Salary Increases for Private Employees?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Has there yet been a mandate with respect to salary increases for private employees.

Do such mandates apply to part-time house keepers?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No. HOusekeepers and other house servents are not covered, as yet by any of the new social legislation. If it were, they would mosly lose their jobs. Probably why this group of very nice people are dying out...

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, HB.

What about private employees with "regular" jobs. Has there yet been a mandate of salary increases for them? If so, up to what salary level does it apply, how much is the increase, and when does it take effect?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Labor laws seem to be extremely unclear what private employers concerns.
I have three official opinions from three different lawyers
all say different.
The general consensus seems to be that no law applies to private employers re housekeepers and gardeners.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Paul, but what about employees working in stores, hotels, etc? In particular, I am wondering whether increases have been mandated by the people employed by our condo complex for the office, maintenance and security. Has there been an increase mandated for them? If so, up to what salary level? What is the percentage increase mandated? When must the mandated increase be implemented?

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
no not mandated. only for goverment employees.
Hipo said he would like to see the private sector to follow.
but as of now its only a request .
my guess is force will soon follow.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
From what I have been reading in the papers, these employees will be covered under the new Social Security Law. That will be a hit onthe Condo's budget....You will have to look into that. And with inflation what it is, see yesterdays papers!

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Unfortunately, I just talked to a HR person for Tricom, and she told me that it is their understanding that all minimum wage people get the increase. Government employees have been told that there will be no wage increases this year. For what that is worth. Oh yes, the Social Security system won't be put in place in this area, Santiago and POP until 2004, according to estimates...

HB