Church & DR Politics / Policies

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Why in the 21st Century does the Church have to get involved in all that the government is trying to do.

The Government can't even start an anti corruption propaganda without the cardinal getting some cramps.

Is it not time to get away from this medieval age practice so that the country can progress like any other??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I, for one, would like to see the church get more involved. The people need protection from all the abuse being piled on them by the government and its agents. If the church isn't strong enough to intercede for the people, who is going to? The only alternative is rebellion; I'd rather that it was a strong, influential church.

This government is going to bring an end to corruption? Give me a break.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
The Catholic Church is one of the most currupt and immoral institutions on this planet and you want them to help stamp out abuse? The First thing the DR should do is Tax the Church.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tony C said:
The Catholic Church is one of the most currupt and immoral institutions on this planet and you want them to help stamp out abuse? The First thing the DR should do is Tax the Church.

If true, where will relief come from? Not the government and its agents; they are responsible for much of the abuse.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Ken said:

If true, where will relief come from? Not the government and its agents; they are responsible for much of the abuse.

It won't be from the church. They are part of the problem. Where was the church during the time of Trujilo? Where was the Church during Hitler and Stalin? Hell didn't the Pope recently visit Cuba and kiss Castro's Ass.
All the church truly cares about is protecting its Ass and Assets!
Honestly, I see no relief comming anytime soon!

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
I'm not going to start debating on whether the Catholic Church is moral or not, as I don't think it's an appropriate topic to discuss in this board. However, I think that the Church's participation in dominican politics is quite an interesting topic.

Tony, do you live in the DR?

The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of dominicans claims to be Catholic, and by involving the Church an extra degree of confidence is given to any process. This majority trusts its religious leadership and that they will do all they can to make sure that things go right. This is something that can't be ignored by any of our polititians.

I wouldn't say that Mons. Agripino is liked by everyone in the country, but people do get some relief when they know that either him or the Cardenal are involved in these processes.

The trust in the Church might come from the fact that when a public hospital runs well it's probably because nuns run it, and the same thing goes for houses for the elderly. It might also come from the fact that for every scandalist priest, there are another 10 doing good things quietly for their parishes. And these things grant an advantage to the Institution.

Oh, and one more thing ... I'm not sure if this is the case for the current "Dialogo" but usually other congregations (Baptists, Pentecostals, etc,) also have representatives involved.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is simple, really. It is the only institution that can moderate these crisis. Agripino is truly the confident of the vast majority of all the powers that be. Not because they like him, necessarily, but rather because they can trust him.

Twenty or more years ago there was a growing conflict between businessmen, labor and the government. The solution was to call for and carry out a Tripartate Dialogue. For months they met and hammered out problems, and as a result we have had pretty fair labor peace these past two decades.

Yes, I believe in the separation of church and state, but here it is not going to happen in the foreseeable future. Tony might well have some valid points, as to taking care of themselves first, but I do think they have learned a thing or two over the years. They were in large part responsible for Trujillo's downfall. Jojocho is also quite accurate. And there are 57 delegates at the National Dialogue, including representatives from the Protestant sects...

It all boils down to who are you going to trust? There is a crisis here that needs to be solved. This is one way to skin the cat..

HB
bandit.gif

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
It all boils down to who are you going to trust? There is a crisis here that needs to be solved. This is one way to skin the cat..

I agree. In fact, I worry that the alternative may be violence. The government has demonstrated that it isn't going to change its ways without pressure.

qisqeyana@aol.c

Apr 19, 2002
Since the church has such influence...

I know that the church will give a warning to those that are dishonest , Get solid evidence and present to your parish... In Santiago I know from my mother the warning read out during Sunday mass with the penalty of excomunication hanging over their heads , to a certain parishner, this system can be use for the political offices they will have change.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
IMHO the church is a huge part of the problem. Specifically the catholic church. They help maintain the status quo, because they benefit from it. There is an unholy marriage between the church and state in the DR. The government gets support from the church (I.e. People are going to go on a general strike, the cardinal calls for patience, dialogue, blah...blah...blah...the strike is cancelled or held off until the situation is "resolved"), the church in turn gets whatever it wants (I.e. Brand new church buildings paid for by the government with money that could be better spent on schools or hospitals). The catholic church propagates ignorance in a country already lacking in education (I.e. advocating to not use preservatives in country with a very high rate of births and AIDS). Not to mention what the priests do. With the large amount of pedophile priests that exist and what they get away with, even in the US, I can only imagine what they get away with in countries like the DR, where justice in nonexistent, and nobody dares accuse a priest of wrongdoing. I would love nothing more to see the state tell the catholic church to go F%$* themselves. To stop meddling in politics, to build their own churches, just like all other religions do, and to divert whatever money the church gets now to planned parenthood.
Having said all that, I have to acknowledge that the reality is a very different story. The catholic church wields enormous power in the DR. I remember in 1978, my grandmother (who was a longtime Balaguer sympathizer) telling me that she was to vote for the PRD, because the priest had said in church that Balaguer was not good and to look at the alternatives...meaning The PRD. As a result Balaguer lost the election. In other words if you want to stay in power in the DR you have to play ball with the catholic church, whether you want to or not.