Dominican Entry Requirements!....

Kristybubs

Nov 9, 2002
Hi...

(wow - this site has really changed since the last time I used it!...)

Ok, my hubby is Dominican, but we are now residents in Florida.....

We want to go back to the DR to visit his family this trip we are only planning on staying for 4/5 days.

My hubby was told (by one of his sisters), that he HAS TO HAVE his DR ID Card (?? Cedula - excuse the spelling:confused: )

Big problem if this is true as he lost his wallet with the ID Card in it.........

Obviously he has his passport, and he has the US Visa in the passport showing that we are residents in the US at the moment only til December 2004... Does he really need the ID card, and if so, is there a way of getting it from a DR Consulate in the US (I have e-mailed them to ask this question too)

Many thanks

Kristy.....

Sanni1975

Jun 6, 2002
hi there,

i don't know how it is for you guys living in the US but shouldn't matter anyways as customs/immigration officers are the same over in DR.

my hubby is dominican too and they never ever asked for his cedula to enter the country. he's been living in germany for 3 yrs now and he's gone to DR 3 times, twice by himself, once we went both together.

he only had to fill in some paper when entering the country. ya know, tourists get their tourist visa card and dominicans get a white paper slip asking where they reside and where they'll stay and for how long. not much else. didn't really bother him to answer that.

so you should not worry too much as his passport is a legible DR identification itme/paper and they shouldn't cause you any trouble.

good luck,
sandra

S

Stephen

I have three Dominican friends (males ages 19 to 28) with US Tourist Visa's. Whenever I go to the states, one will usually go also. EVERYTIME they go from Puerto Plata, they are pulled aside and their visa's and cedula's are checked and they usually end up in the small room. THEN (THE PART I LOVE), ALL THE OFFICIALS TAKE TURNS SMELLING THE VISA. Are their nose's specially training like those dogs you see in the airport?????

Then, after all their bull, they are free to go. They try to extort them for money. Initially we would give them some, but now just refuse. They have never had any trouble ENTERING and usually they don't look at the cedula, but you better have it to LEAVE!!!!!!!

S

Stephen

Oh, another part I love, they compare the fingerprint on the passport to their finger!!!!! Are they actually trained to do this. I really can't believe that they are. I think that most of them are just jealous to see another Dominican being able to leave the country!

R&JRivas

Apr 28, 2002
My husband is also from Dominican Republic and is a resident of US (Florida), he lost his ceduela. Even though he shows his residency card they also want to see ceduela when leaving DR. It took a whole day to get we started out in Monte Cristi, they sent us to Mao, finally went and got it in Santiago. Good Luck

Sanni1975

Jun 6, 2002
Hmm, so they do make a difference between Dominicans leaving/entering for/from Europe and them for/from the US.....

Ok, they tried to make us go to that long line of AA-passengers as well where all your belongings are checked and where they are after money. But, I made them understand that we are on a charter flight from continental Europe and besides that, all baggage is mine and as they don't check other tourists I would not allow them to search through my stuff!

Maybe they think you Americans got more stuff that's interesting to them or you guys are richer ;) ???

Well, no one really understand them and how they behave.... The bad part is that you can't even be rude or arrogant or whatsoever as they might just pull you aside and won't let you enter the aircraft...

Much of these things happen because of them being jealous... That's one part I don't like about DR, they all want to get what maybe their neighbour has gotten already. And if they can't, they won't allow their neighbour to have that stuff neither.... Behaving like children "this is my toy - no it's not - but then you can't have it either".....:confused:

Well, hope we didn't scare you too much....

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: C?dula...this is a personal ID document issued to all Dominicans or Residents when they are 16 years ol. You can get a replacement c?dula in Santo Domingo or Santiago as soon as you get back. You need, probably, to go to the office that issued you your first c?dula, so you know the number. You need some fotos and a little bit of money, but not much. You do not need the c?dula to travel, but it is helpful, since the DR Immigration like to see it along with your passport.....
Besides you can vote for Hipolito next time too!

Actually, I am wondering if hubby has "Residency"or a multiple entry tourrist visa for the US?? I don't think that Green card holder have dates with limits on them... So it is possible that US Immigration will not want him back, unless he travels frequently...

A B-1 or B-2 Visa is for frequent travels, not for staying for 5 years!....

HB

Kristybubs

Nov 9, 2002
HB

Hi,

thanks for replying... No, he doesnt have a tourist visa.. I have an L1 work visa, which automatically provides and L2 visa for my hubby, which thankfully all went through quickly and smoothly and it never was an issue where he came from (unbelievable as I thought it was going to be a nightmare!!). We already have an application in aswell for green cards, as thats another good thing about my work visa, it gives me automatic rights to apply.

His sister said that she got her cedula from Puerto Plata!... And my hubby seems to think so?..... Although we have been here there and everywhere before for documents in teh DR.. Also, so I am prepared do you have an idea (roughly) of costs... And do you think there is anyway of getting an application form from here or DR consulate here?.....

I know one thing for sure, the next time he gets his cedula it will be left in a VERY SAFE place!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks again....

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
The only hitch in clearing immigration during our April, 2002 trip to the DR was in leaving from SDQ . They barely looked our way upon our arrival at SDQ, but leaving was another issue!

You see, my Dominican-born wife has permanent US residency (green card) but had an expired Dominican passport. We had noticed that fact before leaving the US and placed a call to the Dominican Consulate in Chicago. We were told "No problema", that her US green card would allow her clear passage.

Long story short, she was pulled aside at Las Americas and we were detained for some time - long enough that we could hear the AA people paging our names for boarding.

I finally told the Immigration agent very firmly and very loudly in Spanish that she couldn't detain my wife because she had been authorized to travel by the DR Consulate in Chicago and that it would be in her best interest to let my wife pass. It worked!

We will never, never do that again. :)

Swede

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
At a guess?? RD$100.....Certainly no more than that. You will spend more than that in bus or taxis.. POP is a good place and they can do that. Call the DR Consulate in Miami. the Consul is from POP, Alfredo Bordas and his son is called "Firi" I am sure that IF they can assist you, they will.

HB