Sex on the beach... or... infection on the beach... the sobering reatliy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
ok ok ok...
please don't kill me for asking.

I HEARD that the tourist area people (especially the chics) have an unusually high rate of STDs...

does anyone know what the scoop is on that one?
or is it one of those myths travelers spread around?

i don't think the people over there are really big on condoms.

somebody please explain this to me... as i am as ignorant and blind as you can get about this topic in the dominican.

please teach me

thank you

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Good chance of infection in the DR. Know nothing about the practices in other areas, but the young men that I talk with at the gym and elsewhere in Sosua (they aren't sankis, however) seem to be making increased use of condoms and oral sex to reduce their chance of being infected with HIV. All have friends who are infected and don't want to go down the same road.

One of the young men that I know even asked me to get him some information off the internet because he wanted to know how to better protect himself from SIDA (AIDS in English).

Last edited:

Rosanie

Sep 20, 2002
I do not think it is a myth and I think STD's are a problem everywhere!

I think that most Domincians use condoms (when they can, when they have money) but it is very hard to give any reasons why or why not people do not use condoms. I do not know if the chicas have a higher rate of STD's than the chicos. statistics are needed!

I do know of a girl that was in DR with her Dominican boyfriend. Went home to Canada and realized that she had a STD. She took the necessary medication to clean it up and brought some medication for her beau in DR. If she were a little more attentive to the situation she would realize her boyfriend sleeps around, not only when she is away but when she is living with him in DR. She is still involved with him and quite naive as to how she got the STD in the first place. GO FIGURE?!?!

Another tourist I met was getting tested for HIV and Hepatitis since her lover told her 2 years after knowing one another that he may be infected and she better get checked out. HELLO???

This does not make sense.

Testing should be done before you get invloved in a long term relationship - if you are just having a fling, insist on condoms and save your life. I think Domincians are just as aware of STD and HIV as others in the world and like them, take precautions to avoid getting infected but like others in the world there are some that dont care and dont want to know if they are sick or not.

STD's and AIDS are a risk anywhere you go!

My 2 cents worth :)
Rosanie

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not much, X-man. She indicated she didn't think condoms were being used by DR men and I indicated that the talk I have been hearing lately among the young men at the gym in Sosua I go to was that there was increasing use of condoms out of fear of sida.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Rosanie...

I have to say I do not know of any dominicans that use condoms. and it isn't because of the price... they just have this "it would never happen to me" attitude. or I know where that girl has been she is clean, that's why everyone likes a virgin. I am talking about campesinos not those that live in cities.

And yes STD's are everywhere but some are not even preventable even using condoms, such as HPV.

I think your friend was very smart about treating herself and her boyfriend. It doesn't mean he's been sleeping around (of course unless you have proof), perhaps he had it before hand. I don't think contracting an STD is grounds for dumping your significant other.

There are risks to everything in life, sex is just another one of them!

Be Safe!

kj

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
most common stds are cured within days with 4 strong antibiotic pills. sort of like a shot gun approach and an injection on the butt. No big deal. As far as the aids are concerned, I thinks its a myth. If my friend Tio juanma didn't get it by now, then no one will ever get it. If you only knew what he sleeps with....Hahahahaha

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
STD's

Yes, there are STD's in the RD. Unfortunately probably more per capita in the Latino society than in others. Why, machismo and its culture. Denial of the truth. Men here don't use condoms, they would not be a man if they used one. It's up to the woman to protect herself and her partner.

Watch a few programs of "Laura" and you will observe what I'm communicating. A recent program had a young girl "embarizada" (pregnant) by a married man who was playing the whole field. She was pregnant and had a STD passed on to her from him. Laura denounce the hombre and questioned him that if he was going to play the field why he did not use condoms. His answer to her was, why should I, I'm the man, it is up to her to protect herself, she is the one embarassed. Ignorance and machismo at its best folks.

My wife before retirement worked as an infection control nurse in public health in MA. Her facility had an area set aside just for SID (AIDS) patients. During her last year 100% of the clients were latino, what does that tell you?

Therefore, if you want to come to the DR and fool around it is your choice. But, please protect yourself and your partner from STD's or unwanted pregnancies. Better still, don't fool around. Regards, PJT

D

Dubld

Don't play? Come on! Those risks are at home as well. My last trip to DR I met a cutie who came fully equipped with condoms and INSISTED on them, which is I agree rare, however perhaps a bright spot and others may follow suit.

Who knows if he had lost friends or not....he is one smart player among many stupid ones. Glad I found him.

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
i think they should have condoms supplied at the clubs (especially in the tourist areas) like they do in so many clubs here.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
As always be prepared. Pack your condoms with your
suntan oil, if you are looking to play.

Have fun, but please play it safe,

Moca

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Every "CABANA" supplies free condoms!

Nobody ever uses them! The young girls want to get pregnant.That is how the "cycle" is continued!Young poor girl,nobody at home pays any attention to her,her "Father"?,yea right,what "Father"?,she is looking for unconditional love,BABIES give unconditional love! The "Cycle" continues! CRIS

JOHNNY HONDA

Motorcycle MANIAC
Sep 25, 2002
Villa Trina said:
As always be prepared. Pack your condoms with your
suntan oil, if you are looking to play.

Have fun, but please play it safe,

Moca
Now thats a combo I can realy go for condoms and suntan oil,hold on its getting slippery;)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Oh!, By the way.

WHO, World Health Organization issue a list of the "Ten Top Health Hazards" facing the world today; see accompanying website. Guess what was number two on the list? "Unsafe Sex", STD's. Take a look at the other hazards and you will get an idea as how pervasive the STD's are. Regards, PJT

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20021030_1116.html

Lee-Lee

Oct 17, 2002
that's quite an article... it's a shame to read that unprotected sex has caught up to the second place in the year 2002. I mean, you'd think we'd be educated enough by now? and even if the region we travel to might not fancy the idea... it kinda makes us even sillier to throw our guards off 'in the heat of the moment' for something that, quite possibly, could be with us every remaining moment until we die.

condoms are the way to go....
and for the guys that do know what theyr'e doing... especially the ones living in the region... why don't you preach/guy talk some of these dudes that you know have negative attitudes towards condoms? i'm not asking you guys to become public speakers... however, awareness should start spreading SOMEHOW.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.