Airport Near Nagua

JOCHYPLAYA

Aug 29, 2002
That's cool they are building an airport by nagua because mi familia have beach houses there and by playa grande. I would like to know exactly in what part of nagua they are building this airport.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
The new international airport at el Catey has become an on-again, off-again work in progress with the work mostly off-again. It seems that Aerodom doesn't have the funds to proceed full-speed on the project although they have plenty of money to invest in the country's other major airports and even finish construction of the new La Isabella airport in Santo Domingo.

When the new airport construction was announced (rather than finish the partially completed airport at Arroyo-Barril) a 2 year time frame was predicted. Reliable sources in Santo Domingo recently told me that we will be lucky to see the airport finished within twice that time frame.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There is also talk that the new Samana-Santo Domingo highway that is being built will make the airport near Nagua unnecessary.

One thing I have learned in 16 years of living in the DR: Just because a project was introduced with a great deal of publicity, including pronoucements by the President of the country, doesn't mean it will ever be constructed/completed.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Ken,
You are absolutely correct in adopting an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude. Although I think the new Santo Domingo-Samana highway will be completed (and relatively on schedule- remember the government GUARANTEES a certain level of revenue on this private enterprise), I've gotten to the point that I'm loathe to continue to publicise projects in and about Samana on www.samana.net I've had comments that I'm not frequently updating our News-Whats New section, but after giving many of these projects full coverage and support, I'm getting tired of wiping the egg off my face when they fall quite short of even modest expectations. For those readers that are interested in our Samana coverage, I'll do another News Update soon, but you better believe that this time there'll be a disclaimer attached to the reportage.