hang them high'...

Jrod (primus inter pares)

Care to be a bit more precise in what you are trying to say? Do you have any experiences, examples of illegitimate Spanish influence or interference on Dominican public affairs?

leja

Oct 16, 2002
standing up and demanding rights...

In today?s List?n Diario:
Decenas de personas portadoras del VIH/SIDA decidieron ayer romper el silencio ante la falta de recursos para su tratamiento, y realizaron una vigilia frente al edificio de las oficinas del Consejo Presidencial del SIDA COPRESIDA), en la Plaza de la Salud, para demandar del Gobierno atenci?n integral, servicios m?dicos y los medicamentos antirretrovirales. Los pacientes, miembros de la Red Dominicana de Personas que Viven con VIH/SIDA (REDOVIH), unos con los rostros cubiertos y otros descubiertos, permanecieron en el lugar hasta el mediod?a, con pancartas contentivas de sus demandas. En el lugar fueron colocadas prendas de vestir de pacientes fallecidos ante la imposibilidad de comprar sus medicamentos. No obstante, las esperanzas de lograr esa atenci?n integral no parece estar muy cerca.
Although I don?t doubt the last sentence, it?s good to see people organizing, standing up, and publicly demanding their rights.

~Leja

ajicaribe

Dec 5, 2002
I agree with Ken. We have put up with a lot from our leaders.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time the country is betrayed by its leaders, and they abuse the power, enrich themselves with our fundings, etc.

At then end of day all the leaders we had, have not been capable of even addressing the basics problems of the country, such as luz, agua, salud.
We elected them to guide us, they have mislead us big times.

The day something like that happens in the D.R, would be the end of time.
Like Juan Luis said in his merengue: " Somos un ajuguero en medio del mar y el cielo" . I think we will continue to be so.

Last edited: