Why do Cubans and PuertoRicans dislike Dominicans so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
I have talked to several PuertoRicans and Cubans and they all talk about how much they dislike them!but are unable to give me a clear reason of why..In your opinion why do Cubans and Puertoricans dislike Dominicans so much?

hansbert

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 1, 2002
linguisticservices.aio-world.net
The reasons cannot be purely racial. In PR and Cuba a lot of black people are living. It must be rather due to the mentality of the Dominicans and their way of behaving characterized by a lot of ignorance, arrogance and irresponsibility.Many people are not prepared to cope with that.

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
They do not necessarily dislike us, we are just better at third-rate romance and low-rent rendezvous.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
our flag means something!!!

Never heard of Cubans not liking us and Puerto Ricans are just jealous:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
the Cubans in Miamia are jealous because we have a country and they don't/. The Cubans in Cuba know full well that for the next twenty years the DR will still be better ttahn Cuba in tourism and industry. The "Ricans are jealous that they are not really a country. Some are pissed that so many Dominicans go there to live off the Welfare system that they thought they had for themselves. Let's see, what other generalities can I come up with??

HB, rabble rousing???

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Maybe because all the trash Dominicans throw in the ocean floats up to the Cuban shores. Just a guess.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
So far, sadly, Mondongo's explanation is the one that has the most basis in reality and fact from what I've seen.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
What the hell are you people talking about? The Cubans get along great with Dominicans. Yea sure there are a few who have a problem with race but in General the Cubans love Dominicans. If Anything it is the other way around. Lots of Dominicans(Including many on this Fourm) take shots at Cubans every chance they get. Jealousy makes them that way.
As for Puerto Ricans...... Who cares? Nobody likes them amyway

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
I may be in the minority here, but I always thought that Cubans, P.Ricans and Dominicans thought of each other as one of the same. The Marielitos that I met over 20 years ago were cool, and so are the cuchucientos mil Boricuas that I know.
Watching those dominoes-playing Cubans down in Miami, sipping coffee and talking about Fidel is as romantic as listening to those plena-singing, generous-to-a-fault Boricuas from La Isla. Y que tu me dices de esos salsa-dancing masters NewYoRicans from the Bronx? Cool people.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
It doesn't matter who they are. Dominicans dislike anybody they percieve as being of a lower status, anybody they percieve as thinking they are of higher status than they are, and anybody of higher status they percieve as condescending or not recognizing the status of the Domincan in question, per the Dominican's perception.

Any native Spanish speaking person is immediately given "potential tigre" status over typical gringos.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Anyone remember "West Side Story" ??

"....And I don't like anyone very much!"

Way ahead of its time.

HB

jose?to

Jun 19, 2002
I must admit, however, that we Dominicans are in general very vociferous and a bit arrogant. The ones that are supposedly polished, speak slower and use correct words. Thus wanting to be perceived as "educated", and usually have lots of money, and if they don't know SOMEBODY, then they know somebody who knows SOMEBODY. Some on this board are of that ilk.
I just want to inform the non-Dominican members of this board that not all Dominicans act and think in an arrogant manner. Some of us really love our Cuban and Puerto Rican brothers. And some--well, few of us--actually love our Haitian brothers. Some of us could talk like "tigueres" when in company of "tigueres", and still go to a funeral to pay our respect and behave accordingly. No pretentions and no air of superiority, and no illusions of grandeur. We are usually considered "pariguayos".

P.S...most of you know what a "tiguere" is, but spell it as "tigre".
"Tiguere" is part of the Dominican lexicon, as well as "tigueraje" and "tiguerito". "Tigre", or tiger, is an entirely different animal.
"Pariguayo" dates back to the "Danza de los Mill?nes" (Million dollar waltz) era, 1916-1924 US occupation of the island. A party of US soldiers would go out on the town, one soldier would be assigned the duty of "party watcher", which meant he could not drink and/or get it on with the girls. Party watcher evolved into "pariguayo".

Jose?to
The epicenter of all things "pariguayo"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
jose?to Does that mean that a "pariguayazo" is a pariguayo with tire marks all over him???

Sorry, folks, an "insider" joke??

Hehehe

HB

earosemena

Aug 18, 2002
This implied blanket resentment for fellow Caribbeans is and old myth. Speaking for one Cuban, (me) I take people for what they are and not for the color of the skin or their nationality. As a Japanese friend of mine says: "Idiocy has not ethnic barriers."

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Here is mine

There are too many generalizations here. I believe the whole thing is a class and political problem.

Dominicans are mostly pro-Fidel Castro. Therefore they hate Gusanos, not Cubans. Dominicans and real Cubans(Those in the island) have a respect and friendship towards one another. Jealousies between peoples are normal. We may have an envy for Cuban amateur sports figures, but Cubans look up to our major league players and see a challenge. They hate the freedom we have. We wish we had their health and education.

Gusanos are hated by the entire world, not just us. The American people wish they just go away, but have to live with them.

Puerto Rico is a different story. There are the Puerto Rican blue bloods and the rest. The blue bloods not only hate Dominicans, they hate everybody who is not in their circle. Our Dominican blue bloods are simpler people.Obviously, Dominicans in DR are not hated. What is hated are DominicanYorks, DominicanRicans, or Dominican inmigrants, who are the scum of the Dominican people. Most Dominican inmigrants are low class, uneducated brutes. They are arrogant, ill-spoken and ignorant. Most are hard workers, and honest but they are still crap.

Even Dominicans here are not too fond of Dominicans abroad. We take their money(most poor families live off their income) but we still hate their guts. It takes the government doing publicity campaigns to be sure we welcome these boat and lechera people back with their greenbacks and gifts every Christmas. The worst crimininal element in DR is exported back to us. Most Dominicans abroad are society*s economic and social rejects, unless they are rich students or people looking for masters degrees and PHDs, or in serious business.

I love Puerto Ricans in general. Puerto Ricans are an important tourist factor in DR. They have the best music in the world, bar none. Their artists are the best in Latin America. Be it salsa, merengue, bolero, reggeton, rap, guajira, pop and even rock they do it all better than everybody. They are ready to take over bachata soon. I dislike their baseball players, but it is just the competition. They have the second finest, after us, pound for pound. They are the best dancers in the world. Their New York dancers have no equals anywhere. They just plain cool people. Puerto Ricans hate Dominican inmigrants, but when they visit DR they have a differnt view of us. They know we are pretty much alike. Except for Venezuelans, there is no other nationality as similar as we are as Puerto Ricans. When I lived in the U.S. nobody thought I was Dominican. They identified me as PR. Thats because Puerto Ricans in New York are mostly light skin and very modern in their looks. Dominicans look "atrasao".

As for the politics. We hate Puerto Rican dollar power. They hate our sovereignty and nation power. Other than that is just politics and inmigration.

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
"Gusanos"? Jeez TW! Can't you come up with a better word than that? After all does anybody still believe that crap they right in Granma?
Your just another Dominican who is jealous of all the success we have had in the US! BTW what happened to all those Dominicans who you said were going to be elected to the US House of Rep?

Tony C.

Status
Not open for further replies.